The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well:( I got some gas while I was running some errands.. As I gave it a little fun as I call it... I proceeded home.. I was on the local loop doing the speed limit 65mph and saw the check engine light on.. Steady not blinking.. Now from the gas station where I filled up and last time I went into the second cam, was about 8 to 10 miles from when the light came on.. I didn't think much of it, but I did get off at the next exit.. By the time I made it off the loop and into the nearest turn I knew that it wasn't good.. The light was now blinking, and now the motor didnt have any power.. Got it home, slowly none the less, and checked codes.. Number 2 misfire.. Pulled the plug.. And just thought to replace the plug and coil.. One had to be bad, right? No such luck.. So pulled all the plugs and unplugged the coils and injectors and did a compression test.. Number 2 completely dead.. All others right at 190psi.. Pulled the valve cover and some cam wear.. Idk.. That's where I'm at now.. I'll get my borescope tomorrow, see what I can see..

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
At this point, you will still need to pull the head...the way you are describing what had happened, my money is on one of the valve stems broke in the #2 cyclinder broke at the spring retaining clip.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, got the car to the shop.. Found the the valve snapped at the top of the spring where the retainer and keeper are.. I guessing that when it broke(the valve) It was on the way down, but the piston was on the way up, bent the valve into a fixed position.. Kinda luck.. That is if the head didnt crack or hurt my piston.. Find out tomorrow.. Have about 30 and the head will be out.. I would post pics but idk how..

·
Registered
189 Posts
Is there a way to eliminate this issue with these engines?

Do only the 05's suffer from this?

As a potential buyer for an Elise these blown up engine/ cam threads scare me.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard the opposite.. No car with this engine is in the safe zone.. Toyota, lotus, Pontiac..they all have this problem.. I wish I would have know b4 and I would have built the head already

·
Registered
191 Posts
At 23k miles I had a wiped intake cam and two snapped rockers. Decided to replace the whole head vs. just the cam and lifter bits and be done with it. Ordered complete head from Jim ( poster above this ). Was confident in Jim's experience that the head would be set up correctly and now have one less weak link to worry about.

·
Registered
846 Posts
how many miles?
sam
My 05 suffered these issues at 20K miles, fortunatly car was still under warrenty and Lotus replaced the whole lump...

·
Registered
189 Posts
The stock valve tips like to break once and a while. Luck of the draw.
Use Ferrea valves when you rebuild.
I have some pictures here. Ferrea Heads for Sale | Lotus
Hi, can you PM me please? Dont want to hijack. Would like to know the cost of a valve job, on a non damaged head, and how much an off the shelf repaired head is. I know old Ferrari's and Lambos well. Dont know much about Toyota engines in Lotus's. Thank you.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Head is off.. No cracks on either the head or block!!! So I ordered new cams and rockers.. And new valves and springs port and polish.. Keep y'all informed

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes sir.. I've heard though that.. Ferra springs wear more? Read this on monkey wrenches site.. Jim can you chim in.. Its a street car.. No track here in hill billy heaven..

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
You can run Eibach springs for less seat pressure. They are fine for stock rpm.
Stock retainers and keepers will save you additional money.
The new valves need to be top quality i.e. Ferrea.

I have not seen unusual wear with Ferrea springs on street cars. I did see the blurb on the MW site.
The engineers at Ferrea tell me the springs are fine for street cars. Fwiw

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jim how much for a stage 2 head eIbach springs titanium ratianers stock keepers and ferra valves out the door

·
Registered
189 Posts
Head is off.. No cracks on either the head or block!!! So I ordered new cams and rockers.. And new valves and springs port and polish.. Keep y'all informed
Can you pm or post the repair costs? i have taken apart Panteras, 308 Ferrari's, and old carb Lamborghini's ( all mine) , so its not like im a new guy. :) Just want to have an idea what stuff costs to fix if the car dies. Looking to buy an Elise. Doing my homework.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Jim how much for a stage 2 head eIbach springs titanium ratianers stock keepers and ferra valves out the door
I have heard that the Ti spring caps are not worth much for weight savings and it is best to stay with steel.
And this was from a guy that sells them.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can you pm or post the repair costs? i have taken apart Panteras, 308 Ferrari's, and old carb Lamborghini's ( all mine) , so its not like im a new guy. :) Just want to have an idea what stuff costs to fix if the car dies. Looking to buy an Elise. Doing my homework.
The intake cam and rockers 230.00
The exhaust cams and rockers 250.
Toyota head gasket set with all nessacry gaskets 230.00
Head port polish new valves springs retainers lookin at 1250 if you have a core
Head add 600 if you dnt

1 - 20 of 28 Posts