The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, lost my job today, therefor, no Elise for me. I won't have the funds and the money I was going to put down will now have to go towards my living expenses.

What do I do with my place in line? I've got a CO touring package coming in somewhere between car number 20-30. I've only put down $500 refundable.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
With the slow rate of delivery you still have hope. You car may not be here until late Fall. The economy is on the uptick so you should be able to find a job. What profession are you in?

Good luck.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Sorry to hear you lost your job. Post your credentials... maybe someone on the board is looking to hire someone and you're a good match. You should keep your spot as long as you can. You don't want to drop back 2 years just to save $500 bucks. Imagine if you find another job in the next week or two, you'd be pissed !!!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shinoo said:
With the slow rate of delivery you still have hope. You car may not be here until late Fall. The economy is on the uptick so you should be able to find a job. What profession are you in?

Good luck.
I was in the Call Center/Workforce Management area, also accounting areas.

I didn't get much severance, so the money I had saved up to put down on the Elise will now need to go towards paying for my house, cars, and other bills, so the Elise will likely not be in my garage anytime soon. :(

Thanks for the well wishes though.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
transio said:
Sorry to hear you lost your job. Post your credentials... maybe someone on the board is looking to hire someone and you're a good match. You should keep your spot as long as you can. You don't want to drop back 2 years just to save $500 bucks. Imagine if you find another job in the next week or two, you'd be pissed !!!
Thanks, your a good guy, I take back my mean PM to you a few weeks ago. :(

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Tidalwave,

If you can do accounting, look for a "job shop" that specializes in advanced accounting professionals. One of my friends is doing that and actually has fairly steady work. (She works for a company for a few weeks. Then they move her onto another project when that contract is done.) It's not quite like steady, full-time work... but she's making good money while she is working. And she hasn't had much time without work.

If you want, I'll try to find-out about the agency and let you know the name.

As for Call Center Management... that's a tough one. Look for large mail-order centers around your area. If they don't outsource their call center services, you might be able to get in there.

Bob

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rtking said:
Tidalwave,

If you can do accounting, look for a "job shop" that specializes in advanced accounting professionals. One of my friends is doing that and actually has fairly steady work. (She works for a company for a few weeks. Then they move her onto another project when that contract is done.) It's not quite like steady, full-time work... but she's making good money while she is working. And she hasn't had much time without work.

If you want, I'll try to find-out about the agency and let you know the name.

As for Call Center Management... that's a tough one. Look for large mail-order centers around your area. If they don't outsource their call center services, you might be able to get in there.

Bob
Thanks for the info Bob. I actually have gotten my last three jobs through places like you are talking about. That's how I'm hoping to find one again. I've had great luck so far.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
don't rush to get your deposit back. I have a feeling you are not thinking rationally now and will regret it later.

I find it hard to believe that someone who yesterday was planning on spending 40+ grand on what amounts to a toy now direly needs $500 just to make it to next month. Not to kick you while you're down, but if that's the case maybe this will be a wake up call for your financial planning skills.

My guess is that you're just momentarily panicing and it will pass. Since your deposit is refundable anyway, why not keep it there until you absolutely need it?

-Steve

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
offroadr35 said:
don't rush to get your deposit back. I have a feeling you are not thinking rationally now and will regret it later.

I find it hard to believe that someone who yesterday was planning on spending 40+ grand on what amounts to a toy now direly needs $500 just to make it to next month. Not to kick you while you're down, but if that's the case maybe this will be a wake up call for your financial planning skills.

My guess is that you're just momentarily panicing and it will pass. Since your deposit is refundable anyway, why not keep it there until you absolutely need it?

-Steve
I can probably hold out until the end of the year without a job, but I can't get a loan if I don't have a job. I also will have to dip into my savings, which some of that was going to go towards the car.

I'll wait on my deposit as long as possible, but if Dimmitt calls and wants 5K non refundable, then I'm going to have to pass.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I'm with these guys, dont worry about the elise yet until you feel pinched for the 500 bucks. If I recal there is a Sykes center in Tampa that does quite a bit of what your job description is; unless you did work for sykes.
Sorry dude, this bites.

·
Registered
394 Posts
atyclb said:
take delivery and sell it for a $5000-$10,000 profit
Months back your were telling me that it would not be possible to turn this car over for a profit, change your mind?

Adam p

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
tidalwave, just wanted to agree that you should not make any decisions right now. Getting laid off is traumatic. But sometimes good things come out of it. Getting fired was the best thing that could have happened to my career.

Investigate your options, formulate a plan. Take time to think.

Best wishes.

·
shay2nak
24,985 Posts
that's f-ed up. Sorry to hear it. You could take delivery of the car and sell it for a profit as others have already posted. Not a bad idea at all. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Just want to echo what Randy and others have said. Could be a blessing in disguise. I'm processing out of the navy a year earlier than I wanted to, thanks to a busted leg that isn't getting much better. I was really shook up at first, trying to figure out how I'd still be able to afford this car, but now I've found a job (going to work at MINI here in VA) and I think I'm going to like it. It looks like it will pay better than my last job, and it's decidedly less stress than my last job, and better hours too. Things will work out for ya, have faith! I'll add you to my list of Elisetalkers that I'm praying for.

Cade

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Sorry to hear about your job loss. It's happened to most if not all of us and it is tramatic.

But like others said, don't give up you spot just yet. I don't understand why your dealer would ask for an additional $5K. Usually, the initial deposit is enough. So long as they don't ask for the $5K, you may want to cross that bridge when you reach it.

If you keep track of how much Elises' are going for at the time of your delivery, you can better decide if you want to keep it, pass, or flip it.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MikeAR303 said:
...and more importantly, time to drink :D
My thoughts exactly, tonight is going to have to be a beer and pizza night. :)

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I've sent out three resumes since I've been home for jobs similar to what I was doing, and also have interviews set up with two job placement companies. Hopefully things work out for the best and I'm able to get the Elise. I'll hold off dropping my place in line until the last possible moment and work my butt off to find another job.

I was actually laid off from my company three years ago, but they found another job and kept me on. So, I've been laid off twice by them now. Chances of getting back on with them are slim, so I'm looking elsewhere.

Thanks again,
Dave

1 - 20 of 48 Posts