The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lotus Evora won't reach U.S. roads until 2010: AutoWeek Magazine

The guys in Europe will have first crack at Lotus's first all-new production car in more than a decade. Assembly of the Evora is under way, with deliveries of the 2+2 mid-engine coupe beginning in May.

North American will have to sit tight until the Evora lands here early next year.

Like its smaller and more extreme Elise/Exige brethren, the Evora is built on an extruded and bonded aluminum chassis. Sitting midship is a 3.5-liter V6 churning out 276 hp and 252 lb-ft of torque mated to a six-speed manual transmission. Lotus claims 0 to 60 mph will take about 5 seconds and a top speed of more than 160 mph.

In addition to the 2+2's interior configuration, the Evora also will be available as a two-seater with the rear seating area used for additional cargo space. Other Evora offshoots in the pipeline include an automatic-transmission-equipped model, a convertible and a rumored S version with a supercharged V6 with more than 300 hp.

Lotus calls the Evora its practical model with its larger dimensions, plusher interior surroundings and four-seater capabilities, but you would be a fool to think it is without the company's hallmark handling pedigree. The double-wishbone suspension features Bilstein shock absorbers paired with Eibach springs, and the car rides on Yokohama Advan Sport tires. Four-piston brakes are supplied by AP Racing.

The interior boasts a standard Alpine stereo, air conditioning, power windows, front leather Recaro sport seats, a flat-bottomed, leather-wrapped magnesium steering wheel and a leather-wrapped shift knob and handbrake cover.

Optional entertainment packages add an upgraded sound system with a subwoofer, more powerful amplifiers, an iPod connection and touch-screen navigation. A rearview camera also is offered. Performance enhancements are available through a Sport pack that boosts the Evora's throttle response and redline and add a sports traction-control mode, a sports diffuser, a titanium exhaust, cross-drilled brake discs and an additional oil cooler.

Pricing details for North America will not be available until the fall, but expect a base price in the low-$70,000 range when the Evora arrives next year.
Thats kind of a bummer, but at least its coming.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
It's not terribly far away since we're almost halfway through March and the Evora will be available to the first owners in May. So, it's will be about a 7-8 month difference assuming the first U.S. deliveries will be in January.

I think what I'm really waiting for is news on the U.S. pricing and when the Evora S will be available.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Bah I'm not waiting that long.
rotfl Well, now that you mentioned it, I was secretly thinking the same thing because I'm really liking the changes to the 2009 Boxster S (but it would be nice if it came with the same power as the Cayman S but I miss a convertible).

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I've been thinking about that too. My guess is that it's POSSIBLE there is no power difference and it's simply stated differently, or there's a very simply way to "unleash" that extra 10hp. I wouldn't think there are any major differences to stifle 10hp. I ought to ask the Boxster dudes.

And since you mentioned Porsche, I've been thinking this whole time about how the Evora has a NON high performance Camry engine when I can get a Porsche with the same weight and a more powerful PORSCHE engine for less coin...

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
And since you mentioned Porsche, I've been thinking this whole time about how the Evora has a NON high performance Camry engine when I can get a Porsche with the same weight and a more powerful PORSCHE engine for less coin...
Thinking the same thing. :up: In 2008, my expectations were the 280hp Evora would come in around 2,600 to 2,700 pounds which would help offset the modest power.

Also, I don't like to keep my cars too long so leasing works for me. Porsche dealers are offering some decent lease rates whereas Lotus dealers don't really have that option. Perhap Lotus may have something in place when the Evora arrives in the States (pending the economy of course).

That's probably why I don't feel the eager anticipation I did back in 2007 when the rumor of a 2+2, 300hp V6 Lotus was circulating.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are bonuses of a "non high performance" engine. Maintinence costs less (hopefully, I guess it depends on the dealer), and most of the time you get more durability. There are exceptions to the rule, but lets be honest; Toyota power in the Elise takes a huge question mark out of the Lotus dependability equation.

I think the perfect engine for the Evora would have been the Nissan VQ35. (Or VQ37) Great tourquey V-6 that is not that heavy, and has higher horsepower than the Toyota unit in the Evora.

Just my thoughts, I do like the car either way. If half of the orders I have heard about are true, Lotus has a hit on their hands already.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Just my thoughts, I do like the car either way. If half of the orders I have heard about are true, Lotus has a hit on their hands already.
I agree. I'm sure Lotus will not have a hard time selling the Evora in the U.S. for the few two years - especially if they're only bringing in 500 or so cars in 2010 (that's less than 1/4 off the Elise imported from 8/2004- 8/2005). By the time initial demand is met, the Evora S and convertible will be getting everyone's attention.

Also, my issues isn't so much the type of engine -just the power relative to the weight.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
There are bonuses of a "non high performance" engine. Maintinence costs less (hopefully, I guess it depends on the dealer), and most of the time you get more durability. There are exceptions to the rule, but lets be honest; Toyota power in the Elise takes a huge question mark out of the Lotus dependability equation.

I think the perfect engine for the Evora would have been the Nissan VQ35. (Or VQ37) Great tourquey V-6 that is not that heavy, and has higher horsepower than the Toyota unit in the Evora.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't give a poop about maintenance cost benefits over a Porsche engine since I'm sure we'll be charged the typical Lotus premium either way. Only parts will be cheaper.

Toyota engines are probably more reliable, but what if you are tracking the car a lot? I'd rather have a Porsche motor, without having any data to support that preference.

And then there's the issue of less power. 320hp in a Cayman S vs 276 in the Evora...That's not just a few HP in my mind. This is just how I think as a consumer and possible Evora buyer. Others might see it differently.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe it's just me, but I don't give a poop about maintenance cost benefits over a Porsche engine since I'm sure we'll be charged the typical Lotus premium either way. Only parts will be cheaper.

Toyota engines are probably more reliable, but what if you are tracking the car a lot? I'd rather have a Porsche motor, without having any data to support that preference.

And then there's the issue of less power. 320hp in a Cayman S vs 276 in the Evora...That's not just a few HP in my mind. This is just how I think as a consumer and possible Evora buyer. Others might see it differently.
Ill guess you have never worked on a Porsche engine then, :cool:

Your entitled to your opinion, but if I am tracking a car give me an engine I can swap in and out easy, and one that has a plentiful supply. Being a Toyota v-6 that has other applications, you blow it up on the track a replacement will not cost as much or be as rare as a Porsche engine.

Just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
That's somewhat funny, as Porsche brought in Toyota to show them how to mass-produce an engine economically, the result of which is the M96 engine used in the current Boxsters/Caymans. So you're kind of in the same boat either way as far as pedigree and construction are concerned. The power difference is another story though...

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Uh... I doubt the Evora is intended as such a track toy where people will need to be replacing motors left and right :D
Were you not the one that commented about tracking the car alot? :shrug:

What would the Porsche engine offer over the Toyota on the track, besides the acknowledged difference in HP?

In my experience, if you track a car a lot, crap happens. Its a lot easier on the wallet when the crap that you break is less expensive, less rare, and simpler to work on. This is why the Miata is a such a track slut favorite...

Just my thoughts...

The Lotus Evora just appeals to me more than the Caymen. A test drive will be in order, but if the Evora manages to keep some of the Elises dynamics with a bit more comfort and the torque of a V-6, I would pay the extra cash over the Porsche. The Caymen is a nice car though, I test drove one when they were released a few years back...

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
That's somewhat funny, as Porsche brought in Toyota to show them how to mass-produce an engine economically, the result of which is the M96 engine used in the current Boxsters/Caymans. So you're kind of in the same boat either way as far as pedigree and construction are concerned. The power difference is another story though...

That doesn't mean a whole lot as far as the final product is concerned.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Were you not the one that commented about tracking the car alot? :shrug:

What would the Porsche engine offer over the Toyota on the track, besides the acknowledged difference in HP?

In my experience, if you track a car a lot, crap happens. Its a lot easier on the wallet when the crap that you break is less expensive, less rare, and simpler to work on. This is why the Miata is a such a track slut favorite...

Just my thoughts...

The Lotus Evora just appeals to me more than the Caymen. A test drive will be in order, but if the Evora manages to keep some of the Elises dynamics with a bit more comfort and the torque of a V-6, I would pay the extra cash over the Porsche. The Caymen is a nice car though, I test drove one when they were released a few years back...

Maybe it's a psychological preference of motor :p I like the flat six configuration as well.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
....but if the Evora manages to keep some of the Elises dynamics with a bit more comfort and the torque of a V-6, I would pay the extra cash over the Porsche.
I remember hearing the Evora was faster around Hethel's (?) track than the Elise or was that the Exige? Can somone confirm?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think this is excellent news. Lotus obviously recognizes the shortcomings of this car and how that could lead to a less than stellar reception in the US. My theory is that the US car will be more powerful and lighter. The 2nd generation Elise was sold in Europe with 158 bhp. We were told that it would be offered here with the same power. Despite all the magazines raving about the Elise even with its low power, Lotus obviously knew that US buyers would be turned off by 158 so they gave us a different engine. 190 was the right power for the Elise; 158 would have been a disaster. Although, I can't imagine them fitting a different engine in the US version, my suspicion is that they will retune it to hit the 300 mark. Is it beyond Lotus engineering to fit a direct injection head onto the current engine? Hitting that psychological 300 mark will make a huge difference in this market. Also, there is no logical reason for this car to weigh nearly 3,000 lbs. They will find a way to shave 100 - 200 lbs before they bring it here. Those two improvements will make the non-pedigree engine moot and make this car what it needs to be. That’s my theory and I’m sticking to it.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Ill guess you have never worked on a Porsche engine then, :cool:

Your entitled to your opinion, but if I am tracking a car give me an engine I can swap in and out easy, and one that has a plentiful supply. Being a Toyota v-6 that has other applications, you blow it up on the track a replacement will not cost as much or be as rare as a Porsche engine.

Just my opinion.
X2

It is insane how cheap it is to repair/replace our Elise drivetrains.

A major service for your Ferrari can be $10-15k. You can buy an engine for this car for $2500.

The Toyota V6 in the Evora is an extremely reliable engine, especially if you ignore the early sludge problems attributable to dino oil + long intervals.

I'd rather have a cheap inexpensive engine with a fewer horses than an unreliable or expensive engine with more power.

Besides, as soon as its out, you're gonna see TVS superchargers that will easily make 400-450 HP.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Uh... I doubt the Evora is intended as such a track toy where people will need to be replacing motors left and right :D
+1

unlike the Elise/Exige, I don't see them marketing the Evora as a track-car for the street, or a street car for the track.

you really have to step aside and judge it for what it is, and not just by performance and HP.

Since a majority of Porsche owners couldn't care less about HP and care more about "brand identity", the same could apply to the potential Evora buyer who simply doesn't want to be another Porsche on the road - and is willing to spend $75k for a sports car that has the looks and handling (not HP of course) of a Ferrari costing 3x as much.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts