The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey...

I just need a place to vent a bit. I got my Elise about 6 months ago and I have been driving around with out-of-state plates for a while. I finally got the CA plates on about 2 months ago. I have been driving my Lotus to our standard lunch place... every week... and now suddenly I guess the city hired a few new meter maids that want to do everything right. :eek:

BAM!!! Two weeks in a row did I get the 'Display of Plates' ticket for $25.
C'mon... and they got my friends car too... :thwack:

These are fix-it tickets right?

Cheers...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Yep. Put the plate on, take it for inspection at station off of Santa Monica blvd, get it inspected, get your receipt, go home take the plate off, get a ticket again a couple of weeks later, etc. etc. It's a drag, but I can't stand front plates. None of my 5 cars have front plates. F'em.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
yeah if you park at a meter put it on. They're punks like that.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
I've gotten the ticket parked inside the LAX parking lot. Just paid the fine. No inspections.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Fine is $100 in San Francisco...and they really need the money. I don't park it in the city.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Consider a bit of clear velcro up front just for those times when you are on the street, I keep my front plate in the trunk

·
Registered
284 Posts
I got a ticket for no front plate at Balboa Park in San Diego a few weeks ago too. Totally uncool. $40 for the ticket.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I leave mine on all the time now. I in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM trust the, how can I describe it.........we all get tickets all the time, I go to court pay the fine. I'm just never sure , living here, that all the paperwork on their end is on teh up and up. Because of that I fear that every time I get pulled over they may have "something" on me that will cause me to get my car impounded, even if it's their F*CK up.

Maybe it was the time I got pulled over 20 feet from my house, and I had lost my license card, and they impounded my car ruining my day and costing me hundreds that makes me think they refuse to use common sense when pulling someone over.

I'll do whatever I can to avoid talking to those scumbags.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
My dad didn't have a front plate on his Infiniti for 3 years and didn't get a ticket :shrug:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
How about putting it inside the car on top of the dashboard? Does it still count as having a front plate?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
It's not even a real fix-it ticket, you can just pay it w/o having to do an inspection. I have a friend who gets this ticket all the time in his SUV and he just pays it and keeps the front plate off the car. If a cop writes you the ticket, then it's a fix-it ticket, but most cops now just let the meter maids collect that revenue.

Last time I spoke to a cop about this, he said you can't put the plate on the front dash as an alternative... guess it depends on how the meter maid is feeling that day.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
how about saving the ticket next time you get one, and keeping it in the car.

when you get out to park, put the ticket under the wiper.

this way, the cop figures that you just got written up that day, and wont give a second ticket the same day.

·
Registered
263 Posts
^that doesn't work at all with meter maids. They know if they've issued you a ticket or not, and trust me, it makes zero difference.

·
Registered
199 Posts
In Berkeley, the ticket is $35.00. If you get a cop to sign-off that you have the front plate on it's reduced to $15. Solved Problem by get a 8" strip of metal. Shaped it into a S. Drilled holes at each end and license plate. Attached the plate to one end of the S and attached the other end to the car using the screw that goes into the tow thingy.
I only put my front plate on in areas where the plate police are, like the Berkeley Rose Garden. Hate Meter Maids on wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
protect and serve... my ass! :mad:

Are you kidding? CA sales tax just went up... Vehicle license fees went up... CA needs feedin'!!!! Protect and serve... hah!!! You just got served!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts