The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got pulled in Garrett County last weekend on the way to a funeral.
Actually it was my hottie wife driving at the time.. could have batted her eyes if it wasn't for the A-hole in the passenger seat.
Gonna set me back $60, but I don't need this worry going forward..
Looks like the tag is going on soon... Damn it!

The trooper was looking for a reason... his head snapped when we went past...:(

·
Registered
51 Posts
no front tag

I also got a ticket in Maryland for no front tag. I paid the fine of $50 fine and thought that was the end of it. The next time I went to renew my insurance it had an extra charge on it for a violation which stayed with me for 3 years I believe. The end result was a final cost of $50+ $47x 3=$191. If you do not have any other violations you might get the fine dropped by appearing in court.

Good Luck

·
Registered
265 Posts
Got pulled in Garrett County last weekend on the way to a funeral.
Actually it was my hottie wife driving at the time.. could have batted her eyes if it wasn't for the A-hole in the passenger seat.
Gonna set me back $60, but I don't need this worry going forward..
Looks like the tag is going on soon... Damn it!

The trooper was looking for a reason... his head snapped when we went past...:(
Wow... in all my years spent on car and bike forums, I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention good 'ol Garrett County. I grew up there near a VERY small town called Friendsville (dubbed the "friendliest little town in Maryland"). Hmmmm... whose funeral did you attend and what was the trooper's name? I probably know both of them :shrug:

In regards to no front plate, I was pulled over all the time in MD for that. They're pretty bad about that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I also got a ticket in Maryland for no front tag. I paid the fine of $50 fine and thought that was the end of it. The next time I went to renew my insurance it had an extra charge on it for a violation which stayed with me for 3 years I believe. The end result was a final cost of $50+ $47x 3=$191. If you do not have any other violations you might get the fine dropped by appearing in court.

Good Luck
Why in the world would they raise your insurance for that type of violation? I would have canceled that insurance and gone with someone else.

·
Registered
333 Posts
You should be able to successfully fight it. Scrumpot has put the documentation up here somewhere from his case, which I would think would be precedent. It comes down to MD law says the plate must be attached to the front bumper, and Lotus got a federal bumper exemption. I'm not sure when the bumper exemption expired, so you'll want to check if that applies to your car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I mentioned the MD front bumper rule to a friend who is a Montgo. county trooper. He said that's BS, there needs to be a plate on the front and back. So neither he nor I are lawyers, but I'm not willing to waste my time on getting stopped.

The previous owner of my '05 Elise put 2" x 1" magnets from K&J Magnetics inside the front clam (pn BX08Y0). I have the same magnets on my MD plate and voila, I have a plate on the front. His solution, not mine, but pretty cool. I painted the magnets white so they don't stand out so much against the white MD plate.

Bill in MD

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
MD cops are still cooler than VA cops though!!! :p

i've gotten pulled over for no front plate, just pay the fine or fight it in court with the exemption.

btw..what a ****ty sunday with all the rain :(

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mentioned the MD front bumper rule to a friend who is a Montgo. county trooper. He said that's BS, there needs to be a plate on the front and back. So neither he nor I are lawyers, but I'm not willing to waste my time on getting stopped.

The previous owner of my '05 Elise put 2" x 1" magnets from K&J Magnetics inside the front clam (pn BX08Y0). I have the same magnets on my MD plate and voila, I have a plate on the front. His solution, not mine, but pretty cool. I painted the magnets white so they don't stand out so much against the white MD plate.

Bill in MD
Bill, love the magnet idea...think I'll try it .. thanks!:clap:

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Guy i know has velcro on his Exige, he just pulls the license plate off when hes at shows and meets so when people take pics his plate number aint there. Nice little trick

·
Registered
25 Posts
...and whether using magnets or velcro, something else I learned from the previous owner was to use contact cement to attach very thin foam ("fun foam") to the back of the license plate. This keeps it from scratching the bumper when the wind moves the plate around. I picked the stuff up at a hobby store called Michaels in MD.

Bill in MD

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Hold it.............. SHE was driving without a plate....not you !!!.... She pays the ticket ! :shrug:

·
Registered
773 Posts

Bill in MD
Well, I've got a Maryland Circuit Judge actual COURT RULING on the matter - handed down and ruled on this, that clearly disagrees with your county officers "opinion". ...Which do you think actually matters in POINT OF LAW? ;)

Although I will agree that even having this, does not still stop an officer from pulling you over for it (I was pulled again, just last week) - Having the PAPERWORK on-hand does help, and makes a difference! Plus, at least in my case - I've already been personally found, AT TRIAL for this, "NOT GUILTY". Even if I were to be written again for it - I would think double-jeopardy exemptions, would come into play. :p So for me anyway - I'm not having any of it!

There are 2 sub-para's to Maryland's License Plate ("tagging") statutes, that are applicable here: 13-411(a), and 13-411(b). Driving a passenger vehicle, these officers are trained, and themselves only know - and therefore write you (here in MD) on 13-411(a), which if you want to fight it - YOU CAN VACATE!

Because our cars have a Federal Exemption in-re front bumpers (IF applicable to your particular car - the exemption expired on the "Federal Elise" in MY2007, and is only applied to certain other of our cars - as noted on your door-spar placard); ....AND that further within Maryland Code - it also states that front plates (if required) must be firmly attached to the "front bumper or empannage structure" of the vehicle (this was to disallow "funky" alternate placement - as you sometimes see people try by putting it on the dashboard, etc. for example)....

1. Maryland RECOGNIZES the FEDERAL EXEMPTION (again - if applicable to you)

Therefore...

2. Once #1 is established - your car is then NOT SUBJECT to 13-411(a), but INSTEAD: subject to 13-411(b)(2)!

I.E. - Required to have, and only subject to affixing ONE PLATE - to be mounted (more "generically" too I might add) to the REAR of the vehicle.

For those of you who get the $60 ticket - you can choose to fight it, or not as such (officers can't rule on subjectivity to the laws they are, or feel they are enforcing - or writing to ...only a JUDGE can do that) - but it is not a "moving violation" or offense that results in "points" or anything that should append to your driving record (or affect/adjust your insurance rates) in ANY case!

So deciding if it is worthwhile to "fight" it or not, is strictly a personal decision.

Just because the cop pulls you over, and writes you - DOES NOT MAKE HIM (or her) NECESSARILY RIGHT! You can fight this one (if your car here in MD is one amongst the RECOGNIZED Federal exemption), and you can WIN. I am living testament to that. FWIW. YMMV.

FFI on my particular personal cases, see here:
Maryland State Trooper = Lotus HATER
and beginning about 1/2-way down page 2 of this thread here:
Front Licence Plate Bracket

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Well, I've got a Maryland Circuit Judge actual COURT RULING on the matter - handed down and ruled on this, that clearly disagrees with your county officers "opinion". ...Which do you think actually matters in POINT OF LAW? ;)

Although I will agree that even having this, does not still stop an officer from pulling you over for it (I was pulled again, just last week) - Having the PAPERWORK on-hand does help, and makes a difference! Plus, at least in my case - I've already been personally found, AT TRIAL for this, "NOT GUILTY". Even if I were to be written again for it - I would think double-jeopardy exemptions, would come into play. :p So for me anyway - I'm not having any of it!

There are 2 sub-para's to Maryland's License Plate ("tagging") statutes, that are applicable here: 13-411(a), and 13-411(b). Driving a passenger vehicle, these officers are trained, and themselves only know - and therefore write you (here in MD) on 13-411(a), which if you want to fight it - YOU CAN VACATE!

Because our cars have a Federal Exemption in-re front bumpers (IF applicable to your particular car - the exemption expired on the "Federal Elise" in MY2007, and is only applied to certain other of our cars - as noted on your door-spar placard); ....AND that further within Maryland Code - it also states that front plates (if required) must be firmly attached to the "front bumper or empannage structure" of the vehicle (this was to disallow "funky" alternate placement - as you sometimes see people try by putting it on the dashboard, etc. for example)....

1. Maryland RECOGNIZES the FEDERAL EXEMPTION (again - if applicable to you)

Therefore...

2. Once #1 is established - your car is then NOT SUBJECT to 13-411(a), but INSTEAD: subject to 13-411(b)(2)!

I.E. - Required to have, and only subject to affixing ONE PLATE - to be mounted (more "generically" too I might add) to the REAR of the vehicle.

For those of you who get the $60 ticket - you can choose to fight it, or not as such (officers can't rule on subjectivity to the laws they are, or feel they are enforcing - or writing to ...only a JUDGE can do that) - but it is not a "moving violation" or offense that results in "points" or anything that should append to your driving record (or affect/adjust your insurance rates) in ANY case!

So deciding if it is worthwhile to "fight" it or not, is strictly a personal decision.

Just because the cop pulls you over, and writes you - DOES NOT MAKE HIM (or her) NECESSARILY RIGHT! You can fight this one (if your car here in MD is one amongst the RECOGNIZED Federal exemption), and you can WIN. I am living testament to that. FWIW. YMMV.

FFI on my particular personal cases, see here:
Maryland State Trooper = Lotus HATER
and beginning about 1/2-way down page 2 of this thread here:
Front Licence Plate Bracket
Grant,

Your CR is an 08. Does yours still ACTUALLY have the exemption, or in your case did you present evidence for Lotus other than yours?

My 07 was manufactured in 07, so it has the bumperettes, and no longer has the bumper exemption, so therefore according to your thinking is not license plate exempt, either.

If your 08 does not have the bumperettes, then they must've been assembling the Club Racer's back in 06?

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'll be happy to show you the door spar placard on it Todd. I do not know all the logistics of how this all came about from Lotus, but yes indeed - my particular specific car IS in fact actually PLACARDED with this exemption. I did not present "evidence for a Lotus other than mine".

·
Registered
773 Posts
P.S. - We are also (for purposes of the front-tag) only talking about the FRONT BUMPER (or lack thereof) situation (and exemption) here. If what you mean by the "bumperettes", you are referring to the rear of the car - yes, my CR does have those ON THE REAR. The actual assembly date of my car is, I think I've seen it somewhere in my paperwork (not available & in front of me right this very moment) November '07.

Yet still, I can assure you - the NHTSA/DOT exemption *IS* indeed placarded, upon my car. I used ACTUAL PICTURES of my car, and its door-spar placard itself Todd, as part & parcel in presenting my evidence.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
scrumpot- so when you get pulled for no front plates, what do you do? do you simply show them the exemption and they let you go? or do they still write you and you go to court with the exemption?

·
Registered
773 Posts
scrumpot- so when you get pulled for no front plates, what do you do? do you simply show them the exemption and they let you go? or do they still write you and you go to court with the exemption?
So far, I have only been pulled over again one time since this, for the same thing (front plate). #1. I am always courteous, cheerful and kind with the officer pulling me over. Not pretentiously, but absolutely LEGITIMATELY, BTW (I have relatives in law enforcement, and trust me, I do know how to approach this "correctly"). This last time, when I was just stopped, a few weeks ago again now - I simply asked the officer if I could ask him for the reason for my stop (I knew I wasn't speeding). His response was that: "Although you were doing 31 in a 30" ...:huh: (okay?) - "that I have stopped you for having no front tag displayed." My response to him (again very straight forward yet very polite - (verbatim): "Oh, okay. ...Well, I can save you some time and trouble with that - I fully understand corporal, MD 13-411(a) & why you would make the stop. However, this car carries a Federal Exemption & is subject to instead as a result of that: 13-411(b)." ..."I have some documents here in my car affirming that for you, if you need them, and would like to see them." - Officer: "I've never heard of that before". - Me: "I understand - before I bought this car, neither had I before either, but I have it all right here."

Result: "Okay, sit tight ...no problem Mr. Scrumpot" (okay, well, that part's not verbatim ;)) - "Let me run your license and reg, and so long as we don't have any other issues here, I'll have you back on your way in just a moment."

And THAT is my only other experience since. So anyway - so far, so good! :cool:

Like I say -certainly won't prevent you from getting stopped. Might not in EVERY case stop the officer from even writing it DESPITE the paperwork, ...But again, this is just my experience. FWIW. Have not had to go back to court again and hope I won't have to, and I suppose "cavin in' and just putting the front plate on would absolutely ASSURE all this. But I've already gone to all this trouble. I've had my case heard, and I've WON!! :coolnana: Naturally, I'm gonna USE that! This is just my personal experience now, here in the state of MD with all this. Of course, as always - YMMV.

·
Registered
291 Posts
From: Section 13-411 - Maryland Transportation - Maryland Code :: Justia

Article - Transportation

§ 13-411.

(a) On a vehicle for which two registration plates are required, one plate shall be attached on the front and the other on the rear of the vehicle.

(b) On a vehicle for which one registration plate is required, the plate shall be attached on the:

(1) Front of the vehicle for a Class F (tractor) vehicle; and

(2) Rear of the vehicle for every other vehicle.

(c) At all times, each registration plate shall be:

(1) Maintained free from foreign materials, including registration plate covers as defined in § 13-411.1 of this subtitle, and in a condition to be clearly legible; and

(2) Securely fastened to the vehicle for which it is issued:

(i) In a horizontal position;

(ii) In a manner that prevents the plate from swinging; and

(iii) In a place and position to be clearly visible.

(d) Except as otherwise expressly permitted by the Maryland Vehicle Law, as to any vehicle required to be registered under this title, a person may not drive the vehicle on any highway in this State, unless there is attached to the vehicle and displayed on it, as required in this title:

(1) A registration plate or plates issued for the vehicle by the Administration for the current registration period; and

(2) Any validation tab issued for the vehicle under this subtitle.

(e) Except as otherwise expressly permitted by the Maryland Vehicle Law, as to any vehicle required to be registered under this title, the owner of the vehicle may not permit the vehicle to be driven on any highway in this State, unless there is attached to and displayed on the vehicle, as required in this title:

(1) A registration plate or plates issued by the Administration for the current registration period; and

(2) Any validation tab issued for the vehicle under this subtitle.

(f) Except as otherwise expressly permitted by the Maryland Vehicle Law, a vehicle used or driven in this State may not display on either its front or rear any expired registration plate issued by any state.

(g) Except as otherwise expressly permitted by the Maryland Vehicle Law, a person may not display or permit to be displayed on any vehicle used or driven in this State any registration plate issued for another vehicle or to a person other than the owner of the vehicle.

(h) (1) A vehicle registered as a historic or antique vehicle (Class L) in this State or in another state, when used or driven in this State, may display vintage registration plates as an indication of the historic or antique nature of the vehicle. Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, the place on the vehicle provided for the display of registration plates may only be used for the display of current registration plates in accordance with subsections (a) through (c) of this section, and any vintage registration plates which are used shall be displayed elsewhere on the vehicle.

(2) If the Administration authorizes the display of vintage registration plates in lieu of current registration plates, as provided in § 13-936.1 of this title, the vintage registration plates shall be displayed as required under subsections (a) through (c) of this section. However, the current registration plates shall be kept in the vehicle at all times.

(i) It is the duty of every police officer to report to the Administration all vehicles operated in violation of this section. The Administration shall verify whether the owner of a reported vehicle has complied with this section.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Exactly. And the premise and argument which I have now WON over, is that with the Federal Front Bumper exemption (recognized by MD), and further that Maryland requires mounting of front tags (IF "REQUIRED") - that it be a firm affixment to the FRONT BUMPER (or bumper structure of the vehicle, or some such) - - - that... therefore 2 plates are NOT REQUIRED - making this car subject to (specifically):

13-411(b)(2)

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Exactly. And the premise and argument which I have now WON over, is that with the Federal Front Bumper exemption (recognized by MD), and further that Maryland requires mounting of front tags (IF "REQUIRED") - that it be a firm affixment to the FRONT BUMPER (or bumper structure of the vehicle, or some such) - - - that... therefore 2 plates are NOT REQUIRED - making this car subject to (specifically):

13-411(b)(2)
Hey Grant,

I'm glad you beat the rap, and having documentation for same in your car will likely help you avoid getting citations, let alone having to go to court again. I'll be sure to cite this to an officer if I ever get stopped without a tag.

That said:

1) I believe the 2008 Exige DOES have a front bumper, ie to meet regs there is now foam in the nose, I believe. I could be wrong, but I think there is foam up there now.
2) I read the citation above about the plates, and I admit I may have missed it in all the jargon, but I don't think it says the front plate has to be mounted on a bumper, just that a plate needs to be somewhere on the front (and back) that is visible, and does not swing. :shrug:

Perhaps there are other parts of the regs not posted that address this. I seem to recall there is a height requirement for the mount that does not seem to be in this posting.

It's a moot and fine point, because if you beat the rap the court has spoken. Wonder if another judge would interpret the same, though.

Anyway, as cited, there is a curious item under 13-411.c.2.i: Saying the tag needs to be mounted horizontally, if I read it right. Plate needs to be verticle to be read, I think.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts