·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading this:

http://66.139.73.25/lcuforum/register.php?a=act&u=324&i=86043942

And noticed this:

Will the hardtop fit in the Elise?
No. But everycar comes with a folding softtop that will fit in the car for travel.
I find this a pretty big disappointment -- I really would like to have a hard top, as it really changes the look of the car, and is a nice thing to have for security & safety reasons. (Although I've been told that at my height, I won't fit with the hardtop installed)

Anybody understand why the hard top won't fit? The dealer implied that its an orderable option, but I guess nothings final until they actually start being able to place orders.

Steve

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
There will be a hardtop option ($1500). However, it will not fit in the trunk. It's too big. So if you get the hardtop option, you can leave it on or leave it off. Takes ~10 minutes to change or so.

The other option is aftermarket gullwings which can fit in your trunk.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see, sorry for my confusion between "on" and "in"! It fits on, but not in. :)

As a side note, I assume that the correct place to stow the soft top is the trunk -- how much of that space does it take up when stowed? Is there an alternate place to stow it? Is there stowage behind the seats?

I'm mostly interested in having enough space for two small overnight bags in addition to the folded soft top, so me and my GF can take some overnighters on the CA coast!

Steve

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Officially you can supposedly fit the rolled up softtop on the 'shelf' behind the seats, but I've naver managed that trick.

I think it's gonna be tricky on any LHD elise anyway because of some 'lumps' in the rear cover panel that are behind the (non-movable) passenger seat that give the biggest headaches when trying to fit it in..

I just throw it in the luggage space and that works fine..

Bye, Arno.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
slacy said:
As a side note, I assume that the correct place to stow the soft top is the trunk -- how much of that space does it take up when stowed? Is there an alternate place to stow it? Is there stowage behind the seats?
Here are a couple pics of the soft top in the trunk:

As you can see, it's at an awkward angle in there which will make it more difficult to utilize the rest of the cargo space.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,248 Posts

By the looks of the trunk picture from Auto Express, I will be suprised if the Gull Wings fit in the trunk. Though I do hope they fit...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts