The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting off my ass immediately after the Olympics and I finish this case of beer and bag of Doritos!

News Edition: 08/17/2004

STUART, Fla.-- A dramatic rescue ended tragically in Stuart, Florida, a rescue so difficult firefighters say they have never seen anything like it.

It happened late Tuesday night and early Wednesday morning at the home of a 600-pound woman who was having trouble breathing. Rescuers went in not knowing how difficult it would be to get her out. 40-year-old Gail Grinds was literally stuck to her couch and had to be removed surgically at the hospital.

Authorities estimate she had been on the couch anywhere from two to five years.

Martin County Fire amd Rescue crews faced what seemed to be an impossible mission. Everyone going inside had to wear protective gear. The stench was so powerful they had to blast in fresh air.

They tried to cut out the front door, but at four-and-a-half feet wide, it wouldn't work. They had to cut plywood since a normal stretcher wouldn't do.

An ambulance was too small, so they brought in a trailer to get her out. While rescue crews came up with a back-door rescue plan, detectives secured what had become a crime scene, questioning family members about how it got so bad.

Using planks, they loaded the woman on to the trailer, still attached to the couch. Removing her would be too painful, since her body is grafted to the fabric. After years of staying put, her skin has literally become one with the sofa and it must be surgically removed.

Detectives are investigating whether they have a case of neglect, or if it is simply a very sad story.

Grinds was taken to the Martin Memorial hospital where doctors removed her from the couch, but she died in spite of all the attempts to save her life.

·
Registered
758 Posts
lol :D

What she do ? Eat her parents at birth ?

Over the next few hundred years, the sea's going to rise and flood Indonesia unless they preserve her body.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Oh man. That's a very hard situation to be in from the rescuer's point of view. Not only are you battling against the clock to get her to the hospital in time despite a lot of complicating factors, you have to be very careful to avoid obvious attempts at bad humor at the expense of her dignity (I know it sounds obvious, but that's the way a lot of people handle very tense situations).
It's a horrible story. There's no doubt her quality of life has been nearly zero for a long, long time. However, if she was not mentally challenged she should have taken responsibility for her health way back. Somebody had to be taking care of her though. How can you let someone live like that for so long?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
It always kills me when massively obese people do the talk show rounds about wanting to be accepted as they are.

Having taken care of more than a few 400 pound plus people, they have absolutely no grasp at just how difficult it is to do ANYTHING for these people in a healthcare setting. That's why just about any healthcare, emt, etc have bad backs from dealing with these behemoths.

Think about it, how does one pull a 400 pound person up in the bed in a real world situation.

Chris
Who's back's not what it once was thanks to the above.

·
Registered
687 Posts
NMRJock said:
I found a bit more detail. She had a brother that lived five miles away. She hadn't been off the couch for six years.

The Story
Wow. That's a pretty sad story. She wouldn't get off of the couch because she feared she would break her leg again?

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
They on the local news that parts of her body were fused into the coach and she wasnt able to get up to go to the bathroom, so it was really disgusting, since the coach just absorbed the feces and urine.

I heard they were thinking about bringing her husband up on charges since he didnt do anything to help her, but he didnt seem very bright from the interview they did with him.

Kind of sad that no friends or relatives would do anything to help, but then they probably didnt have insurance either. You would have thought that the neighbors would have noticed the smell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts