The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate getting flats especially with our Lotus that doesn't have a spare tire.Thats why i carry two cans of anti-flats and I always check my tire pressure everytime I use my car. Maybe its just me, but im not comfortable travelling without a spare tire and only rely on our temporary anti flat spray. Which are also messy when brought to the tire service center for permanent fix.

Thats why i research and found this "Tyresheild" product. Has anyone in this forum tried it? Im very interested and hope to hear the positive and especially the negative effects when using this type of tire sheild(anti puncture). So I can decide if I should purchase it and have a trouble free travels with my favorite car. :)

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

Attachments

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
I hate getting flats especially with our Lotus that doesn't have a spare tire.Thats why i carry two cans of anti-flats and I always check my tire pressure everytime I use my car. Maybe its just me, but im not comfortable travelling without a spare tire and only rely on our temporary anti flat spray. Which are also messy when brought to the tire service center for permanent fix.

Thats why i research and found this "Tyresheild" product. Has anyone in this forum tried it? Im very interested and hope to hear the positive and especially the negative effects when using this type of tire sheild(anti puncture). So I can decide if I should purchase it and have a trouble free travels with my favorite car. :)

Looks like glorified Slime.

San

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I would agree that the product looks like a slime. They have a product for motorcycles that is similar. There are run flat tires available, if that is any sort of answer to your worry about flats.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
I don't have a spare in my Lotus, Corvette or Ninja. No big deal.

San

·
Registered
553 Posts
how often do you get a flat tire? lol.... I never carry spares on any of my cars.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i have one on my truck, but that is the Lotus Support Vehicle. THat has to be up 100% of the time in case I need to transport a spare tire to the Lotus! If that makes any sense. Someone in the group got a sweet Porsche? collapsing wheel/tire in his Elise's boot. So the physical storage of an actual spare wheel/tire has been accomplished IIRC.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The original post reeks of an advertisement. Are you employed by the company?
Nope.. :thwack:

Thats why Im asking for positive and negative feedbacks, if I should buy one or not. Shipping it here in my country will cost me more than the price of the product. So i want to be sure if it is worth buying. :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would agree that the product looks like a slime. They have a product for motorcycles that is similar. There are run flat tires available, if that is any sort of answer to your worry about flats.
Can we install it in our original mags? What are the available brands? Thanks. :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Someone in the group got a sweet Porsche? collapsing wheel/tire in his Elise's boot. So the physical storage of an actual spare wheel/tire has been accomplished IIRC.
Saw this before.. My question is where will he put his original mags after replacing it with the collapsible tire? In his trunk or passenger seat.. He will drive with an open trunk and risk it from cracking or scratching the rear clam. Thats why i never consider this option.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
If most flats are caused by puncture (screw, nail, ect.) why not just carry a plug kit and a small 12v compressor?

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
Plugs are a good temporary fix but do spread the belts when installing which weakens the tire. The puncture sealants have been notorious for unbalancing a wheel tire combo permanently. On a long trip I bring a plug set a scissor and small compressor. You can cut the plugs to be thinner which will do less damage but never had to use one on the Lotus.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Ditto to the plug set, factory slime, and small viair compressor..it's what I carry. Minimal weight and space.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I tend to carry a small cooler with iced cans of soda. If the wait for AAA is long, I can at least keep cool.

I use slime whenever there's a question about a tire. Have not yet had to use it in the Lotus, but have used it in other cars. It's not as bad for the tire guys to remove later compared with the fix-a-flat stuff.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Saw this before.. My question is where will he put his original mags after replacing it with the collapsible tire? In his trunk or passenger seat.. He will drive with an open trunk and risk it from cracking or scratching the rear clam. Thats why i never consider this option.
i guess the seat - it's usually a short local trip. Personally, i'm AAA with 200 mile towing.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I recommend Triple A and you might want to consider medication for your OCD ;-)
We don't have triple-A here in my country.

Medication for OCD? Hahahaha.. :thwack:

I had two flats on my other cars last year and changed it on my own. If only our lotus came with original spare tire or original runflat tires. I wont even think of researching and asking questions to LT peeps if they have already used this product. I just want to have a trouble free drive with my elise.

i guess the seat - it's usually a short local trip. Personally, i'm AAA with 200 mile towing.
I will never put a dirty tire in my passenger seat. Hehe..

·
Registered
960 Posts
If most flats are caused by puncture (screw, nail, ect.) why not just carry a plug kit and a small 12v compressor?
That's what I do. Had to use my kit for the first time last week on my motorcycle. It worked great :clap: I carry it in the Elise and Corvette but had to have it delivered for the bike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts