The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -

I just went through the gas cap scavenger hunt. Can't figure out how I managed to lose the original, but it took me less than 10,000 miles to do it.

ANYWAY, thanks to the folks who did the early research and came up with the Jaguar X-Type source for our gas caps. I purchased one on Saturday and finally got around to installing it last night. Why so long, you ask? Well, the one from Jaguar is the exact item that is our OE, but it has a tether (see pic attached).

It took a little imagination to figure out how to attach it on the inside to one of the retaining screws for the outer lid's ring. The inside plastic 'keeper' has retainer wells for the nyloc nuts (and of course, despite warnings here on ET, I found a way to lose one of them through the drain -- the good news is that it came straight out under the car on my garage floor.).

I found that the hole at the end of the tether for attaching to the car is large enough to allow the nyloc nut to be reversed and it threads and retains the tether very nicely. Now, I may find a way to leave the thing off :confused: but at least it will stay with the car. :eek: The third pic is a C.U. of the invoice with the P/N (and a replacement part number as well) and the cost: $22.88. Happy day, no more MIL!

Next trick? Maybe a protective gas flap that pops out when the gas lid is opened, to protect the paint from incautious use of a gas nozzle. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
nice lotus watch! :D

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
The first cars came with the tether attached, mine had the tether. It looks like the same tether too from memory.

The Ferraris have a rubber flap that folds out to protect the paint. I'm not sure their's enough room under the elise flap.

Chris

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

·
Registered
4,166 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
SAElise said:
Have you found it difficult to stuff that back in?
You just roll it up and tuck it in. After a time or two it becomes very easy.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
JWA said:
Yeah - you hang/set it on the paint?
When it unrolls, it lays on the paint almost to the point where the body slopes sharply downward. It could I suppose stand to be an inch or so longer, but it still is far better than nothing.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
I meant the tethered cap the original poster added. 911s have always had the flap and I always thought it was a good idea.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
NCElise said:
How much does it weigh? rotfl
-poke-
I had a friend help me lift it onto the car -eek-

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
The Ferraris have a rubber flap that folds out to protect the paint. I'm not sure their's enough room under the elise flap.

Chris
My 944 Had the flap as well; so that's a possible source as well.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
emm3tt said:
I may have just missed it, but do you sit the cap on the paint?
Must've missed my last remark: "Next trick? Maybe a protective gas flap that pops out when the gas lid is opened, to protect the paint from incautious use of a gas nozzle." Thought also applies to the gas cap itself (though I've noticed that when the cap is removed, it is dry). I keep my car well waxed, so a little contact bothers me a lot less than the way a fuel nozzle enters the filler pipe. :eek:

Thanks for the kind comments on the watch. It's really pretty tacky (I think, due to that outer green ring). It's nowhere near KG, so it doesn't really fit well with the Elise. :eek: I wore it for a club drive yesterday and forgot I had it on until I was editing down the size of the original pics.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
You may not have lost the original - someone probably stole it..

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
My early car has the leash, the new one does not. I like the leash. Anyone know how hard it would be to swap them?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Surferjer said:
My early car has the leash, the new one does not. I like the leash. Anyone know how hard it would be to swap them?
Jer, it's pretty easy. Including the time I spent moving the car to retrieve the Nyloc nut I dropped through the drain hole below the filler, it took less than ten minutes.

After I kept the nut under control by using some masking tape, it was literally no time to get the nut threaded backward on the retaining bolt pictured. Backward, in my case, in order to seat the larger diameter of the nut in the end loop of the tether and still get good purchase on the retaining bolt. Worked a charm, stays good and tight. I filled the tank yesterday evening and everything's A-OK.

I'll be very interested to learn where the tether is bolted to your car in the filler area. My "instant solution" allowed me to install it without drilling or using extra hardware (like a self-tapping screw). Where is it fitted as OE on your earlier car?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts