The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week the Rear Ball Joint Carrier bolts broke on my Elise during an HPDE . As I researched it , I discovered that this problem was out there as a possible issue which I missed. I am working on the repair with upgraded bolts all around.

Doing the HPDE is a something I wish to continue doing.
My question to the LT group is "What other potential problems should I be addressing to avoid any more suprises?"

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
nut and bolt before every track outing - many failures are due to blots loosing and allowing movement to failure. the classic toe link failures, for example.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Last week the Rear Ball Joint Carrier bolts broke on my Elise during an HPDE . As I researched it , I discovered that this problem was out there as a possible issue which I missed. I am working on the repair with upgraded bolts all around.

Doing the HPDE is a something I wish to continue doing.
My question to the LT group is "What other potential problems should I be addressing to avoid any more suprises?"
well outside of fixing your rear toe links (multiple upgrades exist from vendors here since its a known weak point)...

-dont over-rev (shift before 8k since a stock 2zz typically stops making power by 7900ish RPM)
-have your oil line fittings been recalled/replaced? if not, I would address that
-consider replacing the stock radiator with an all aluminum version (weak factory plastic end tanks can crack)
-be cautious on long left hand turns with under half tank of gas (baffled tank/fuel surge kit will help)
-be cautious on long right hand turns if you are low oil for whatever reason (baffled oil pan will help)
-keep in mind the stock aluminum brake caliper piston gets pretty hot when tracked & can cause some brake fade or fluid getting too hot (better fluid or steel pistons could certainly help)
-your front turn signals could pop out (have some tape on hand in case a clip breaks off)

other than upgrading toe links, oil line fittings & radiator the Eliges are pretty damn reliable for an occasional track day from the factory (& for what its worth I dealt with all 3 of those items the same day I took delivery of my car)

forum research goes a long way :up:

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you still have the part? I would be interested to see where it failed, and get a photo of the failure surface if possible.

the only parts I have it what is remaining of the threaded portion of the bolt that remained in the carrier. The hub is drilled and threaded all the way through so you can see the amount of thread penetration. One of the bolts was all the way in the other was only about half way in. My guess is the one bolt got loose, this made the assembly unstable and the carrier was prying on the bolt that was still fully engaged. This resulted in a tensile load on the bolt that was beyond the yield stress of the bolt and it snapped causing the other bold to snap off with it.
I got the one bolt out since there was about a 1/2" to get a pair of vise grips on, the other side snapped off flush with the hole so I will most likely need to use an extractor to get it out. Can post pics if you want.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Check the torque on all suspension hardware before each track day. Bleed your Brakes. Install a baffled oil pan. Check your Brakes before each track day. Do a HOD day to learn safety and driving techniques. Don't lift on turns!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts