The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I missing something here, or is it actually the case that there is no way to read oil pressure or oil temperature on the later V8 ??

The car obviously has no dash gauges for either oil temperature or oil pressure (other than the "low pressure" idiot light). And, when I hook up my OBD tool, I get no option to select any PID's for oil temp or pressure, as well ---- so, the sensors & ECU must not generate any of that data ?

It seems very strange to me that a high performance car such as this would not have means to monitor such critical information as oil pressure and temperature.

How are you all handling this with your cars ?

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
You could put a T in where the low oil pressure sending unit screws into block and hook a gauge to it.

Don't disable the light: you'll see it before a drop on the gauge.

Note: I know 0 about Esprits, but the above is true for every car I've ever seen or worked on.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Am I missing something here, or is it actually the case that there is no way to read oil pressure or oil temperature on the later V8 ??

The car obviously has no dash gauges for either oil temperature or oil pressure (other than the "low pressure" idiot light). And, when I hook up my OBD tool, I get no option to select any PID's for oil temp or pressure, as well ---- so, the sensors & ECU must not generate any of that data ?

It seems very strange to me that a high performance car such as this would not have means to monitor such critical information as oil pressure and temperature.

How are you all handling this with your cars ?
It is pretty crazy from an owner's perspective, but it probably made sense for Lotus -- less money on gauges, less questions from owners, and they probably figured everything would all be ok through the warranty period.

I do miss the oil pressure, voltage, and boost guages of my SE.

Are you using the special Esprit V8 software or a generic ODBII reader?

·
Registered
99 Posts
The 1997 V8's had a threaded port on the oil filter casting for the pressure gage. This port was not used on the 1998 and on V8's but you can still us it. What I did was drill and tap the casting for 1/8 pipe thread. Now you can use this port or just plug it when not in use. It is much easer to get to on the motor then trying to T into the pressure switch that is on the block.
Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
That is xactly what I did to get my oil pressure readings. However I did not drill and tap, but was able to source a pressure sensor in the correct thread from VDO, and if memory serves is was 1/8 BPT... But I'll go back and look. I was able to get both a sensor and gauge next day from summit.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
...Are you using the special Esprit V8 software or a generic ODBII reader?
I am using both ---- Peter M.'s "V8 Esprit" s/w & an aftermarket (Gendan - Pro edition) package --- both with the same ELM327 interface that came with the Gendan package.

I just looked at my owner's manual, and I guess there is also a combination --- high coolant / high oil temp --- idiot light :shrug:

So, I guess, assuming they are working correctly, we get to know something about the oil -- lol

Still seems lame ---- I'm going to look into adding a sender / gauge per Bob's suggestion.

ERIC ---- If you could post what VDO unit you got from Summit, that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm actually more interested in temperature than pressure. I guess I've spent too much time in Ferraris ---- it is always critical to wait for any F-car to get up to normal oil temp before "getting on it" ---- so, it's an ingrained habit, I suppose. However, it is a good habit that I would like to use with my Esprit, as well :)

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I'm actually more interested in temperature than pressure. I guess I've spent too much time in Ferraris ---- it is always critical to wait for any F-car to get up to normal oil temp before "getting on it" ---- so, it's an ingrained habit, I suppose. However, it is a good habit that I would like to use with my Esprit, as well :)
What was the relationship of the water temp to the oil temp in the Ferraris? I would have thought the oil temp would get up there around the same time the water temp peaked.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Finnerty.. its true.. the oil temp is actually the important one "before getting on it" with ANY car.. just italian and british cars are probably a bit less, shall we say, resilient, to lapses in judgement. haha

Ill look up the part number and specs on the parts I got and post them up. Im also fairly certain there are other plugs that can be used for temp in the block... ill take a look at my motor (on the stand) and see what i can find.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I believe oil temp comes from the sensor on the drain plug.
Yeah, thats right... I forgot that was there. Does the ECU use that for anything?

If it doesn't I'm certain that sensor can be used for an extra gauge.. or another sensor can be installed in its place.

As for my oil pressure gauge, I bought VDO part 350104 ($28.95), which is a gauge that I feel matches the stock gauges the closest... the only difference is that the needle is red.

Check into the sender VDO number 360006 ($29.95). This is the correct sensor for the gauge, and carries a m10x1 thread for the oil filter housing instead of the more common VDO part 360009 which is 1/8 NPT thread.

This sender also has a 7 psi switch that car be wired up to a(nother) warning light.

edit: heres a pic of what the gauge looks like... forgive the temp "please-just-let-me-know-how-much-oil-pressure-I-have" gauge placement

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yes, there is no oil pressure gauge on the later V8s. And the location on the block where you can tap in for a sensor is blocked a bit.

For me the answer was to add an aftermarket oil pressure gauge, along with a turbo boost and air/flow gauge in the cubby area by the shifter.

The company that makes the gauges (Glowshift) also makes a simple adapter plate for the oil filter that gives you ports to use for the sensor. This is the same setup that the Elises use (though they are using those extra ports for oil coolers).

See post #30 on this page for a picture and more info:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/interior-instrumentation-creative-concepts-103988/index2.html

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...forgive the temp "please-just-let-me-know-how-much-oil-pressure-I-have" gauge placement...
Hey cool !!! I like it !

On my sports cars, the only (3) gauges or switches I ever care about / look at are ---- Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, and the Tachometer. The rest are next to pointless, AFAIK :p

By the way, seems like the ECU does not use oil temp or pressure for any adjustments, but does anyone know if DTC's are still generated / stored by the ECU for "oil events" ---- like temperature or pressure excursions that go outside of any pre-determined "normal ranges" ????

IF so, what are the Pxxxx codes associated with it ???

·
Registered
284 Posts
The ECU does use the Oil temp sensor in the oil pan to reduce boost and retard timing as a defense mechanism. It was a late change and is totally un-documented.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Incidentally, someone in the aftermarket world needs to come up with a nifty "gauge kit" for these cars --- one that has boost, oil temp, and oil pressure --- and fits cleanly in the cabin in an appropriate location.

Oh, yeah..... it should be easy for the DIY'er to install and should not be too $$$, either :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The ECU does use the Oil temp sensor in the oil pan to reduce boost and retard timing as a defense mechanism. It was a late change and is totally un-documented.
Interesting....

Must be just an on/off "threshold reached" type of fixed amount of correction though, huh ??

...not a parametric, variable adjustment.

hmmm.....then the ECU must be able to recognize some sort of "switch" condition ??? I wonder what it is.....and if Peter's (V8) s/w has a control function to simulate / detect it ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts