The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Lotus Elise SC. I have warranty still, but the dealer is kinda far and if its just a fuse I'd rather replace it myself.

Seems like a fuse has blown, but looking through the owners manual I can't find which fuse this would be. The only place I could find fuses was under the passenger footwell, are there other places? Also, wheres a good place to attach the ground?

I've checked all the other electronics in the car, no other electrical failures.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
2011 Lotus Elise SC. I have warranty still, but the dealer is kinda far and if its just a fuse I'd rather replace it myself.

Seems like a fuse has blown, but looking through the owners manual I can't find which fuse this would be. The only place I could find fuses was under the passenger footwell, are there other places? Also, wheres a good place to attach the ground?

I've checked all the other electronics in the car, no other electrical failures.
Check fuse F7 under the right front access panel and C3 under the dash. If they are OK, disconnect the battery for a few minutes.
Michael

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I've looked around everywhere and cant seem to find how to open the front panel. My owners manual seems wrong, my "hood" piece is one piece and they show it as two. I've got both corners poped but it seems something is holding it in the middle and I cant see what that is.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the screw loosened.... Still being held on by something. What a pain in the ass, I can't believe there are no threads on removing this piece of ****. Once the hexagonal screw is loosened, is there anything else to take off? Seems like something is holding it down to the front clam. My owners manual is useless since it tells me to take off the screws in the corners where there are no screws, plus it says its two pieces which mine is just one...

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Each piece is a separate part. Do not try to pull up on the middle part or "spine". It's part of the larger structure and you could damage it.

The fastener is held captive so it it doesn't fall into the recesses of the car... once it's fully loosened you just pull the panel up (where the bolt was) and out (toward the side of the car you're standing on). It takes a little wiggling and a bit more force than expected but you only have to remove one fastener.

Please look at this link for pictures:

Lotus Elise Maintenance, How to Remove the Front Clam

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Wow, I never knew that! I guess I haven't seen too many 2011 and later cars in person.

The battery reset is a common thing with our cars. If you have an electrical issue... always try that first. It's just British electrical engineering at it's finest :UK:

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
The 2011 is different for some reason. I had a concurrent thread going about getting this thing off here:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/2011-front-hood-removal-120025/#post1792243

After pulling all the fuses and looking at them by hand (since I cant seem to find a ground anywhere on this car) and disconnecting the battery its all working again.

Any idea why that worked?
Disconnecting the battery, resets the ECU, which controls the instrument cluster.
Michael

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, cool, I'll keep that in mind. That battery cover was unfriendly to get on and off as well... Guess they had to do that with it being in the only storage compartment...

Also, the lotus dealer told me that in the back of the owner's manual is a supplement section. In there, they have all things which have changed since the original production in 2005, this being one of them. Seems they were just too lazy to actually reprint the a whole new manual or something. So if you are reading the manual and the instructions seem way wrong or out of date, look at the back supplement section for an update.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts