The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm upset and going to go on a rant and see what other Exige owners think about this topic...

Is it just me or are others frustrated with people's ignorance towards the Exige? Why do people think the Exige is a "cool" car but can't compare to a corvette or GTR on track?

I have a video of my last lapping day of me catching up to a GTR and passing him. Granted I'm sure he wasn't the best driver to ever grace the seat of a GTR but it did seem like he knew what he was doing. Then again any idiot can put down a great lap time in a GTR. Not the case with the Exige.

So I'm telling a few car people about it and show them the video then they go on making up excuses about why I caught up. I'm just a really good driver (wish this one was true lol...), the track is more suited for small light cars (went on comparing my Exige S 260 to a miata :no: ) and other non sense.

My car certainly is no Ferrari 458 but it still a force to be reckoned with on the track!

So am I just getting upset over nothing or have other people shared this frustration?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
First, I might ask why you care what other people think of your car if they haven't bothered to take a drive with you in it? Do you also ask other people who don't have sex with you what they think of your penis? :)

Seriously, the Exige *is* a bit underpowered in stock S220 form. I think once you get up toward 300hp (which is easy to do), the equation changes and the Exige is *clearly* more fun to drive - it's not even close. Most people only see HP, and conclude that is the end of driving excitement - which if that were true would totally explain why people think Miatas are so much fun.... oh wait, they have cognitive dissonance when it comes to evaluating what they really want in a car. Why would you trust their opinions?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
My Elise tends to get the opposite response. People look at me like I am cheating showing up in a Lotus to SCCA and track-day events. The peer pressure is helping me stay focused on improving my driving skills. My goal is to be as fast as my car is.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Given equal drivers, on most tracks a Z06 or a GTR will post superior lap times to an Exige. Two good track day friends drive Z06s with essentially nothing but upgraded brakes, wheels, and tires. They even run a stock exhaust to pass Laguna sound and drive to and from the track. They consistently lap Laguna in the 1:37 and 1:38 range - with traffic. That is a good 3-4 seconds faster than all but one Exige running in the Lotus Cup (with much clearer tracks and opportunities in the Time Attack to essentially run free and clear to post a solid lap time). Those are on par with the 2-11 lap times. When we all drove the same car (RX-7s), I was the fastest driver. Now it's not even close. The only Exige posting similar lap times runs in the open class and is an all-out race car with almost nothing untouched/unmodified in the car and with a very experienced and fast driver.

I think a car being "easy" to drive fast is a compliment to the engineering behind it. I've seen many posts stating even a grandma can lap a GTR quickly, that Lotus owners essentially deserve more "credit" for going fast, and that it is more "rewarding" to be in a car that requires more skill to drive. To each his own, but it often seems defensive. Frankly, if that's what someone feels, then perhaps he/she should go out and get an old late-70s or early-80s Porsche 911. Those are clearly a handful to drive well and are about as spin-prone as you could want. Then the drivers can really brag about how much skill they have. What is funny is that early on the owners of those older Porsches made the same comments about the newer ones - how the 993s and successive generation cars became "tame," lost their character, and required far less skill to drive fast. And now I've heard some guys driving their 997s say that about the GTRs as well, and it also sounds defensive.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I don't care what other people think.

Problem solved.
+1

My Exige is the car I want and the car I like. What others think about it is unimportant IMNSHO. I am rarely (or never) the fastest car on a track day, but I have more fun driving my car than 98% of the rest, I am sure of that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't care what other people think.

Problem solved.

That does seem like the simplest solution to the problem lol.

Been one of those days since I got up this morning and I think that the car thing was the straw that broke the camels back for my patience... :crazyeyes

I wasn't really saying that my car is faster than a GTR or Corvette. Was more upset that they didn't think an Exige was capable of a good lap time.

Yes the Exige does provide the most fun on track that I have ever experienced so far. And at the end of the day that is the most important thing when lapping I think ;)

·
Registered
592 Posts
+1

My Exige is the car I want and the car I like. What others think about it is unimportant IMNSHO. I am rarely (or never) the fastest car on a track day, but I have more fun driving my car than 98% of the rest, I am sure of that.
Unless you race, there will always be a faster car and/or driver so having the fastest car at a DE really means nothing, other than you spent more money on your ride than most other people.

As for GTR's, they are blisteringly fast, but they rely on computers to handle the vehicle. I remember being behind one exiting a turn onto a main straight. The driver mashed the go pedal at the apex, and the car went sideways and looked like it would spin. Then the computers kicked in, straightened out the vehicle, and it rocketed down the straight. Talk about correcting for driver error.

·
Registered
525 Posts
As other's have said ... don't care what other people think (though I've never had anyone not like the Exige). I've owned faster (heavier) cars that may put down better lap times but it's the feel of the Exige that I was after. There's really nothing else like it short of an Atom or open wheel car. The other issue is cost ... as if you compare the maintenance of big heavy cars like a GTR or Corvette (brakes, tires, etc.) to a Lotus ... it gets REAL expensive in a hurry. Everyone has their opinions ... so just ignore them and enjoy why you bought the car in the first place :)

Cheers,
Zoomby_U

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Why do people think the Exige is a "cool" car but can't compare to a corvette or GTR on track??
More or less true if you add supercool to exige.

a vette or gtr has 2x the power. You can mod an exige but you can mod a vette as well.

THe bottom line is, who cares if you are having fun.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
No matter what you have or what you do, there will ALWAYS be someone that has or does something better.

·
Super Moderator
1,772 Posts
Enjoy your Exige, most drivers can't appreciate the experience of owning a Lotus. What truly matters is how YOU feel about your car and not the "others".

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The elige cant compete with real supercars period. Even the 400hp turbo elise (video below) only gets 11:30 in the quarter mile, which is pathetic!!!

I know im going to lose the race, but i also know my exige is better looking than any cars i come across.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
its not pathetic. Even stock an elige is super fast for a dimnutive british roadsters.

These cars were never meant to challenge big hairy 600hp sports cars wearing 335 section tires.

An old elan or MG didnt compete with the super cars of the time on raw number either.

It is all about smiles per mile. You can add a bunch of power to an elige but you can do that to other cars s well. If you want to get around a track as fast as possible in a road car get a vette or a porsche. If you want to try to clip the apex to the mm insted of the yard, an elige is great.

If you want both get an actual race car.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The other issue is cost ... as if you compare the maintenance of big heavy cars like a GTR or Corvette (brakes, tires, etc.) to a Lotus ... it gets REAL expensive in a hurry.
Reminds on my last track day. After pulling up, I emptied out the Exige and sat back to read a book when a newer Z06 pulled up with set of racing wheels on a small trailer. He puts the car on a makeshift ramp, jacked it up and changed wheels before his first run. After the morning sessions, he pulls the race wheels off and puts the street wheels on to go off-track to fill up with gas, then he comes back and switches tires out again for the afternoon sessions. While switching tires, he bleeds his brakes. At the of the day, I pack up in about 5 minutes while he is changing wheels for the fourth time that day. :eek:

To me, being on a racetrack is about having fun. While I enjoy working on my car, doing so on a paddock while the clock is ticking doesn't seem to be very enjoyable.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
None of the cars mentioned in this thread have anywhere near the "feel" of the Exige, and that's what I'm personally after. At some point it's not about the numbers, but about how it makes you feel.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
a newer Z06 pulled up with set of racing wheels on a small trailer. He puts the car on a makeshift ramp, jacked it up and changed wheels before his first run. After the morning sessions, he pulls the race wheels off and puts the street wheels on to go off-track to fill up with gas, then he comes back and switches tires out again for the afternoon sessions. While switching tires, he bleeds his brakes. At the of the day, I pack up in about 5 minutes while he is changing wheels for the fourth time that day. :eek:
This guy needs a truck and trailer.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The elige is a economy "super car".
Its like the real thing, but it has a fraction of the power...and It has a fraction of the build quality. Its what you buy if you cant afford a ferrari, or a lamborghini. I still like it. But I like it for what it really is. Dont pretend the elige is a super car, because it is not even close. And no mod can make it one (except for hennessey)

and 11.3 in quarter -is- pathetic.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Saying one buys a Lotus Elise or Exige because they cannot afford a Ferrari or Lamborghini is not quite true. Perhaps that is how the Ferrari and Lamborghini owners feel but, those may not be the ones that purchased for the driving experience.TADTS

On the other hand I am sure it holds true for some but, the Lotus offers a different driving experience.

The elige is a economy "super car".
Its like the real thing, but it has a fraction of the power...and It has a fraction of the build quality. Its what you buy if you cant afford a ferrari, or a lamborghini. I still like it. But I like it for what it really is. Dont pretend the elige is a super car, because it is not even close. And no mod can make it one (except for hennessey)

and 11.3 in quarter -is- pathetic.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts