The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a very hot climate and usually wear sandals or thongs everywhere. Just wondering if anyone drives barefoot? 90% of my driving is done without shoes, can it be done in the elise?

·
Registered
2005 elise touring ardent red
612 Posts
why would you do this?

·
Registered
2005 elise touring ardent red
612 Posts
i'm not a good driver.....why would you want to hit the brake and the gas the same time?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The concept of "heel and toe" braking into a corner you may have to down shift and match the revs in so doing. So on the brake with the left side of your RIGHT foot, clutch in with the left foot, blip throttle with the right side of the right foot, down shift, off the gas, clutch out, brake off, and warp speed Scotty!
I would think the Elise pedals would be uncomfortable bare footed, but I haven't tried that yet. Good driving shoes seem like the right idea to me.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Driving without shoes can be dangerous sometimes. Maybe just in my case b/c my hands and feet will sweat from the heat in Texas or for no reason at all. As a result, there were a couple of times when my right foot would slip from the brake on to the gas pedal.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Hey, you asked, and I'm answering: Driving without shoes is 100 percent awkward for, and I would be a public danger if I went out driving this way.

I need the flat plane of a shoe bottom to provide proper pedal feel. With shoes on, my foot operates as single unit; sort of like a direct extension of my leg--control is absolute. With shoes off, I have to deal with the irregularity of the foot's arch, and all the extra (and unhelpful) sensory input that's being sent by every inch of exposed skin, not to mention the muscle activity of five individual toes.

As far as heel-toeing, forget it--I straddle both pedals at once (i.e., I don't do the the arcing rotation style), so I need a flat plane (i.e., a flat shoe botton) to execute properly.

To anyone who can safely drive without shoes, more power to you. Perhaps you have flat feet? ;)

·
Registered
394 Posts
in Texas at least there is no law against not wearing shoes when driving, other states may have a traffic law about shoes and driving.

For me, In every other car I have driven to the edge I was best with no shoes, better feel, better gear changes, and over all a better feel of what the car is doing.. But in the elise there are alot of sharp edges, in my first drive in the demo I cut my foot when it scraped the back of the pedal, and things have not gotten better with the bare foot deal, so i went and got some leather wrestling shoes and now all is good!

Adam

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I used to think that "no shoes" was the way to go. I now believe that a regular somewhat thin sole surface is far superior. Your feet get a bit sweaty and the underside is somewhat unevenly shapen. A good set of driving shoes is WAY better.
Your foot conforms to the pedal and requires more time to release the pedal.
If Michael Schumacher drove with bare feet I might think otherwise..

·
Registered
409 Posts
I think there are two states with shoe laws - Mississippi and Alaska.

I drive without shoes frequently in the summer. I know some Elise drivers in the UK have either resorted to driving without shoes or bought soft slipper-type driving shoes just because the spacing between the pedals isn't the greatest - it helps give an extra half inch of leg room too!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
When I was pulled over in Texas... first thing the officer said "hey, you have no shoes." Yep.

I found that longer drives, the knurl on the clutch pedal starts to hurt my left foot.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree that barefoot driving gives better feel..just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I really like to drive my car barefoot. I get better feel than when I have wrestling shoes on, by a little bit. When I sat in the Elise with only socks on, I found it way more agreeable then with my small (for basketball) shoes.

However, I wouldn't drive with socks on as my feet would slip, and as mentioned already there are a lot of hard metal edges down there. So, I plan on getting some thin soled shoe I can wear all the time to work and such. But for someone who is already wearing sandals, you might as well try it barefoot for a bit, but be prepared to get some slip on driving shoes.

And now that is has come up...

Does anyone know of a certain brand of racing type shoes or specific shoes that come in at least size 14, look almost like normal shoes, and come in a narrow width? :D Yes? Yeah? Please?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
usofrob said:

Does anyone know of a certain brand of racing type shoes or specific shoes that come in at least size 14, look almost like normal shoes, and come in a narrow width? :D Yes? Yeah? Please?
do these look normal enough?

they go up to at least size 17

puma speedcat

·
Registered
407 Posts
Driving barefoot gives a lot of pedal feel. But my arches are sensitive so I prefer wearing some old racing flats (think of track spikes with a little more midsole to it and no spikes, of course). Leather wrestling shoes work well too. My girlfriend always drives barefoot.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Bare foot or Piloti>>>

or a light driving moccasin...feel so much more what is going on with the car plus keeps the old toes aired out:eek:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts