The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of a sudden the lever does not stop when you pull to the left to slide into first. It still goes into first fine but you have to sort of "hunt" for it.

Do you all think its at the back on the translator or something in the shift lever mechanism?

It feels like maybe a stop broke or fell off?

I will look into it further this weekend.

Any clues appreciated.

·
S4s
697 Posts
There is a plastic piece that bumps up against a stop to prevent going into reverse. It can wear down along with the aluminum stop. I had to add a couple washers to raise my stop. Here is a video of my issue.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bet that is exactly my issue.

I think I will order the new plastic piece that raises for reverse lock out - it was pretty tired last time I looked at it.

Also shim the stop up. I wonder if that little plastic finger broke off.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have the same issue. A couple of quick fixes that I have tried worked for a while but eventually have failed. Seraph, I didn't realize that the block itself can be raised, thanks, good call, I'll give it a shot. Erik, let us know if the part is still available. For some reason I thought it was unobtainium.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yikes, $84 shipped for that piece of plastic! I'll see if raising the block works first. Thanks Erik, glad to know I can get it if I need it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gearlever Assembly Overhaul Kit

This would probably be a "good idea" to install while in there. I will have a look at the plastic bits this weekend and see if they look worn. I have a suspicion that they have been replaced and the long term wear on the reverse lockout plastic piece and the metal piece discussed and shown in the video above are my issue.

I wish JAE had a searchable parts section on the website, I am so used to looking for parts like that now. Picking up the phone is so inconvenient...I guess I need to work on being more social. :)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The culprit was the plastic bush for the reverse lockout.

I ordered a new bush from JAE and a rubber lower gaiter while I was at it.

I think the bush was ~$40.

Pretty easy job to change out, especially since I have been in there before. Shifts better than it did, I think the old bush was flopping around.

Oh, when I first bought the car reverse could not be selected, it turned out the little "strap" in the center of the shift lever that connects the reverse pull collar down to the plastic bush had broken. I devised a repair with a piece a threaded rod because the "strap" is not available. Anyway, JAE told me that they have developed a replacement strap and it is being tested. Apparently the straps are breaking on a regular basis and the only previous repair was a replacement shifter assembly $$$

Attachments

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
When you see something like this you should go through the whole thing meaning you should inspect the translator and all of the associated linkage for other loose, missing, or worn parts. At the very least everything should be cleaned up and lubricated.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great advice /\

I forgot to look at the other parts in the shifter rebuild kit mentioned above. Still have the interior panel off so I have to look for those specific parts and see how they look and where they are located.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh yeah all those plastic doohickies are probably toast. My car shifts well though.

IS that gold colored plate over the shifter hole in the pic factory or did you add that? I thought those were aftermarket but that looks like a factory piece.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts