The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like them when I travel (i.e., fly)

I lost my Bose QuietComfort 2s... I'm looking for a replacement set...

Does anyone have experience with other brands/products...

I'm interested in good sound quality as well as active noise cancellation (I like that it drones out the airplane noise)...

Over-the-ear fit doesn't bother me...

Anyone know about the Klipsch Custom 3s?

Headphones - Klipsch Custom-3, High-Performance Headphones, Noise-Reducing Headphones

These are noise blocking (not canceling).

·
Registered
807 Posts
american now hands out bose headsets to use during the flight (first/business) so i've never bothered to buy a set myself. i can tell you that while the noise-cancellation seem to work about the same with the other brands i've tried, the bose are the most comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
What? I can't hear you.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
They all work pretty well.

Always upset when I forget them on a flight.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Noise cancelling headphones are active devices and are band limited, whereas plugging your ears is diminishing the sound across the spectrum.

For sound quality these sensaphonics cannot be beat by noise cancelling headphones, but I usually put the airplane noise cancellers on top of them and crank the volume to 11.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I like these...

Sennheiser PXC 450 NoiseGard Active Noise-Canceling Headphones

They have excellent fidelity and amazing bass response for a noise cancelling headphone. Pricey, but comfortable and the noise cancelling works well.

tim

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
I know its not the same thing, but for airplanes I use the earplugs that i use at the dyno, they still work with people talking to you but all the airplane noises are gone, have a couple of different noise cancelling earphones but the earplugs work so much better and you can wear headphones over them.

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
Noise cancelling headphones are active devices and are band limited, whereas plugging your ears is diminishing the sound across the spectrum.

For sound quality these sensaphonics cannot be beat by noise cancelling headphones, but I usually put the airplane noise cancellers on top of them and crank the volume to 11.
They look impressive - can you get them here or did you get them in the US? And cost?

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have the original Bose Quiet Comfort, an older pair of the Sennheiser small noise-canceling headphones (the precursor to the PXC300), and the Sennheiser PXC450s. For audio quality, the Bose are probably the best. For noise reduction, the PXC450s are probably the best (and they have a neat switch feature that allows you to keep the headphones on, yet pass through sound; so that if you need to talk to somebody, you can do so without removing the headphones); but these are pretty heavy.
However, when I travel, weight is usually the overriding concern, so I usually take the little Sennheiser headphones on the plane. They are not the best noise-reduction, but they weigh much less; and they are the most comfortable for wearing over long periods of time.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I've tried the headsets (borrowed; don't remember the brand) and found they interfered with getting rest, for me. I can't sleep with the gear on my head, and I actually missed the white noise of the plane rumbling.

I just use the foam earplugs; they mute the noise but let a little background through.

Oh, and do wear the sleep mask. Yes, you'll look like a goof; 'til the plane is on approach, when you'll have the last laugh at your groggy fellow passengers...

·
Registered
845 Posts
I tried various noise canceling headphones, but most produce some levels of white noise that I find really annoying. I also find large headphones uncomfortable on 10+ hour flights I deal with twice a month. I personally like the Etymotic Research headphones as they really isolate the engine roar. I've noticed that they've actually helped reduce my travel fatigue.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
They look impressive - can you get them here or did you get them in the US? And cost?
Steve I organized it through an audiologist in the San Fran - because there isn't one hear locally... And the same bird goes to LA a couple of times a month.
But I think you could do it in Perth - they do a mould of your ear with the same sort of stuff that the dentist uses.
I find that when I have them in the ipod I generally now have the volume really low because the background noise is now low, and never over ~1/3 to 1/2 way up even when I have it loud like competing with cars.

I think they were ~600-800, but using the custom fitted plugs with the shure drivers would be the cheaper option and then the drivers can be replaced.

I was going to get the plugs for the shures as well as some solid plugs, but ended up with the solid ones with the drivers inside.
I used them at the F1 as ear plugs as well as at some other events (with or without the iPod.)
A friend of mine is a mad skeet shooter so when I visit then I use them for that - just with no iPod on the end.
I have noticed getting out of the car that when the end drags over the seat the static produces a faint sound in the earphone.
I can literally hear my heart beating if it not too noisy, and when it is noisy, I can at least hear myself think.

In the 747s they work OK, but on some planes I find that I need turn the volume down to about 0 - as the headphones in the plane seem to need more power (less efficient). This doesn't work to well, as all that is left is humming and clicking (like a ground loop or inducted noise)... So I just put them in like ear plugs, and put the headphones on top with the headphone volume cranked up. I could have it higher - but the pilot and all the seat belt advise seems to be at a higher volume than the movies and upsets me...
When it is time to sleep, the noise airplane canceller head phones come off if they need to. When I am unlucky enough to sit in the back then it is a similar story...
I look up and see the lips of the stewardess moving and pull out an ear plug... saying "ehhh?"

And in the car they work a charm - once you get used to selecting a list and not looking back down at it (the iPod).

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
We use Bose ANR's in our airplane..... 1000 bucks each, but worth every penny ! Sennheiser's are good too !

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have the Bose and Sony noise cancelling headphones. Sony cost less, but Bose work better. Also nice that the cord can be removed from the Bose if you want. Really makes a difference driving the Elise from Houston to Aspen or St. Louis.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts