The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a RHD 2008 S240, only 6000Km, no mod on suspension:

1.- I notice from time to time when I brake I hear one click noise from the Front Left side, but not all the time. Not sure is from the brake or from the brake related parts. Checked the brake but can't find anything loose.

2.- Whenever, the car goes through the thick painted road (those paint that warn you to slow down) near pay booth, it has metal noise. At first I think is from the suspension, but after I check the swaybar and A arm....., all the bolts are a OK. So I pay more attention, then it sounds coming from the inside Left Hand side's service panel.

I sent the car to dealer and is already 3 days now, nothing found !!!

Anyone have these noise issue?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Generally if something "clicks" under braking, it's a loose suspension or brake part, or a worn bushing/ball joint. With only 6k, I would suspect the former rather than the latter. Should be pretty easy to figure out what the issue is simply by pulling and pushing on the various suspension pieces. If you can't reproduce the click or any nose, and there's no obvious play in anything, look at the shocks and springs.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer has fixed most of the noise, the metal sound improves a lot and not as worst as previous. But there still has the one click sound from time to time when applying brake.

Dealer won't tell me what they fix !:huh:

As the metal sound gets less, I can clearly hear it is from the supension on the left has problem.. or somthing loose...

Will bring back to dealer on Monday.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Any updates on this?

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any updates on this?
No update, but the following is what I notice:

1. If the car goes through a small small bump on the right front, then I can hear a small metal noise from the front left side.

2. If I place my hands 3 & 9 o'clock (driving straight @ around 50Kph on a fair flat road), from time to time my left hand can feel a very little metal vibration down the steering rack or some joints has gaps but at the same time right hand doesn’t feel that vibration.

3. The steering do shake a little bit over 150Kph. So may need wheel balance.

4. As far as the click noise from the left brake, no idea from the dealer.

Will go back to dealer in couple weeks and they will check it again. Hope things go worst so they can see it right the way.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have them check the steering rack.
Michael
Thank you for your advise.

But I though the steering rack problem only happen to 2006 or older..

And for the brake click noise, I will take out the brake pad and put it back with some lube just to check.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last night, drove on some smooth winding in the south side of HK island hard. The road is smooth no bump. But I did drove hard on every corners. After the drive everything seems OK, expect a little click noise on the left hand side once a while.

But when I start getting on the HWY, the road become a little bumpy (changing from tarmac to concrete), the left hand side sounds awful (sounds like a lot of nuts come loose or the linkages has a lot of gap) and the right hand side start sounds like the left hand side. But the steering is still tight and no play, the wheel has not play neither. Press on the body and the suspensions doesn't make a sound....

I drove to dealer this morning, and they did not even test drive, just asked me to come back on Monday and they will take off the clam and re-tighten up all the bolts and check all the moving parts.

Is this usual for Exige with only 7000Km no track time at all and things come loose:confused::confused:?

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the car back today, but seems still have some loose parts:
- Dealer did not take off the clam;
- Found over 15 bolts need to re-tighten, some were serious loose especially the left upper A-arm;
- The steering part is all right;
- Dealer mentioned when the car is cold, the rubber bushing is tight, and where it gets hot, the bushings get softer and will have more gap :huh: I don't thing so:no:

But don't have time to real test out, will test it later tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Sorry did not see this thread until today.

ALWAYS retorque the bolts and nuts when you have this kind of noise. You can not tell by hand if the fastener is loose but the forces exerted on it from the suspension travel is far greater and will cause some wicked noises. I start with the main bolts for the camber and hub attachment. Sway bar attachment bushings and end links. Shock attachment.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Randy, thank you for your suggestion.

Today, I brought it to other shop to fix the rear camera and to check the front end, it seems fine with only #13 bolt on left is half cycle loose. The rest are tight. But since I was not there when they did the checking. I am not sure they checked the linkaged of the sway bar #32 or not. I am sure dealer and other shop did not check upper #22, lower #22, #19.

I am pretty sure the steering rake is OK, because if it was loose, then should have the noise no matter on smooth or rough road, right?

Did an hour testing:
- It runs fine on flat smooth road or on larger smooth bump wth very little noise.
- On rought road, it has more metal clink clink noise on left front, on right front and center then previous (center?? is there any moving part near the center firewall??). I mean before dealer checked the front end, the noise is less.:huh:

I have attached 2 JPGs. Please suggest what to do next and what to check next:panic:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update.

1. After the tightened up the front bolts, nuts and re-sit the pad, everything seems OK. Just has a very very little bit cling noise from time to time, so over all. I am happy.

2. 2 weeks after, I can feel the steering gets more and more metal to metal touching feel, feel like the steering's gear's gap is getting bigger. Anyone has this experience?

3. Also, since the front bolts and nuts were tightened, the rear seem to have the same issue. Something is loose.:confused: Need to check all the bolts and nuts at back later on this week.

Can anyone chip in some idea?

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More update: Tonight, all the noise came back :mad::mad::mad:

1. So all the bolts and nuts are tight. And only things that will move is the swaybar down links, the ball joins and the steering rack.

2. Unless front bolts & nuts are loose up again:mad:

Anyone has fail ball joins in 7000Km?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Okay... I think I have the exact same issue.

The problem does not occur all the time correct?? Only sometimes!

now my noise is different... Mine happens at lower speeds like 1-20mph under braking or even slowly leaving the line. Its definitely a rotational clicking noise from mine. I had the dealer ride along with me and of course it BARELY happened so he thought I was crazy...

It does sound much like what you were describing though sorta. If you get it fixed let me know on here for sure cuz its starting to drive me crazy. The performance hasn't been affected at all. The mechanic drove it also and said it felt perfect. I haven't been to a track day in a month or so and it only started after my dealer did some warranty work for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts