The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi scnax,

i am starting to see more people use the Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer/pyrometer from radio shack or others, is it any good? does it provide accurate readings? at least consistent readings? i think it's a nice little gadget but i m wondering if anyone has done comparisons on the infrared vs the oldfashion poking pyrometer if they give similar readings.

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
mashimaro said:
hi scnax,

i am starting to see more people use the Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer/pyrometer from radio shack or others, is it any good? does it provide accurate readings? at least consistent readings? i think it's a nice little gadget but i m wondering if anyone has done comparisons on the infrared vs the oldfashion poking pyrometer if they give similar readings.
I have no first hand experience in comparing the two, but I'm told that he infrared pyrometers are not as accurate as a prode pyrometer. I guess the infrared ones are good for ballpark stuff, but not so good when you want to know the true measurment. Plus the temp you really want to know it the one inside the tire, not on the surface. The surface temp changes very qucikly and will be cooled off by driving from the finish line to the pre-grid.

The prode, just in case you don't know, pokes 2-3mm into the rubber to get it's reading. Then it takes the tmep reading from the very tip of the prode, which would then be inbeded 3mm into the surface of the rubber.

·
Registered
132 Posts
well, for me persoanlly, i just want a reading, accurate or not, i am just interested in the differences across the tire surface and try to get them as even or actually hotter on the inside which would mean i have camber :) The Radio Shack one is only $50 and I've seen it in action. One cool feature is the scan feature, in where for as long as you hold the button, it will give readings as you scan across the tire.

Remember this is a low cost sport :)

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
mazdaspeedwest said:
well, for me persoanlly, i just want a reading, accurate or not, i am just interested in the differences across the tire surface and try to get them as even or actually hotter on the inside which would mean i have camber :) The Radio Shack one is only $50 and I've seen it in action. One cool feature is the scan feature, in where for as long as you hold the button, it will give readings as you scan across the tire.

Remember this is a low cost sport :)
Darryl you don't want the temps on the inside to be the hottest. That means you have too much camber, which is bad. You're losing out on tire contact. Having an even spread of tire temps really does help (I was droping lots of time at BW when playing with a pyrometer).

A decent prode pyrometer is $75 to $125 depending on where you get it and what features you want. So it's not that much more. I was thinking that SCNAX as a club should get one, a nice one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I talked to Guy Ankeny about probe vs. non-contact for tire temps and he likes the non-contact. He says that it takes too long to get all the readings from the tires with a probe.

I suppose as long as your measurement method is consistent and you are comparing against your own measurements, a non-contact will work great.

I have a non-contact and have used it for everything from checking the A/C system in the house to the temp of baby bathwater.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know as a rule of thumb, correct me if wrong, that the inside temp should be 5 to 10 degs hotter than the outside edge, although it's still very good if tire temps are even across the entire surface . . . if inside temp is way too high then it's bad for straight line brake and accel and if your suspension is riding on the inside in the corners hard, imagine in the straight line, you are REALLY RIDing the inside big time. that is NG (no good), i have -2.5 camber in the front and the tire is still rolling over than i liked, well, my non-adjustable setup now is kinda soft at only about 200 lbs of spring. so if you need more static camber than 2 deg to get the tire contact patch to work, then i still have too much bodyroll . . . currently i m thinking about getting a better sorted adjustable coilover with bump and rebound settings :D

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
hummm..

Will, when we were using the proded one it took about 10 seconds to do the tire (excluding walking around the car). I don't know if that is too much time or not, but I didn't know it was too long. Having an infrared one would be much more handy though. They are fun to play with.

I've never heard of hainv that big of a difference on the inside of the tire. Then again I haven't heard much about a lot of things. The guy who was helping me use his pyrometer has been autoxing for a long time. He said that 3 degress higher on the inside was fine, but more than that is a problem.
That makes sense to me. You're going to have slighly higher temps on the inside because of straight line driving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the Radio Shack model. I bought it on sale for $40. As a reference tool I like it.

I too have heard that it is better to have the outside edge of the tire to be a few degrees cooler than the inside but do not take my word for this as I am way too new to be an expert on the subject.

Interestingly, my readings at the September practice showed the outside being slightly (3-4 degrees) cooler than the inside. Last weekend at the school I was getting readings where the outside was 3-4 degrees warmer than the inside. These readings were taken off the front tires. I have approximately -2.75 camber up front. The difference probably has to do with the nature of running the entire course at the practice versus the short exercises we did at the school on Saturday. Could be Fontana versus Norton. Could be I am getting more aggressive and thus using more of the outside of the tire than before.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a Craftsman Ir pyrometer that I bought as a club tool. Unfortunately, between home disasters and my eye surgery, I haven't been to an event since Night of the Living Dead.

My new work sked means practices will be a little tougher to get to but not impossilbe. And my goal is to go to every championship from now on.

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
MX5bob said:
I have a Craftsman Ir pyrometer that I bought as a club tool. Unfortunately, between home disasters and my eye surgery, I haven't been to an event since Night of the Living Dead.

My new work sked means practices will be a little tougher to get to but not impossilbe. And my goal is to go to every championship from now on.
How is your eye doing?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey Chris, Thanks for asking!

It's doing really well. I'm back to 20-20 -2 letters on that line of the chart. That's as of last Thursday. The doctor described the healing as "beautiful."

I'm eager to get back on course. Wish I could have attended last weekend's school, but it won't be the last. If there's an Evo, I'm there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts