The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Northern New Jersey.
Who knows of gas stations still pumping premium non E-10 gasoline?

Regular gas derives higher fuel mileage.

-Robert

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Good luck, i think there's a federal mandate to replace MTBE with ethanol to raise oxygenates... Heck, i think VP 100 unleaded octane has some ethanol in it as well...

·
Registered
580 Posts
There are a couple stations I know of in Rockland County, NY that sell CAM2 100 octane unleaded. No ethanol.

$7 a gallon, though, which kind of mitigates the higher mileage. :p

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Regular gas derives higher fuel mileage.
I noticed that as well. Man, I was starting to think it was just me, since everyone I asked said they hadn't noticed a difference. I kept wanting to blame myself for driving faster or something. But I couldn't get past the fact that E10 (excuse me, gasohol:rolleyes:) is less energy-dense than regular gas. Obviously, that explains part of why I'm averaging 16 mpg in my 335i.

But good luck finding some without it. All stations have that formulation around here. MTBE is gone.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I noticed that as well. Man, I was starting to think it was just me, since everyone I asked said they hadn't noticed a difference. I kept wanting to blame myself for driving faster or something. But I couldn't get past the fact that E10 (excuse me, gasohol:rolleyes:) is less energy-dense than regular gas. Obviously, that explains part of why I'm averaging 16 mpg in my 335i.

But good luck finding some without it. All stations have that formulation around here. MTBE is gone.
Stay off the boost and keep a steady throttle. Everytime you press the throttle down a tad, the AFR's will richen up a bit cuz the car will be anticipating that you "might" be boosting...

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Stay off the boost and keep a steady throttle. Everytime you press the throttle down a tad, the AFR's will richen up a bit cuz the car will be anticipating that you "might" be boosting...
Gotcha. Thanks! FWIW, the car's rated at 17 mpg city, so I'm not doing all that bad, especially considering the E10. Still, going from the Elise where I averaged about 24 mpg, it's a bit of an adjustment. I fill up at the same mileage on the trip odo, but instead of 8 gallons, I'm putting in 12.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts