The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

The time has come and I need to replace the rear tires on my car. Currently in my cart on Tire Rack, I have

2x 225/45ZR17

2x 205/45ZR16

Ive searched a plethora of different threads and topics regarding tire selection but most of them seem to be for LSS wheels where the 205/45 seems to fit fine on the front but I have the base wheels here.

Before I go ahead and buy, I really need someones advice on my front tire selection and/or tire combo.

How will the front size affect my steering?
Will I rub with the wheels fully turned?
How will the tire combo affect my rake?

I wish I knew more about matching tires to wheels but that's why I seek help from others!

I am looking to buy a set of Toyo R1R as they seem to be one of the best street tires that also perform reasonably well in the rain. I intend to use these for daily driving here in south Florida with occasional driving in wet conditions.

I have the stock/base "spider wheels" that are 5.5" in the front.... The 205/45 for the front are the smallest size available in the R1R's. I am wondering if anybody has had the same dilemma?

Thank you and I look forward to the discussion!

·
Administrator
1,551 Posts
You might have to consider other tire options so that your tire to rim is proper. Conti Summer Extreme Contacts are one option. With those small wheel your recommended size is 175 but you should be able to go to a 195. Other possibility is change your wheels to open up tire selection.

·
Registered
119 Posts
A 205/45 on a 5.5" wide wheel is super pinched and is not even recommended by the tire mfg. For the base wheels I always recommend sticking with the stock AD07.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts