The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2002 'k' series elise which is neglecting to start, i have spent a lot of time trying to work out what the problem is. i have recently changed the alternator about 4 weeks ago but now i have some kind of electrical problem. all the electrics work fine but when i turn the key to crank the engine all i get is a click, i've checked the voltage of the battery and its 12.4 volts, when i check the voltage on the switch side of the starter solenoid i only get 8.6 volts when i turn the key which is not enough to crank the starter. i then checked the voltage coming from the starter circuit with it disconnected from the starter and i get 12.4 volts when i turn the key, is this a bad earthing issue or something else. Any help welcome.

Ant

·
Registered
888 Posts
I don't know the safety required on UK, but in Canada (and not in USA), it is a switch for the clutch, and it is all a time broken, need to be by-passed. The switch needs to be activated to start.

Just in case.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Try a load test on the battery:

LOAD TEST If the battery's state-of-charge is at 75% or higher, then load test the battery by one of the following methods:

1. Turn the headlights on high beam for five minutes,
2. Disable the ignition and turn the engine over for 15 seconds with the starter motor,
3. With a battery load tester, apply a load equal to one half of the CCA rating of the battery for 15 seconds, or
4. With a battery load tester, apply a load equal to one half the OEM cranking amp specification for 15 seconds.

DURING the load test, the voltage on a good battery will NOT drop below 9.7 volts with the electrolyte at 80 degrees F (26.7 degrees C). [If the electrolyte is above 80 degrees F, add .1 volt for every 10 degrees above 80 until you reach 100 degrees. If below 80 degrees F, subtract .1 volt for every 10 degrees until 40 degrees.] After the load is removed, wait five minutes and the battery should "bounce back" to the 50% state-of-charge level or above. If the battery drops below minimum test voltage, does not bounce back, or will not start the engine, then you should replace it. If the battery passes this test, you should recharge it to restore it to peak performance.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Make sure that the ground wire is actually grounded. The ground wire on my car was attached to the transmission, but it was attached at a point where there was rubber between the ground wire and the transmission. Needless to say, the ground didn't work. The symptoms looked an awful lot like yours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts