The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just wanted to say Hi. I found this site through my travels and found a new home. I am a subaru guy and an active member of LegacyGT.com and Nasioc.com. But I am sweating an exige really bad. I have been on the prowl to find a perfect weekend cruising car for my wife and I that can also be my track whore. I found it. I just need to pay off the legacy, save a little $ and an Exige will be mine.

I really wanted a convertible/targa, so I was looking exclusivly at the elise, but then I found the Uber thread and learned so much including the fact you can sport the exige w/o the roof.......:nanner::nanner:

So I am siked. I have been reading all the noob threads and learning as much as possible. All I need to do to be completely hooked is go drive one.

The only problem I forsee is my size. I am 6'1" 220lbs and very athletic and my shoulders are very wide. If I can drive the car comfortably, one will be mine.

Just in case your interested, here are a few pics of my current car:

Thanks for the info so far and hopefully I can contribute something in the future.:shift:

PS. I love the emoticons on this site.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I am 6'2" and 210lbs. Once you are in the car, you will have no problems, and I routinely drive mine extensively in full comfort. Make sure the car you get has the PROBACK seats in it is all. Seems minor, but you would be amazed the comfortability difference.

Because of my shoulders too, it seems I get in and out of it a bit differently than most of my other brethren compadres. Once in the car (again) though- unless you also have someone else in the passenger seat with equally wide shoulders (you will "rub"), you really have no problem at all.

Good luck on your quest for yours now, and WELCOME! :wave:

·
Registered
855 Posts
I agree you will not have a problem with your size as I am close to that as well. I actually found, after I owned the car for over a year, that a few notches forward on the seat slider was a much better driving position. Another plus is the car actually has a surprising amount of head room for as small as it is.

One word of warning though......DO NOT DRIVE ONE UNTIL YOU ARE READY.....mainly because it will be your only and overwhelmingly powerful desire to own one and you will be absolutely useless at everything you attempt to do or think until the actual purchase.

That is just my own personal disclaimer but Lotus should seriously have their legal departed draft something similar for a pre-test drive disclaimer!!

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I'm psyched about your floral verb selection. I'm going to go out into the garage to sweat and sport my Exige right now!

xtn

PS - Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The only problem I forsee is my size. I am 6'1" 220lbs and very athletic and my shoulders are very wide.
No worries. Three or four tubes of KY and you slide right in.

:) Seriously, I have two friends who are both over 6'3" and they fit fine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree you will not have a problem with your size as I am close to that as well. I actually found, after I owned the car for over a year, that a few notches forward on the seat slider was a much better driving position. Another plus is the car actually has a surprising amount of head room for as small as it is.

One word of warning though......DO NOT DRIVE ONE UNTIL YOU ARE READY.....mainly because it will be your only and overwhelmingly powerful desire to own one and you will be absolutely useless at everything you attempt to do or think until the actual purchase.

That is just my own personal disclaimer but Lotus should seriously have their legal departed draft something similar for a pre-test drive disclaimer!!
I fear this! I havnt even driven one and I cant stop thinking about them and :drool: over this forum.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Welcome to LotusTalk!

What is that track you are parked at in the photos?

Check out my wife's web site, it may help you with your MD home listings so you can get that exige quicker ;). They do virtual tours for real estate agents in the DC metro area.

Real Tour Inc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to LotusTalk!

What is that track you are parked at in the photos?

Check out my wife's web site, it may help you with your MD home listings so you can get that exige quicker ;). They do virtual tours for real estate agents in the DC metro area.

Real Tour Inc.
That is Limerock. On a closed day. I did a 3 day Skib Barber school there earlier this year and stayed a few extra days for ferrari day. An elise was in there lapping right with the full race prepped ferraris! I was like: :eek::clap:

Thanks for the link/heads up, but I create our own Virtual Tours.

·
Registered
856 Posts
That is Limerock. On a closed day. I did a 3 day Skib Barber school there earlier this year and stayed a few extra days for ferrari day. An elise was in there lapping right with the full race prepped ferraris! I was like: :eek::clap:

Thanks for the link/heads up, but I create our own Virtual Tours.
NP, thought I would try to help you and my wifey at the same time.

Have you been to Summit Point? I assume yes... here is the schedule for the season, from our friend Ace10:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f113/2008-summit-point-track-day-schedule-49927/

We are off to VIR this weekend, freakin psyched to get out there on my new R888 tires!

Bet we will cross paths at a track soon enough!

Dave

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I only sweat my Elise because the A/C is so crappy. :cool:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NP, thought I would try to help you and my wifey at the same time.

Have you been to Summit Point? I assume yes... here is the schedule for the season, from our friend Ace10:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f113/2008-summit-point-track-day-schedule-49927/

We are off to VIR this weekend, freakin psyched to get out there on my new R888 tires!

Bet we will cross paths at a track soon enough!

Dave
I have been to Summit, but not with the Legacy yet....soon. Thanks for the schedule! I am sure we will cross paths....good luck at VIR, you'll love the r888's, they are great on light cars!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Welcome... You will find lots of info here on size and fit.. I hope you get your Lotus soon!!!

Why do all heavy people say they are very athletic???

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome... You will find lots of info here on size and fit.. I hope you get your Lotus soon!!!

Why do all heavy people say they are very athletic???
I cant speak for all heavy people, but for me, the reason I said it is because I am not afraid of my ass fitting so much as my shoulders. There is a big difference between an athletic 6'1" 220lb man w/ a 34 inch waist and a non athletic 6'1" 220lb man w/ a 40 inch waist!

Can you see where there might be a difference?

I notice the seats are narrow and the shoulder & side bolsters are almost touching between driver and passenger...this could be an issue for someone like me w/ very wide shoulders.

Cliff Notes: Im not a fatass, Im afraid my shoulders wont fit comfortably.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I cant speak for all heavy people, but for me, the reason I said it is because I am not afraid of my ass fitting so much as my shoulders. There is a big difference between an athletic 6'1" 220lb man w/ a 34 inch waist and a non athletic 6'1" 220lb man w/ a 40 inch waist!

Can you see where there might be a difference?

I notice the seats are narrow and the shoulder & side bolsters are almost touching between driver and passenger...this could be an issue for someone like me w/ very wide shoulders.

Cliff Notes: Im not a fatass, Im afraid my shoulders wont fit comfortably.
Passenger seat doesn't move and is set behind the drivers seat. The entire cockpit is offset giving the driver more space (passenger seat is actually narrower than the driver's seat). YOU will be cumphy, Your passenger however may be a tad uncumphy. But the driver's comfort is the important thing.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Passenger seat doesn't move and is set behind the drivers seat.
What do you mean the passenger's seat is "set behind" the driver's seat? In my car they are set side by side.

xtn

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Passenger seat doesn't move and is set behind the drivers seat. The entire cockpit is offset giving the driver more space (passenger seat is actually narrower than the driver's seat).
Actually, the seats are the same size. But you are correct in that the driver seat is offset an inch or two to the right - this gives the driver more room, and the passenger less.

What do you mean the passenger's seat is "set behind" the driver's seat? In my car they are set side by side.
The passenger seat is mounted slightly farther toward the back than the driver seat. The driver seat may be able to slide back far enough to be even, but I don't remember (mine is adjusted forward slightly.

By the way, you cannot add the seat slider to the passenger seat and make it movable. If you notice, the side rails curve slightly inward toward the foot well. The passenger seat is positioned such that if it was to be able to slide forward, it would immediately hit the side rails and not actually be movable - hence the fixed seat mounting.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts