The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up an 08 Elise Touring Package. I LOVE the way it handles and I've done one auto-x with it in stock form although it has R888s on it. What a blast.

Some background on me: I've auto-xed since 2003 and I won STS in 2009 with a CRX at Nationals. I'm currently running an STR S2000 and missed 1st at Nationals last year by .051 so I can get it done with the right tool and the right amount of luck.

So anyway, is my Elise capable of a National championship? I assume it's a little heavier than earlier models but by how much? I also assume I'd have to do an LSS conversion and install a diff and front sway bar.

Does the Elise stand a chance anymore and is mine just not competitive? Does it devour front tires with the lack of camber?

Thanks, I'm enamored with the way the car drives and I'm just checking out the landscape.

-Matt

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I havent kept up with SS, but I think an elise is capable of keeping up with a c5 z06 or a 996 gt3. If no cars are significantly faster than those, these days you should be good to go..

Of course you will need LSD and LSS and some sort of sway bar. The cars didnt really gain much weight.

The thing that would concern is LSS cars past a certain point came with narrower front wheels (6 vs 6.5 in). This may or may not be an issue

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
From the 2012 SCCA handbook:

APPENDIX K – AWARDS
I. NATIONAL SOLO® CHAMPIONSHIPS
STOCK CATEGORY
Super Stock (SS)
2011 Matthew Braun Northville, MI Lotus Elise
2010 Matthew Braun Northville, MI Lotus Elise

Lotus Elise has won SS catagory last two years, nuf said.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I know that Braun has campaigned it with great success but I'm worried about the C6 Z06 and the fact that the car that Braun used to drive is for sale. I was wondering if that was an indication of the changing landscape in SS.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Availability of resources to install fresh tires before each run will make a difference. Word is Braun won by over a second with this expensive strategy. Otherwise the class is dominated by C5Z and C6GS Corvettes. So, the best driver can win in an Elise but it appears the SS community prefers corvettes. Of course low production and difficulty in compliance with LSS and LSD are a factor.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Matthew Braun AFAIK never owned that Elise (which has been posted for sale in this forum by the owner). He was a co-driver of that car. Also a huge factor in that setup were the Motons shocks (runs ~ $5k). FYI he has been driving an Z06. He will be driving an '07 Z06 at the San Diego Pro Solo this weekend.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know that Matt doesn't own that Elise. I'm also very familiar with Motons as I've had 4 sets on various cars and pretty much brought them into the ST world. Moton likes me. :)

Mainly, I'm curious if there is something that I missed that makes the Elise an underdog these days.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
One thing: HP.
I find it ridiculous that the SCCA does not allow supercharged (factory) elise and exige run in SS class, considering some of the corvettes (which are allowed in SS class), have similar skidpad and slalom speed numbers to Lotus cars, and massively more HP. But then, as others have pointed out to me, raw book numbers do not always equate to track performance. I continue to be amazed at the times people get out of a well-sorted Miata, which is considered an "inertia" car.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Vision function stage 2 should take car of the lack of power issues,gotta pay to play! Im running a entire season N/A first. Getting used to driving a mid-engined car is probably the biggest difference you'll notice from an s2000. Have fun good luck!

·
Registered
354 Posts
The Elise in its basic trim (even including the factory LSD) is not very competitive and needs to be set up properly -- dampers, anti-sway bars, wider & stickier R-comp tires, alignment (including removing shims), seat time and dialing in the proper setup. It can be made to be very competitive.

I have driven the Z06 and while it has gobs of torque, I could feel the weight of that car taking a toll while taking corners which the Elise can compensate (FYI I had an identical time with my Elise while driving the Z06 as an instructor). Still there seem to be more Z06's and GT3's in Super Stock which make running that class so intimidating.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I know that Matt doesn't own that Elise. I'm also very familiar with Motons as I've had 4 sets on various cars and pretty much brought them into the ST world. Moton likes me. :)

Mainly, I'm curious if there is something that I missed that makes the Elise an underdog these days.
I cant think of any car that would change the ss landscape. Is Cayman-r ss legal. Does the GS vette have a gearing advantage over the super tall geared z06 (c6).

Otherwise I would imagine an elise is the cheapest SS contender to campain. The main issue I think if you want to keep it "nice". I think you will end up with alot of fiberglass spiderwebs if you are a super hardcore cone harraser.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I cant think of any car that would change the ss landscape. Is Cayman-r ss legal. Does the GS vette have a gearing advantage over the super tall geared z06 (c6).

Otherwise I would imagine an elise is the cheapest SS contender to campain. The main issue I think if you want to keep it "nice". I think you will end up with alot of fiberglass spiderwebs if you are a super hardcore cone harraser.
That's funny. Although my Elise has no spiderweb cracks, it has a lot of cone marks which does not make it look "nice" after an auto-x weekend. I don't believe in blue masking tape (I can clean it up afterwards). However, that is for another topic...

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't think so:

T 1 189 Matthew Braun 2007 Lotus Elise 129.343
67.049 66.114(1) 64.215
66.134 65.620 65.128
Hoosier

T 2 113 Sam Strano 2010 Chevrolet Corvette GS 130.749 (1.406)
70.564 65.438 64.239 130.749
69.097(1) 66.510 70.672(2)
Hoosier

----

Braun beat Sam by 1.4. ONE POINT FOUR. BrianC in 4th.

I just got an Elise for SS. I don't see any changes this year that would render the Elise uncompetitive; sure, there are course dependencies, but that's a given.

And one point four seconds, over Strano? Sheesh. That's gigantic. I find it curious that the Leckey's car sold, but I cannot believe it was due to "competitiveness," or lack thereof. And, it is not as though the difference would bave been .14 or whatever if Sam'd not hit a cone - do the "what if" and take cones away, Braun goes ~.1 faster, Sam gets nothing - Sam did not cone the win away.

Dunno. A 1.4s win over SS at Nats is indicative of either a giant truckload of luck OR these cars are plenty competitive.

We Shall See.

Iain

·
Registered
101 Posts
The Elise should still be competitive, but you need to be able to exploit the car at that level. (I found myself running out of talent quicker than the car :) ) Matthew is an amazing driver in the Elise, and he can go 110% with it on each run. I would say the West course last year favor the Elise a bit more, especially with Matthew behind the wheels. I have no doubt in my mind even if he didn't bring 3 sets of tires, he would have gotten it done anyway. He could win in any one of the 3 cars in the class.

But the car does have some course dependency issue(e.g. tight turn around) when running against vette and now the new GT3. As long as you can keep up with the boys on a power course, transitional course is up to how fast you can take the car. ;)

SS is a great class to run, friendly folks with great drivers, good luck guys!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Matthew Braun can pretty much drive competitively with a properly setup SS car. Lately he has been successfully driving a 2007 Z06 (his car?) and winning. He lost to Gary Thomason in his 2004 GT3 (12-time multi-class national solo champ, not including Pro Solo champs) in El Toro (Irvine, CA), but he won the Pro Solo in San Diego.

Running with Gary Thomason (2004 Porsche GT3) in 2 weeks in El Toro at the 2012 Southern Pacific Regional Championship (5 entries in SS so far: 3 Corvettes [2 Z06; 1 GS]; 1 GT3; 1 Elise [me]). No worries, mate. :cool:

Bottom line, have fun. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Matthew Braun can pretty much drive competitively with a properly setup SS car. Lately he has been successfully driving a 2007 Z06 (his car?) and winning. He lost to Gary Thomason in his 2004 GT3 (12-time multi-class national solo champ, not including Pro Solo champs) in El Toro (Irvine, CA), but he won the Pro Solo in San Diego.

Running with Gary Thomason (2004 Porsche GT3) in 2 weeks in El Toro at the 2012 Southern Pacific Regional Championship (5 entries in SS so far: 3 Corvettes [2 Z06; 1 GS]; 1 GT3; 1 Elise [me]). No worries, mate. :cool:

Bottom line, have fun. :)
How do you stack up against Gary? Does your car have a limited slip?

Should be a fun event, will be watching!

Iain

·
Registered
354 Posts
How do you stack up against Gary? Does your car have a limited slip?

Should be a fun event, will be watching!

Iain

I have never competed directly against Gary. We were always at different classes over the years. He hardly competes in our area (he mostly runs in San Diego and sometimes in the our LA [CalClub] region) and usually only comes to compete for prizes (ProSolo & National tours).

Best guess that I can figure, probably 3-4 seconds behind Gary (about a 70+ seconds runway course) :eek:. Been running street tires (Federal RSR) since (except when I had the car new when I was running A048 & R888--they suck!). Just mounted a set of V710's square (215's & 245's) ever since the local Corvette boys changed to R-comps. I'm pretty competitive with the local boys (class champ last year). Hoping to come in behind Gary...

Tony

·
Registered
354 Posts
Good deal, should be fun. I've never been to El Toro, heard good things - maybe next year!

Go fast!

Iain

Hope to see you then (I don't travel very far anymore).

Tony

·
Registered
354 Posts
Darn, 1 more 6-time national champion to beat (Scott McHugh) :evil:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts