The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
perryeyges said:
My CSAA (Cal State Auto Assn) insurance cost for full coverage was quoted 1,250 per yr...
Is that as an only car, or with multiple cars? The cheapest my agent could find as an only car was $1600 per 6 months.

That's with maximum liability coverage, collision and comprehensive, with $1000 deductible.

For comparison, a '99 Miata with the same coverage is $380 for 6 months.

Maybe I'll call up CSAA, since I am a member now.

·
Registered
687 Posts
My 21st Century coverage is shown below. What you don't see: 28 yr. old single male, 5,000 miles/yr. for each car. Even though each car is set for 5,000 miles, it was cheaper to list the Miata as the "primary" car.

Note that it doesn't say Elise because the car isn't in their system, yet. Expect the cost to rise when insurance companies find out that it's in insurance group 20 (out of 20) in the U.K.

I probably have to change the mileage req. since my Elise has 3,000 smile-filled miles in the first month! :p

Attachments

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Here in NorCal my StateFarm agent quoted me with $850 every 6 months. That's 100/300/100 with a $250 deductable. Age 31, no tickets ever but I live downtown which bumps my rates up a bit. Anyway...

Later they call back... says 'they're having a problem with the VIN'. I give it to them again.

A week passes. Then they call back... says 'Are you sure it's an Elise? Isn't it an Esprit?'. No, Elise. I'm pretty sure ;)

A few more days pass ... no insurance cards yet. I call to find out about them. 'give it another week'.

An hour passes then I phone them up and tell 'em I would like to double check that I gave them the correct VIN. So I read it off ... 'SCCPC111...etc'. Yes, they say, that's the number they have.

Finally ... I get a call and they say 'We didn't have the 2005 Elises in our system ... they've now been added and your car is now in the system.'

Sheeze ... now _that's_ a new car. :rolleyes:

I don't think the ins co's know anything about this car yet ... they must be just going on price. I've got a feeling rates will increase when the 5mph bump costs come to light (which should average higher right with no bumpers and all). :(

-doma

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Dan,

$483 / 6 mos? That's a good number to start out with. I wonder if StateFarm is just more expensive or if I too could get that kind of rate if I drop to $1000 deductables like you have. I also listed a different vechicle as the 'primary'. :(

-doma

·
Registered
687 Posts
doma said:
Dan,

$483 / 6 mos? That's a good number to start out with. I wonder if StateFarm is just more expensive or if I too could get that kind of rate if I drop to $1000 deductables like you have. I also listed a different vechicle as the 'primary'. :(

-doma
I went online and checked what would happen if I changed my deductibles:

$250 comp./$200 coll.: $664/6 mos
$250 comp./$300 coll.: $615/6 mos

When I shopped around, 21st was the cheapest for me, and I know someone who has had to use their service and was happy with it.

Here's a link to where all of the features are documented and can compare with other insurance companies:
http://www.21st.com/cg/tools.do
There are sample rates that you can compare by zip code. They are not always the lowest. I think Mercury is usually lower, but they have less features.

Remember that the Elise isn't in their system yet, either. I'm not looking forward to when it is.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
doma said:
Finally ... I get a call and they say 'We didn't have the 2005 Elises in our system ... they've now been added and your car is now in the system.'
I just insured mine through State Farm...they wrote it up for about $350 I think, then I got my policy notice recently saying the rate is more like $460, though I haven't been billed for the extra yet. I live in Sunnyvale, so you can probably expect to pay a similar amount.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts