The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm signed up, anyone else going? I realize it is on the same Friday as the Monterey Historics and I'm guessing most folks would be at that instead. Probably will lend to some smaller run groups which is never a bad thing. :D

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I will be there. Not sure which car I will be driving.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will be there. Not sure which car I will be driving.
Whichever has the best AC, because I'm betting its going to be HOT.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like there's a good chance it will be over 100 there...ouch! At least they have covered paddock parking...woot!

·
Registered
937 Posts
I'm thinking of doing this. A real newbie on the track. This track looks like it has plenty of run off. Is there track ins. available for something like this?
Can somebody pm me a checklist of things I'll need and check for.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I'm thinking of doing this. A real newbie on the track. This track looks like it has plenty of run off. Is there track ins. available for something like this?
Can somebody pm me a checklist of things I'll need and check for.
It's the best track for beginners in NorCal :up:

The HOD website and the NASA website have good checklists for how to prepare and what to bring on your first track day.

Enjoy! :shift:

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, the only real place to hit anything is coming off turn 15 onto the front straight. If you put two tires off the left side of the track and try to correct back on, you could end up getting to know the pit wall very intimately. Best to let it go off and not risk it. Thunderhill is the only track I've run, and only with Hooked on Driving. That said, as a complete novice myself, I feel like both Thunderhill and HoD are a perfect beginner track and group to track with.

Here's info for HPDE insurance should you chose to go with it. This is from HoD's own website of partners: HPDE Insurance Program

Also, if you don't already have one, get a helmet SA2005 or better, and some racing style gloves. Here's where I buy my equipment: Sparco, OMP, Puma, Aria, Bell, HJC, Hans - Wine Country Motor Sports They are located at Infineon Raceway (Sears Point). Just drive up to the gate, sign the waiver and ask them where Wine Country Motorsports is (its slightly to the right as you pass through the entrance).

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bump! A Group - Beginner is sold out. Any other LT folks are going?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I will be there to help coach the A folks (and anyone else that wants commentary) if at all possible. Just look or the guy with the "Captain America" helmet. Pretty hard to miss it.

Steve

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll be in B group, hope I can get you to coach me if you aren't too busy Steve.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
My Lotus will be making its long-awaited return to the track on the 14th (C group).

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm thinking of doing this. A real newbie on the track. This track looks like it has plenty of run off.
Great meeting you yesterday Henry, hope you enjoyed Thunderhill.

My Lotus will be making its long-awaited return to the track on the 14th (C group).
I checked out your car during lunch, looks like a beast! Second track day together and still haven't met you. rotfl
The gentleman with the silver Elise was telling me you were walking away from him on the straights pretty good!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I checked out your car during lunch, looks like a beast! Second track day together and still haven't met you. rotfl
The gentleman with the silver Elise was telling me you were walking away from him on the straights pretty good!
My bad on that, I will try to be less anti-social at the next event.

Don (silver Elise) made the same comment to me, which surprised me as my car is way slower with the new motor. My new motor has 10.5:1 compression pistons (vs. the stock 11.5:1), but is still using the stock pulley and standard Gotham tune. At 7000 rpm, the motor stops pulling. I lost track of the number of point-bys that other cars gave me as I struggled to get past them (they would start waving their hand back and forth as if I was purposely not passing, or maybe they were trying to create some vacuum to help get my car past them). Some custom tuning and other power-adding mods will definitely come this fall.

My lack of motor power was generally overcome by the awesome grip I was getting from my Nitrons and Advan A005 slicks. This was the first event on this setup (I was previously on the track pack with A048s) and could not believe the difference. I was able to carry way more corner speed (which resulted in higher exit speeds), which is likely what made Don believe my car was pulling strong.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My bad on that, I will try to be less anti-social at the next event.

My lack of motor power was generally overcome by the awesome grip I was getting from my Nitrons and Advan A005 slicks. This was the first event on this setup (I was previously on the track pack with A048s) and could not believe the difference. I was able to carry way more corner speed (which resulted in higher exit speeds), which is likely what made Don believe my car was pulling strong.
I wouldn't say anti-social, we just end up under different canopies.

I'm running A048's and I actually got loose on T3 which was interesting...I had to start dialing it back some there to make sure I didn't spin. I didn't want to be another incident...I was surprised as there were at least two offs and one contact (in D group).

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I wouldn't say anti-social, we just end up under different canopies.

I'm running A048's and I actually got loose on T3 which was interesting...I had to start dialing it back some there to make sure I didn't spin. I didn't want to be another incident...I was surprised as there were at least two offs and one contact (in D group).

Getting loose in T3 is common. I use my sportbike line in T3, which is a bit different than what I see the car guys doing (I have done way more sportbike track days than car track days).

Here is what I do:The left side of the track at the entrance of T3 is perfectly flat (the next time you get to take a 40 mph parade lap, check this section of the track out). I enter T3 from this flat spot on the left. I believe entering T3 from this spot is advantage because: 1) the car is properly balanced from the onset of the turn and 2) it decreases the radius of the turn. A little brake, and a hard turn right, scrubs off a lot of the T2 exit speed you are carrying into T3 and enables you to go through the turn strong.

Using this turn in point, I have never had an issue with getting loose in T3, and it seems to be faster than the common mid-track turn in point that I see others doing.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Sorry I missed it...I cam home Thursday evening to a cloud of smoke...cracked an oil line to the turbo :( Normally, I would have just grabbed the motorhome and driven it up...but it's at Camping World being gussied up (since this is one of the rare downtime gaps in the summer racing season).

My T3 thoughts are that you can never be too tight on that corner. Well, you can be, but the cost of being too tight on the entry is very small compared to the costs of finding yourself out fighting the downhill slope.

Here's a quick vid of how I generally do it (It's like three laps, but there's nothing great after the first lap)...these were pretty modest 2:08's IIRC just sorting the car out after fixing the front end (note the charming "borrowed" nose colors) right after the repavement of the track. I just realized I missed apexes a few times... don't copy that portion of the video. :) :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
My T3 thoughts are that you can never be too tight on that corner. Well, you can be, but the cost of being too tight on the entry is very small compared to the costs of finding yourself out fighting the downhill slope.
I'm always confused on how to take T3 and T5 properly (turn-in, braking points, inside/outside line), as the rear end gets very light. Also, I'm really close to the rev limiter coming out of T2, are you just coasting there or going into 4th for a split second? Would you stay inside the whole way for T5 (bypass) the same way as T3?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts