The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Normal street driving - RPM?

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  LARRY 
#1 ·
Still getting a feel for the Exige S. Seems like 3500-5000 RPM is responsive, but it sounds like the engine is working too hard. Probably just me not used to the sound. Does that range seem reasonable for driving around town?

#3 ·
Won't hurt it a bit.

#6 ·
As long as your not aiming for 30mph your fine.

#7 ·
So, I just went by the local dealer to get some touch up paint (removed the canards), and the sales guy I was talking to before knew the car. He said it had a "stage 2 titanium exhaust". I suspected the exhaust was not stock because it was louder then other Exige's I drove. This also explains what I am hearing at the higher RPM's.

Probably going to put a stock or at least a less noisy exhaust on. This one is a bit over the top for my tastes.

Anyone know what a "stage 2 titanium exhaust" may be?

#9 ·
The quietest exhaust I know of is made by 2bular (2Bular - Performance Exhausts). The 8" diameter can version is definitely quieter than stock.

#8 ·
If it has a single oval tip it is likely a Stage II, which is the stock exhaust on the Exige S. Louder and a little more free flowing than the stock Elise exhaust. Got a pic? Its easy to confirm with one.

#10 ·
There several single oval tip exhausts out there...and the Stage II is not stock on any Elise or Exige (it is however an OEM dealer sourced part which they will install and warranty).

So, I just went by the local dealer to get some touch up paint (removed the canards), and the sales guy I was talking to before knew the car. He said it had a "stage 2 titanium exhaust". I suspected the exhaust was not stock because it was louder then other Exige's I drove. This also explains what I am hearing at the higher RPM's.

Probably going to put a stock or at least a less noisy exhaust on. This one is a bit over the top for my tastes.
Sounds like you are returning a moderately modified car back to stock...interesting.

#11 ·
I drive around town at 3500 or so rpm. The engine luggs in the Elise below 2500. It seems to shift better around 3800 - 5500...

#13 ·
From what I can gather it is this exhaust:

Quicksilver Ultralight Titanium Sports Exhaust - Elise S/111R/Exige S/240R

This makes sense because the dealer for Houston is the Lotus dealer and he said it was installed there. The guy who originally bought the car was loaded and spared no expense!! Had to have the best.

It will probably be up for sale along with the other stuff soon. Just need to figure out how much it is worth.

Attachments

#15 ·
...i usually putter about between 2500 and 4500 when i'm not feeling enthusiastic, but my usual brisk pace tends to hover between 3500 and 6000...once she's nicely warm, i frequently pull up to 8000 in spirited bursts, but again settle somewhere around 3500 to 4500 for sustained RPM, blipping higher to downshift......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.