The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

North America gathering at Yellowstone, EPIC road trip 2013

9K views 74 replies 18 participants last post by  m3dragon 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I posted a thread the 1 series and M3 forums to gauge peoples interest on actually driving their car on a road trip. As expected a mix bag of replies but I figured what the heck, start a thread and begin planning.

If you have never been to Yellowstone, this is one of those bucket list items. Therefore, no hemming and hawing about going just do it, as you will have a blast. You bought the car to drive it, so drive it. (sorry had to throw in a soap box moment as there will be post here saying that is too far for me to drive. Just watch ;-)

I would like to ask the forum admins to leave this here if possible to see if we can actually pull a group together.

To make life easy I would say use Bimmerforums as the “central” post spot for groups to arrange caravans. I will be posting this to all the major BMW forums and a few none BMW ones. Please feel free to copy this over to threads as I only hit what I linked below.

Here is an idea of the dates and game plan for everyone:[/b[

June 9th, 2013 – Drive to West Yellowstone for base camp (drive solo or in group)
June 10th – 12th, 2013 – See Yellowstone park (if you have a time crunch 2 days is the MINUM need to see most of the highlights in the park.)
June 13th, 2013 – Check out and travel to see the Grand Tetons.
June 13th, 2013 – Check into Jackson Wyoming
June 14th, 2013 – Travel home

This is a year out so some there is time to flesh out some things. I already have the places to stay in mind but 1 year out for booking is a bit much. I would will work on group rates on lodging as we get closer to the event.

Here are some sample images of the visit my wife and I did in 2011 in our 2006 E90.

Forums this is posted on. Info is the same across all of them:
North America gathering at Yellowstone, EPIC road trip 2013 - Ferrari Life

North America gathering at Yellowstone, EPIC road trip 2013 - R3VLimited Forums

North America gathering at Yellowstone, EPIC road trip 2013 - 6speedonline.com Forums

North America gathering at Yellowstone, EPIC road trip 2013. Interested? - XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

North America gathering at Yellowstone, EPIC road trip 2013 - North American Motoring

North America gathering at Yellowstone, EPIC road trip 2013 - BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

North America gathering at Yellowstone, EPIC road trip 2013 - BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

North America gathering at Yellowstone, EPIC road trip 2013 - The Unofficial BMW M5 Messageboard (m5board.com)

North America gathering at Yellowstone, EPIC road trip 2013 - ZPOST

North America gathering at Yellowstone, EPIC road trip 2013 - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

North America gathering at Yellowstone, EPIC road trip 2013 - e30tech.com Forums

North America gathering at Yellowstone, EPIC road trip 2013 - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - E90Post.com

North America gathering at Yellowstone, EPIC road trip 2013 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

North America gathering at Yellowstone, EPIC road trip 2013 - E46Fanatics

North America gathering at Yellowstone, EPIC road trip 2013 - BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3)

See less See more
#37 ·
A question came up if you need to attend the whole event.

Answers is NO. If you can only make half the event or only want to do half the event you can still attend. I am not holding anyone to the fire so you are welcome to come and go as you please. I will have some scheduled actives (group shots, drive areas, other being planned) that I would hope you attend but if you do not, I am not going to hunt you down ;-)

#44 ·
Would anyone be towing up there and then dropping their car from the trailer to actually drive the mountain roads/passes? With an Elise, if my wife and I were to go.....it's not like we could pack much luggage coming all the way from Phoenix.

We'd probably tow up there....meet up with you guys for some of the runs in Teton and around Yellowstone and then part ways and head up to Glacier since my wife's never been and it's been on her list of things to see for years.

Definitely not saying we are in at this point....heck, we don't even get our Elise until Friday, but we're definitely interested. I just don't know if the stars will align and we'll be able to go next summer.

Sean

#45 ·
I am still getting people singing up =) great to see all the eclectic mix of Euro cars that will hopefully be in attendance.

I am working with the West Yellowstone chamber of commerce on some special events activities while we are there. I also have a call into the National Park Service to see about arranging a special photo shoot inside the park. Navigating the red tape at the moment but hopeful i can pull it off.

Remember to email friends and contact your local Euro car clubs to let them know about this event. For a forum / underground created event, it is growing rather nicely. =)

#46 ·
#47 ·
I wanted to wish everyone a safe and happy New Year. Look forward to seeing some of you in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. Hopefully we will have a great event.

or those who have filled out the Google doc, you should have gotten an email with the hotels rates. Additionally there is a link to a website to order the stack decals for your car. If you did not get this email please let me know.

A few people have already ordered the decals so there are a few numbers less to pick from. I realized I never said you get to pick your car number if you order the decals.

#48 ·
Just a FYI, For those who signed up on the Google form, I sent a email a while back with a webpage on how to order decals. I have updated the page with a desired car number field. No Promises yo will get that number so please have a few choices. You can do all numbers ( 00-99 ) or letter and number ( A0 )

Please email VS PM as I am not on some of these forums very often. norcal.drivers@gmail.com

#50 ·
I sent an email to those who sided up with details on some rental car options. If you did not get this email please check spam as I used the Mail Chimp service to make the email pretty and easier for me to send the details of the event.

As this is a Euro car road trip I looked into what Euro cars were available. I was able to get rates on some BMW’s and Mercedes for those who want to do the trip but not in their car. The cost is about $100 a day which normally is between $125-$165.

I was also able to get leads on a few Porsche's for rent but you would have to go to LA and drive with the people coming from there. For the whole week would be about $2400.

There are some Mercedes SUV’s I was able to have for rent for those who want to fly and meet us on the way.

#51 ·
Job permitting, I would love to join the group in June. What scares me a bit is the number (77?) of attendees so far. I did cruise Yellowstone a few years ago, after LOG27, but individually. Had a great time though and would like to do it over. One thing though: you won't be zipping through the park since the posted speed limit is mostly 35 to 40 mph. Hey, on the positive you get great mileage (38 mpg in my 05 Lotus Elise) while you enjoy nature. Here are a couple of pics to give you an idea what you can expect:

Attachments

#59 ·
For kicks I took the time to map out all the people that requested info. This is the caravan routes according to Google for the fastest route there based on ZIPs provided.

If everyone that requested info is able to attend, that will make for a truly continental event. Alaska is winning for furthest traveled as you can see.

If you have questions or have not gotten the last email update, please email direct - norcal.drivers@gmail.com

#67 ·
I wanted to do one last bump for the event. I will post here next with a link to the images and video from the event.

Decals and T-shirts have been ordered. If you want a decal or t-shirt please let me know ASAP so I can add your request to the order.

As always if you have not gotten any email updates please email me so we can make sure you get the updates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.