The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

North Bay Lotus Drive and BBQ

7K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  ElanGtv2000 
#1 ·
Hello,
Greg Tatarian - new to this list, but on LotusElan.net for a few years.
My fellow Lotus buddy and GGLC member John Kenner and I are hosting a GGLC-sanctioned North Bay Lotus Event. We'll be meeting in Rohnert Park on October 10 for an approximately 2.25 hour drive with one stop at the French Marin Cheese Co. in west Petaluma, then back country roads up to John's beautiful ranch in Sebastopol for a BBQ and hanging out at his Lotus/Triumph Barn.
More details available through the upcoming Chapman report, or right now on my website:
http://www.wildliferesearchassoc.com/LotusElan/GGLCEvent.pdf and
http://www.wildliferesearchassoc.com/LotusElan/GGLCEventMap.pdf
or by requesting details by email - gtwincams@gmail.com.
Mixed vintage Lotuses are welcome!
Cheers,
Greg Tatarian
1971 Lotus Elan S4 DHC

#5 ·
I understand. That's exactly why we wanted to host an event in the North Bay... many of us in this area find the regular meeting site and locations of drives to be too far south or east, especially in our older cars.

We're hoping to make North Bay drives and tech sessions (I hosted one for a local club and invited GGLC members awhile ago) a more regular thing to attract members in the area. That said, except for one person, all others who have RSVP'd are coming in new Lotus models - Exige and Elise. Joel should be there in his well-known Noble, as well.

God, I hope I don't slow you all down trailing behind my Elan! C'mon folks - let's get some Europas and Elans, how about a Cortina?

Here's what you you'll be led by (unless you want to go on ahead)...

1971 Elan S4 DHC Pics : Elan Gallery

Cheers, Greg

#7 ·
Hey Greg...I'm willing to bet you were the Elan we saw going south on Hwy 1 during my first North Bay drive (San Francisco -> Hwy 1 -> Tiburon for Lunch). I'll try to find the thread...some of us were trying to figure out who was driving such a great looking example. :D

#8 ·
Hey, thanks for that. That was me, and I tried to turn around and catch up but there were too many cars that wouldn't let me in, then I got stuck behind several Vespa riders, one of which was clearly a novice but simply wouldn't let me past. That went on for 15 minutes. Got lots of great pics that day, though, and hooked up briefly with another mixed marque group that was taking a break. That was a good day for a drive!
Cheers,
Greg

#11 ·
Well that was fun! Great pics, too. It would have been inspiring, but intimidating, if you all had come up from behind me that day. RE: the discussion of comms, I'll be bringing a couple of radios that perform quite well, hopefully well enough. I suppose that applies to myself and the Elan, as well... :eek:
Greg

#10 ·
I"m in. I haven't driven the Elise except to AutoX for the last few months. I guess I'll have to get out and wash it before the drive so I don't ruin the neighborhood values.

Steve

#15 ·
Currently I'm using TriSquare TSX3000 eXRS radios. Have gone through 7 different radio models (mostly Motorola) over the years as a field biologist, using them in difficult terrain. I am finding the TriSquare perform better, so it will be interesting to see how the newer Motorolas perform in comparison.
The Motorola T9500XLR and similar types are FRS/GMRS radios, so all have the same channels, however the TSX300 radios use different technology, so have 10 billion frequencies, none of which will communicate with the standard FRS/GMRS. I've still got that type of radio, so I'll bring both, and give one of our TSX300 radios to the follow car.
TriSquare - TSX300 - 10 BILLION Channel Digital 2-way Radio - 900MHz long range - eXRS (TM)
Greg

#16 ·
Currently I'm using TriSquare TSX3000 eXRS radios.
Those radios make mine look like toys!

Oh and BUMP! Anyone in the Bay Area should really take this opportunity to check out some really impressive driving roads in the North Bay...and for once I'm not leading so it should be great! :D

#18 ·
Heh Greg, do you have the route map saved as a set of GPS coordinates in Google or Mapquest? I'd like to get a better idea of which roads you're taking.

Thanks,
Bill

PS, I'll let you know if I'm going by tomorrow, 10/5.

#20 ·
Hi Spudboy,
No GPS coords, just the Streets and Trip map and directions on my website with street names, and as RNR pointed out, some thoughtful person translated the route to Google on the CRO.
Besides, no GPS in our Elan - that would add too much weight!
Cheers,
Greg

#21 ·
#24 · (Edited)
I can suggest an additional meeting point on 101 if a group wants to caravan for the last part of the drive North.
There is a convenient Park 'n Ride parking lot just East of the Lucas Valley Rd. exit from 101 (EZ off/on for the highway). That exit is 30-35 miles South of the meeting spot in Rohnert Park, so leaving there 8:45-9 AM should work OK.

Anyone up for that meeting place?

#30 ·
Well today was one of the most enjoyable rides I've ever had the pleasure to share with my fellow Lotus drivers. A HUGE thank you to John and his family for putting on such a great feast after our drive. Likewise, big thanks to Greg and Trish for leading the way and keeping us from getting lost (something I can't say after my own little navigational error!). Other than that piece of Hwy 1, I'd never been on ANY of those roads before.

Here's a link to my pictures:

Cheers

#31 ·
++1 -- A superior day with a great group driving great cars and enjoying great roads, topped off with some great food and hospitality -- hard to ask for anything more :clap:.

#32 ·
Likewise! That was an incredible drive, bit bumpy in my car at times...but oh well. You old guys sure run a fast pace. :D The food and hospitality was wonderful, thank you so much Greg, John and family.

Who else saw the motorcyclist go flying? He was right in front of Greg and all I saw was feet in the air. Glad he was up and seemed ok when we got up to him. I bet the folks at that restaurant or whatever were surprised to see that right in front of them.

#33 · (Edited)
Three cheers for Greg and John. Had a great time. Well organized, great route. And my girlfriend enjoyed it. (That last is the most important criteria for the long term viability of my Lotus ownership).

Thanks a ton for a great day!

Edit: Bill, those are some great pictures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.