The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone -

I have posted a few times trying to diagnose a running issue with my Esprit SE. Basically when I try to accelerate it stumbles and stalls.

What has been done so far:
new ECU
new coil
tune up
new plugs and wres
new O2 sensor
injectors checked out ok

getting code 13 and 26 at times but not consistantly

SO....after all this I brought my car to a new mechanic who is a Lotus guy. Several weeks later my bill is now at 8 hours of diagnostic time @ $125 per hour with zero progress ($1039).

Am I getting taken or can this issue be this complicated? I know the Esprit can be a pricey car to work on, but 8 hours seems like it would be enough time to move forward....even a little.

Opinions???

I appreciate any and all input -

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I would recommend focusing on an electrical issue more along the lines of a bad ground or bad battery. It's amazing how these simple to fix once you find them ground issues can create such weird issues.

Try running new temporary grounds to the chassis, engine block and battery to see if that helps. And a new battery if you haven't already.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
You didn't say the year of your car. If it is the K-Jet this sounds like a common problem. I would make sure the the Lambda system is functioning properly. If it is not you would be running very lean and have these symptoms. Other common possibilities include vacuum leaks or a fuel delivery problem (low pressure/flow). If you are not happy with the shop and/or have lost confidence in them you might want to consider taking it to another shop. There are enough differences among Lotus's of different years, motors, etc, that there are not many Lotus guys capable of working on all of the different ones. I would try to work some kind of discount into the price since they have not been able to find or fix anything. It is one thing if they were able to fix it, in this case they are no closer then when they started.
David Teitelbaum

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,755 Posts
^^^ David, an Esprit SE would be '89 - '93. GM MPFI, not K-Jet.

It's difficult to second-guess 8 hours of diagnostics on a Forum. Hopefully there were some data runs performed using the Freescan datalogger.

4 cyl. Esprit Freescan

If so, post them somewhere and send the link. Someone well versed in GM engines like Sanj or Travis (Vulcan Grey) might be able to see what is going on.

The Code 26 (Quad Cam Driver) code is common, I think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts