The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a performance driving school in northern IL. I would like to use their cars at first, no reason to put a beating on my car until I learn how to do it. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Team Stradale based out of Autobahn offers driving schools in their cars: Rent & Race - Team Stradale. T.J., Lotus Mechanic Extraordinaire, now works there so I'm sure he can get you any info that you need. His screen name here is twaszak1.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
+ 1 to Team Stradale and T.J.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
+3 for TJ and Stradale

Another option are the Lotus Corps events. You just missed it, but just did the Drivers Education track day at Blackhawk a couple of weeks ago. Great guys and classroom and an instructor rides with you. Learned a ton.

Yes, it's your car, but hey, allows you to learn your car!

Another option is to join up on some Spirited Drives - we do a ton! Lots of twisty roads, speed, etc. You won't get an instructor, but you'll really have fun in YOUR car. The LotusCorp one is this weekend (Sat/Sun overnite) - I'm only going Saturday, but it will be tons of fun. Starts in Rockford. Check the 'Chicago Drives' thread.

·
He's on fire!
3,261 Posts
one data point to consider is cost. Bring your own car and the cost can be as low as $300 for the day. Use somebody elses and you can add $1000 to the per day cost, which is quite a bit for someone dipping their toe in the water.

I'd advise forgoing the worry and using what you have, be it at a track day or at an autox. Alternatively, you can show at a track day/autox and ask for a ride. It won't be the same as driving, but maybe it will help answer questions/concerns about what a track day is and if its something you'd be interested in.

·
Long-term Lotus Fanatic
984 Posts
Hey Hank -

I know that you're a little leary of using your car for your first driver school - but Lotus Corps/Laps Inc is having a track day Aug 20th for only $275.

Check out the thread at:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f112/joint-lotus-corps-laps-inc-track-day-august-20th-116814/

We've got some great, low key, professional quality instructors. No one will push you to go faster than you feel like, or to do anything you're uncomfortable with. This is a great way to get started - a very safe place to do it at - and a great track to start off at.

Hope to see you there -

1 - 8 of 8 Posts