The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!
41 - 60 of 92 Posts
Hey Holmz I use redline 10w40 with a 1/4 bottle of breakin zddp at each change. No cam wear yet but I really don't think oil is the issue.
You may want to research more on the subject...
As the cam wear may be related to the lower amount of additives.

But your precautions w/10w40 and 1/4 bottle mitigate that.
How did you come up with using that winning combo unless you knew about the issue?

And second make sure you have a wide band o2 so you can see your AF ratio.

good luck!
Thanks for all the input here. I am interested in this AF ratio. How would I go about doing this though? Do i replace my existing? how would I get this measurement from current ecu?

The fuel safety switch is a good idea, I think I will add that to the list today. What minimum PSI should I get? 15 seems to be the common number.

Still need: Fuel Safety and would like to know more about this AF deal.

the in cab no2 pressure gauge is 300 bucks, I think I am going test this system out. If I like the 35HP at least I will buy the gauge. I wont be running it alot at first.

The new cam and rollers are on the way, still having trouble locating these shims though. Not sure if I can order a sample pack or if I should wait tell I know just what I need, Anyone got a Part # for this?

Fisthammer,
The shims are available in multiple sizes. You order the size you need from Toyota. Shops which regularly do head work carry a variety of shim sizes; it is not one size fits all. My A/F meter is a NGK AFX, which is below $300 last I checked. My de-cat pipe has 3 bungs, two for the standard oxygen sensor, and an additional one to allow a wide-band O2 sensor to be screwed in.

Cool, thanks.

Well if watching my air to fuel is going to tell me something useful I am pretty much sold. Thing is I am new to engine management.:confused:

Really, I would like some food for thought.

Besides avoiding blowing the thing up what are some advantages or uses to watching this? Also what is the range I would look to hit? how could I correct it?

I assume this is running lean or rich deal?

Defiantly interested in this but the thought of all these gauges is making me :eek:

I have found a company that offers a single gauges that has many uses and I remember seeing O2 sensor so I;d bet I can use it to watch air fuel.

As of now I found a EFI nos fuel safety switch. goes from 30-50 psi. Guess I will see what pressure I am at then decide where Id let it drop to.

Anybody know of a relay system where if the no2 system is cut because of fuel pressure it stays off for like 30 seconds?

I have some decisions to make on all these gauges and I kinda wanna test it all before buying 500.00 in gauges :wallbang:

Discussion starter · #45 ·
I have a better idea which has been brought to me by your question. I am glad you asked. I would build two pressure switches which must be both activated in order for the no2 system to dump the shot. One would be a boost pressure switch and the other would be a fuel pressure switch. This way you are not messing around with iffy relays. This is basically a manual version of a computerized management system. Just much simpler.

Cool, thanks.

Well if watching my air to fuel is going to tell me something useful I am pretty much sold. Thing is I am new to engine management.:confused:
I have some decisions to make on all these gauges and I kinda wanna test it all before buying 500.00 in gauges :wallbang:
You may be better off logging the data as:
1) it is hard to look at the road and the gauge.
2) It is easier to show that the engine was doing to someone post-facto.

Guess there's nothing I could plug into odbc or something for this is their?

Now I am waiting for parts..

I'm heading to NYC for my boys bachelor party for the weekend, anyone know good strip Culbs?

Ok I'm back, that was sick!

NYC is baddass

Anyhow parts are here, but my inspection is up in 3 days soo I'm gonna try n get that done today before I rip it apart.

I have a cracked side mirror, but I also have a new one in the box. I hope they dont make me change it now cause I plan on taking the car all apart again this winter. Annnd the windows are tinted. Annnnd now theirs a SC in it....

Man do I need an inspection shop that is not so up tight but I am finding not everyone will inspect a lotus.

If all goes well guess I gotta change the cam first, no fun......Then the no2

Attachments

Sure, durning the cam swap I think I damaged the crank position sensor, but it's been alot of research to lead to this, including resetting the timing chain twice just to be sure.

Part is on the way, if I get it all back together I can move on to no2, it's all sitting right here

second make sure you have a wide band o2 so you can see your AF ratio.
Hey Dwebb, I am playing around getting this install finished up. I have the last few lines ordered today, had to learn my AN chart lol got some extras now...

Goinng to look into air to fuel now, thanks for the tip I think this is real important!

I love the NOS idea, but definitively don't run it if you can't monitor your A/F ratios. Go too lean and engine goes boom. My turbo setup we shoot for 11.2ish on WOT and general keep it between 11.2-11.4, anything above 11.6ish and I start to worry a little. Get into the 12s and things can get interesting quickly.

Personally I run AEM's stuff mostly. But I just got a dual oil pressure/temperature monitor from Innovate Motorsports. You ought to check them out. The stuff seems great quality even though I've not used yet, and they got some cool tech to progam and link their guages together. Also I called up there tech support department and they were easy to reach and really cool to talk to.

I'd get this if I were you:
MTX-L Wideband O2 Digital Air/fuel Ratio Gauge

And then maybe consider an oil pressure, and temp gauge as well,

If you need one of those two pod gauge clusters from bwr mentioned earlier in the thread PM me if you are interested in buying a slightly used one, I'm about to replace my two gauge one with a three.

You are going to need a Wideband O2 sensor, so the stock ones won't work. The kit comes with the bung, you'll just need to bring it to a muffler shop to have it welded in. The manual tells you where to put it depending on if you are running a cat or not.

Yes! the kit is installed. Everything is fine except I have not gotten around to getting this air/fuel thing setup. I sucked at guessing AN fitting sizes... Still working on a few more shorter lines but the ones I have will work, just too long... Now I know the AN and NPT chart well..

I set the jets for 30HP, thinking about just giving it a run...

Once I was enlightened about the lean/rich condition hazards I wanted to play it safe n get the gauge..

I'd say another 2 weeks or 3 I will have that installed an can test it all out and write a thread on it

Full Size Pics in my gallery!

Tank in the trunk "still need to install my new 12" line for no2"

Engage:

Wide Open Throttle:

WOT warn Light:

WOT warn Light ON:

Still need shorter these:

I know I still need some shorter lines plus this winter I would like to really clean up the engine bay, but hey this + the air/fuel deal and I am good for prototypin'

41 - 60 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.