The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I took apart my TB to clean, once i was done i went to start her up, after 20 sec I here a ticking sound as i went to shut her off to check the oil I then herd a knocking sound and shut her down quickly, as I look down at the ground I see All my oil running down my driveway. I knew I have then been hit with the oil line failure. So now it looks like the front clam will be off once again. Now I know what LOTUS really stands for, Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious.. All in all Im glad it didnt happen when I was on the parkway and know one got hurt.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Sucks.

But remember, this could have been much more worse. Please report to Lotus.

Where was the knocking sound coming from ? Front or rear ?

Lets hope you don't have any engine damage...

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
So sorry to hear that! I sure hope Lotus gets their sh4t together and starts taking care of us. We are the future of the company. Loyal owners go back for more purchases. Or NOT! This is getting ridiculous!!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im going to fix the lines myself but the knocking was comming from the top of the motor. The motor was cold start and the oil pissed out before it made temp so hopfully the motor is fine, but there was no oil on the dipstick when i checked it after i shut her down.

Note.My car has 36k miles

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
sorry. Another case for proactive oil cooler relocation or reinstallation of replacement fittings.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Im going to fix the lines myself but the knocking was comming from the top of the motor. The motor was cold start and the oil pissed out before it made temp so hopfully the motor is fine, but there was no oil on the dipstick when i checked it after i shut her down.

Note.My car has 36k miles
I would check with a dealer. If you fix it your self and there is motor damage, Lotus may not do anything about the motor. :mad:

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm curious where it failed and what year/mileage as well. I recently did the pancake removal after smelling a very slight smell of oil while driving. Found a tiny hint of oil around the top cooler connection.

Next step for me is the Radium clam removal kit (just ordered) and relocation of the cooler to the driver side rear inlet with new hoses.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
So today I took apart my TB to clean, once i was done i went to start her up, after 20 sec I here a ticking sound as i went to shut her off to check the oil I then herd a knocking sound and shut her down quickly, as I look down at the ground I see All my oil running down my driveway. I knew I have then been hit with the oil line failure. So now it looks like the front clam will be off once again. Now I know what LOTUS really stands for, Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious.. All in all Im glad it didnt happen when I was on the parkway and know one got hurt.

I'd do the oil exam or whatever it is to see if your motor is toast - if so, Lotus should still replace the motor. If that's the case and you get it back with a new motor, I'd relocate the oil cooler and/or switch lines immediately. The Lotus re-installations of oil lines have been blowing too. I ended up with the BOE solution. Saves 20 pounds.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yes my car is an 06' model, 36k miles. I will post pics once the front clam is off the car. I pulled the inner wheel liner out but it looks fine, it must of blown off on the front part of the oil cooler, hard to see without the clam off the car. I have to pull it anyways to install a new a/c drier line.

edit: I busted out my scope. heres what i found. Hose just slipped right off like it was nothing. :shrug:

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
damn.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so I got almost all the oil cleaned up, pulled the clam off. Me and my buddy got it off in 35 minutes. My car only has one oil cooler. I inspected the passenger side connections and the front connection looks as if it pulled away 2 millimeters. Maybe that was the next one to go but I will be fixing all of them. I bought some Pex tubing crimps usa 3/4 witch is 23.3 along with the crimp tool. Fits over the stock hose nicely. As for the fittings in the rear, once i drop the underpanel and remove the oil filter do I have room to pull off the fittings or can the sandwich plate be droped down first?? thanks

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
There's room... Much easier to crack the fittings with the plate in place.
If someone would develop a cooler relocation kit I'd be all over it. Hello BOE, Sector ....anybody listening ?

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I would check with a dealer. If you fix it your self and there is motor damage, Lotus may not do anything about the motor. :mad:
I would take this to heart! Let them put it together and check the engine out. THEN you can pull the front clam and do it right. Do not give them a reason to get out of the fix! They need to stand up and take care of us before this unfortunate situation happens to any more of us!!!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts