The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone here is thinking of upgrading to the cup airbox (me likey) i suggest you follow the below advice.

The kit mates an adapter plate to the clean side of the stock air box which then allows for a much larger (almost twice the size) filter to be fitted. The issue is that there is no gasket between the adaptor plate and the factory side of this "hybrid" airbox. I found the exact same kit for a Scion which includes a gasket - not sure why Lotus left it out... bottom line is I tested the seal on this plastic on plastic joint and it leaks like a frat boy after a keg stand. If you have a supercharged Lotus count on losing boost over time as fine dust eats away at the very tight tolerances in the charger.

The solution is to pull the entire airbox out of the car (off the intake) and place a generous bead of GE Silicone II sealant around the entire mating surfaces. Then you reassemble the box as it will be in the car - this compresses the silicone and makes a good bond and strong, permanent seal. Allow the silicone to cure over night. Then reinstall the new airbox into the car and sleep well.

-john.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
thanks for the advice... i've ordered the box, but hasn't come in yet. :up:

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,395 Posts
1) What ^^he^^ asked. Is it that yours just didn't come with it or this is how we will all get them? Or is there a gasket we need to order? This was never mentioned in the 'cup airbox thread'
2) I also ordered one 1st week of June and am still waiting.
3) Lastly - John, I just wanted to say thanks for your presence on Lotustalk - someone with an S240 that is jumping in and modding the car. You are doing all the stuff I can't do because mine is not here yet. ;) I appreciate your threads, thanks!! :up:

·
Registered
466 Posts
I got more technical confirmation from Lotus UK folks today, AFAIK from their engineers, what they have said, the cup airbox kit is a direct plug-n-play replacement for SC cars. So, I'll really like some clarity on this "gasket".

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,395 Posts
If you go back to the cup airbox thread that I mentioned in my last post, there has now been some more discussion on page 3.. mine is finally in the mail - also no gasket. But there are more examples of folks doing what John did.. sealing with RTV etc.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is no gasket in the Lotus kit - here's a link to the Scion kit which uses the same exact parts and method of adapting the airbox:

http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PTR01-21050-90inst.pdf

It appears that there is some sort of screen in the Scion kit which is not present in the Lotus kit. Although i've not seen the Scion kit in person I'd be willing to bet the screen in the parts picture contains the missing gasket that goes between the two halves of the airbox. There is also a curious channel molded into the adapter plate... me thinks the channel looks like an o-ring channel... it's there for a reason.
-john.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
ok I just went ahead and siliconed mine up and clamped it shut as well. This box looks a lot easier to replace filters in than the stocker

1 - 12 of 12 Posts