The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all the doubters on longevity, my Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 battery brought car back to life after winter a few weeks back with a boost needed. I tested it today, and it has gone to battery heaven . As soon as the Tender came off its voltage dropped like a stone. Realize it was purchased in late 2014 so it survived 5.5+ yrs in a automobile it supposedly isn't even designed for... New one already ordered

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for the update. Will you replace it with the same model? I'm wondering if there is anything new on the market now that should be considered?

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same battery reordered Cost much lower thru Shorai on Ebay. It was padded on bottom thick bubble wrap fron tand rear and I built up their padding in layer to wedge it into the opening. I t never budged in all those years.

Reactions: DeltaV

·
Registered
246 Posts
Are you using one of these , or similar, to protect from low voltage?

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Are you using one of these , or similar, to protect from low voltage?

Hopefully not, as the Shorai is lithium-iron, not lithium-ion.

San

·
7,598 Posts
Are you using their balance charger? To balance all the cells. Not just a regular tender.
Great point. I do, and it's saved my Shorai quite a few times from total discharge (probably always my fault). I don't want to jinx mine by saying it's 5+ years old, but even if it gives up the ghost tomorrow I'd buy another one.

I have two other Shorai batteries. One in my Ducati V4S and one in my Yamaha R1M. They don't have parasitic losses so I never use the Shorai charger on them. I would if I took the time to buy the charger wiring and extensions necessary to make it convenient.

San

·
7,598 Posts
The regulator doesn't care what the battery is made from. It still regulates.
It also works as I have found on my lifepo4 battery on my Evora.
I'll side with Shorai's recommended charger/tender/conditioner for their own lithium-iron battery, rather than your recommendation, especially as you recommended a lithium-ion charger. The devil is in the details.

San

·
Registered
246 Posts
Please yourself but it isn't a charger. If you click on the link you will see that it's a regulator that fits in line to protect the battery while it's on the car.
It's also the one that Lotus fits to their production cars along with the SB Lifepo4 battery, but have it your way. Just trying to help.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually I have just used my Deltran Battery Tenders. I have several of them and car is always on one if not being used more than 3 days. Shorai batteries are in my Evora which lasted 5.5yrs and my Miata which is now on year 3. You folks are all correct. If you let it run down the Shorai chargers are better. I just maintain them.
Also Motorcycle battery in an automobile...not complaining!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Actually I have just used my Deltran Battery Tenders. I have several of them and car is always on one if not being used more than 3 days. Shorai batteries are in my Evora which lasted 5.5yrs and my Miata which is now on year 3. You folks are all correct. If you let it run down the Shorai chargers are better. I just maintain them.
Also Motorcycle battery in an automobile...not complaining!
With Lithium Iron packs (and LiIon, LiPo) you have multiple cells.
Every time you discharge the pack there will be a range of cell voltages because not all cells perform the same. A normal tender or alternator will charge all cells to a combined total of 14+V
When you charge the pack each cell wont fully charge (they dont balance each other), so over time that range gets bigger and bigger.

I dont know how the Shorai works but a good battery will have cell protection to something like 2Volts. Since your battery didnt catch fire Id say theyd have cell protection.
So if you have 1 cell that has made it down to 2V but the rest are at 3.5V for example, the battery will turn itself off really quickly.

It definitely doesnt mean the battery is worn out though! You charge that 1 cell back up to meet the others and you are good to go again.

For example I have some cheap chinese Makita knockoff batteries that dont have the balance terminals they should (but they do have cell protection). They last about 6 months before they hardly hold a charge.
I just open them up and charge up the low cell and they are good to go for another 6 months of normal charging.

I would put money on you being able to balance charge it and it would be good for another few years!

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok you got me interested...Is the Shorai charger the best or are there others out there that do the same thing.. $$$????

·
Registered
466 Posts
Ok you got me interested...Is the Shorai charger the best or are there others out there that do the same thing.. $$$????
Good question.
I dont know if its standardized in any way. Your safest bet would be to use the Shorai thats designed for that battery. It looks like they have a standard charger with swapable cables depending on the voltage/cell#.

This one for example is for 12V. Looks like it has 4 cells which makes sense (3.2V ea)

Sharai has the balance port here.

Car/bike Lithium batteries last a lot longer without balancing since they dont get discharged very far. So the voltage range between cells takes a lot longer to spread out.

Im just speculating on if the balance will fix it. Who knows the quality of that low cell now though (if it even has a low cell?). Since its probably been low for a long time that cell would have been dumping at a higher current than the rest.

Its an expensive enough battery to give it a go.
Even if you have a new one you should balance it every so often. Especially if you discharge it more than normal for whatever reason.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I use NOCO genius chargers/maintainers for all my race bikes that all run Shorai batteries. The NOCO units have different modes to charge normal, AGM and Lithium batteries all via one unit.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks folks. Should be an interesting experiment

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ordered one and will let everyone know....for all these years, I haven't had any issues...probably cuz I have always been so fastidious. Would be cool to have a spare...or one to let a car go with ....

·
Illegal Alien
4,999 Posts
Both the Shorai and Super-B, as are most lithium batteries today, are Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo4) which are more thermally stable than the older but lighter -ion based.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well the charger arrived and I hooked it up yesterday. It took hours to do its job till it finally shutoff. Battery tests in the high 14"s We will see how it actually works soon enough.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts