The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dennis at DPCARS.NET just got a 240S Exige ! He will be posting his experiences and analysis as usual. Should be interesting for all. For those unfamiliar with this website, he is the man who has already put a V8 in an atom and might offer a V8 kit for elise/exiges in the future.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
He already had an Elise and didn't like the experience because "going to 7-11 was like having to put a formal tux on." or something like that. Wonder if he has changed his mind.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Actually, he's had two Elises. He got a Sport 190 titled and able to drive on teh street in Oregon back when you could hardly import the cars and then he got one of the first S2s at Park Place.

He loved the Sport 190 and I think felt the S2 was a bit less raw (and weighed more). He liked it, but the man goes through cars like some people go through...women...lol.....I've found him to be honest and informative, with strong opinions, about the cars he owns and drives, and very helpful in answering tech questions.

He indicated he bought the Exige just to keep it for a short period of time.

Dennis is a good dude.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Of course. Just in case (since you posted he was a good dude) I was not inferring he was not. Just curious if he had changed his mind. I did know about his earlier S1. Sadly, I know about all his cars. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I for one would not look forward to a V8 in an elise/exige. Im all for more hp but thats too much weight and torque for the chassis. More cylinders isnt better in this situation.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
... He got a Sport 190 titled and able to drive on teh street in Oregon back when you could hardly import the cars ...
Just to clarify for all those who keep thinking they can import an Elise and "make it street legal". His Sport 190 was legally imported "for track use only". In Oregon, you can get a restricted registration that allows you to drive the car a limited number of miles to and from a track or show...only. You can do a similar thing in CA on a day by day basis. Neither makes the car "street legal" in the sense that everybody wants.

·
Registered
840 Posts
That's correct (on the street legality of an S1 or S190) and I should have been clearer.

Geno, the very small displacement V8 he is using probably weighs the same or less than the Toyota 4 banger. It's motorcycle based, small and lightweight. It's still a hybrid beeyotch and may not work, but I wouldn't count it out yet.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
The 2ZZ is listed as 115 Kg dry weight (253 lbs.) and the Hartley V8 is listed as 200 lbs. I expect this is not an apples-to-apples weight comparison regarding what all is included in each of those weights, but it is not like stuffing a big V8 in there ala the GT1. The cost of the engine is another story. :crazyeyes

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Just to clarify for all those who keep thinking they can import an Elise and "make it street legal". His Sport 190 was legally imported "for track use only". In Oregon, you can get a restricted registration that allows you to drive the car a limited number of miles to and from a track or show...only.
If this is the person I am thinking of, yes - he had to go to the DMV (and stand in line, etc.) every time he wanted to drive the car and get (and pay for) a temporary permit (I seem to remember that it was good for three days). A LOT of hassle to drive the car every now and then.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
www.dpcars.net

I have the site bookmarked and check it once a month or so. I live vicariously through Dennis's work on the DP1.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Keebler is most certainly taking his sweet, sweet, time on that DP-1 amigo!

www.dpcars.net

I have the site bookmarked and check it once a month or so. I live vicariously through Dennis's work on the DP1.
Don't know if I'd be that thrilled if I had a deposit down and I saw the Exige purchase. :rolleyes:

Then again, I fully realize that the Elf.... has never taken a business class in his life. :p

Love to see something coming out of the backdoor of that verkshop soon.

:D

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I've been watching that site for the past 5 years at least!
Very interesting guy, likes cars and travel. Partly inspired me to get my Exige, due to his catchphrase. "Eventually a time came when I decided to stop wondering and start doing...."

So I did... :)
Thanks DP.
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
That's all well and good amigo......

I've been watching that site for the past 5 years at least!

Very interesting guy, likes cars and travel. Partly inspired me to get my Exige, due to his catchphrase. "Eventually a time came when I decided to stop wondering and start doing...."
.... but how long should a customer have to wait for their wunder car while Keebler takes side excursions buying $60,000 vehicles? :confused:

Then again it appears he finally got a girlfriend... and we all know how THAT can suck away your time.

rotfl

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Do you have some reason to think the Exige was purchased with money taken from the "DP1 deposit account?" The guy obviously has a reasonably decent earned income.

xtn

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Never said that nor implied that amigo!

Do you have some reason to think the Exige was purchased with money taken from the "DP1 deposit account?" The guy obviously has a reasonably decent earned income.
My point is that it's odd that time and monies are being expended elsewhere instead of concentrating on getting the thang kicked out of the backdoor. ;)

Don't you think?

:shrug:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts