The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- Their only interest is in their son/daughter, and they always side with them

- Because they always side with their son/daughter, it makes arguing impossible because your husband/wife has someone reinforcing their ideas

- You can't fight back because it will upset your wife/husband and cause a family feud for years to come, and any family gathering will become very uncomfortable

- They always end up involving themselves in your personal matters because they know you can't say anything back

- They always expect **** from YOU instead of their own daughter/son

- They have double standards for you and expect more from you than their own perfect little angel

I guess it seems like common sense, but all this just dawned on me the other day. No I'm not married and I'm already feeling the pain. Discuss or add onto the list.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Just a bit of advise, unsolicited of course, keep your arguments between you and your spouse. Keep both sets of parents out of it completely. You also need a spouse that will back you up on the "keep out of our personal affairs unless we ask for your help/advise/input."

My in-laws have always been very decent towards me. Perhaps because my father-in-law and I share professions. Perhaps because they love their daughter enough to treat her husband with respect. Perhaps I'm just lucky. Or least likely of all, perhaps I deserve it :p.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
My inlaws don't speak English, nor do they live in this country, but they seem to like me :shrug:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Jut remember that to your in-laws you are no way good enough to have married their son/daughter and they could have done a lot better.

It doesn't matter if you are a road sweeper, a surgeon, a traffic policeman or a lawyer... they could have done a hell of a lot better and the in-laws will resent you for the rest of your life.

HTH

:D

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Just a bit of advise, unsolicited of course, keep your arguments between you and your spouse. Keep both sets of parents out of it completely. You also need a spouse that will back you up on the "keep out of our personal affairs unless we ask for your help/advise/input."

My in-laws have always been very decent towards me. Perhaps because my father-in-law and I share professions. Perhaps because they love their daughter enough to treat her husband with respect. Perhaps I'm just lucky. Or least likely of all, perhaps I deserve it :p.
:D

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I have no complaints with my in-laws. They're not all bad.

·
Registered
691 Posts

+1 Keep your spousal issues between you and the wifey exclusively.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
My in-laws were AWFUL to me for many, many year. Over the last few years we actually started getting along. And now my ex and I are divorcing, of course. LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
My in-laws are stupid, self-absorbed a##holes that treat my wife as poorly as they do anyone else. From them I have learned that you can be the biggest jerk on the planet and your child will still love you. As for me, I keep my mouth shut and silently count the days until they die, hopefully in pain.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
My parents love my wife and my brother's wife. So much so, my mother has said on more than one occasion, "If you guys ever divorce them, we're keeping the girls and getting rid of you."

My in-laws treated me like a member of the family from the day I married their daughter. Before we married, my soon-to-be father-in-law took me aside and reminded me, "When you marry her, you get all of us...for better or worse." Sadly, they have both passed-I just returned from my mother-in-law's funeral today.

If your in-laws-to-be aren't treating you like a member of the family (for better or worse), you don't want to be in that family. One of the real joys of a happy marriage is extending your family.

Tom

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My in-laws are stupid, self-absorbed a##holes that treat my wife as poorly as they do anyone else. From them I have learned that you can be the biggest jerk on the planet and your child will still love you. As for me, I keep my mouth shut and silently count the days until they die, hopefully in pain.

Jesus...That's some strong sh^t!!! :eek:

My parents love my wife and my brother's wife. So much so, my mother has said on more than one occasion, "If you guys ever divorce them, we're keeping the girls and getting rid of you."

My in-laws treated me like a member of the family from the day I married their daughter. Before we married, my soon-to-be father-in-law took me aside and reminded me, "When you marry her, you get all of us...for better or worse." Sadly, they have both passed-I just returned from my mother-in-law's funeral today.

If your in-laws-to-be aren't treating you like a member of the family (for better or worse), you don't want to be in that family. One of the real joys of a happy marriage is extending your family.

Tom

That's great to hear. Hopefully mine will turn out that way :)

·
Banned
874 Posts
Inlaws are dead........ O YEA!!

Nah, im just joking. Hope my wife doesn't see this or I'll be :crazyeyes:eek::huh:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts