The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
F-16 Co-Designer Claims F-22’s GLUES Causing Hypoxia

This is interesting, A-10 Warthog father, F-16 Viper co-designer and longtime F-35 Joint Strike Fighter hater, Pierre Sprey has come out saying that the glues used to fasten F-22 Raptor’s stealth coatings to the aircraft’s skin are responsible for the spate of hypoxia-like symptoms suffered by its pilots (it’s getting so bad that we can almost say that Raptor jocks routinely suffer hypoxia).

Gen. Janet Wolfenbarger, chief of Air Force Materiel Command said when the F-22 reaches speeds above Mach 1.6, which is about 1,200 miles and hour at sea level( YES....I DO DRIVE THAT FAST!!), the adhesive sets off gases that can cause the same symptoms of dizziness that have plagued the F-22 pilots. When the F-22 is in for repairs to its “stealth coating,” the adhesive is re-spread across the plane

According to Sprey, the pilot is exposed to diisocyanates, which are found within the polyurethane glues that comprise the stealth coatings, at a number of times because the adhesives are reapplied in the upkeep of the plane. Sprey said diisocyanates are well known as an industrial hazard that can cause both severe lung and neurologic problems.

So much for Lotus bonding technology......but, I'm a happy guy because of those adhesives...

Read more: http://defensetech.org/2012/06/21/f-16-co-designer-claims-f-22s-glues-causing-hypoxia/#ixzz1ySwTZmBa
Defense.org

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I'm convinced I was on my to 1200 mph in my Lotus.

Problem was on the way there I hit 88 mph and went back to the 50s :(

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
The article glebur refers to says that F-22 pilots are exposed to dangerous chemicals (diisocyanates) when an external coating that includes polyurethane adhesive is oxidized due to air friction at Mach 1.6. The glue holding a Lotus together appears to be a one-part heat-cured epoxy (likeDow Automotive Betamate 4601) and it may or may not contain isocyanate hardener (just one of several types of hardener).

The moral of the story is that if your Lotus is burning, keep calm and exit the vehicle in an orderly fashion. This action will assist you in not breathing gasses that may contain isocyanates or their combustion products...

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
What a stupid thread.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gentlemen..............

The article glebur refers to says that F-22 pilots are exposed to dangerous chemicals (diisocyanates) when an external coating that includes polyurethane adhesive is oxidized due to air friction at Mach 1.6. The glue holding a Lotus together appears to be a one-part heat-cured epoxy (likeDow Automotive Betamate 4601) and it may or may not contain isocyanate hardener (just one of several types of hardener).

The moral of the story is that if your Lotus is burning, keep calm and exit the vehicle in an orderly fashion. This action will assist you in not breathing gasses that may contain isocyanates or their combustion products...

Since I started this thread, kindly allow me to comment

Having a military background, I have been following the problems faced by the most hi-tech aircraft in the world. When it was revealed that this 250 million dollar aircraft's problems where perhaps linked to bonding adhesive, I naturally thought of our Lotus, which use a similar technology to bond, rather than weld our cars. Apparently, my attempt at some humor was taken seriously by some readers. While our vehicles are fast....they don't do 1,200 mph. Nor does Lotus have access to Stealth bonding materials, as is very evident by the number of speeding tickets that I have accumulated. If the subtleness of my humor failed to impress you, let me know...as I skim over an Exige on the track in my Apache Attack Helicopter trying to get laser lock.......
At least I tried to be entertaining. :) My apologies to those who did not appreciate my observations.

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
At least I tried to be entertaining. :)
Well I appreciated your humor and attempted to add some info by linking to the Dow product.

On a more serious note, I work F-22s every day. I wish every pilot could come home safe, but one of my neighbors died in an F-22 mishap while talking to a coworker. The pilot died - most likely - from hypoxia, but the AF had the gall to blame the pilot for failing to maintain consciousness. While the author that cites the polyurethane glue is probably barking up the wrong tree, public attention and the force of Congress is likely the only thing that will get this problem fixed.

Glen

·
Registered
708 Posts
So last weekend, when I thought I smelled a little oil, I was incorrect in thinking that the front oil cooler line was starting to leak? It was just the superglue that holds the car together?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts