The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How would you have spec'ed out the car differently (if anything)?

Touring Package
---------------------
For $1350, I'm not sure if the Touring Package is worth it.
- The only thing that I really like about it is the electric window.
- The head unit (not sure how the regular one is) is kinda flimsy. You press a button and the whole face moves a bit. The stereo stinks anyway, so it's almost like why bother? I usually don't even have it on.
- The extra carpets...big deal.
- Sound/Thermal insulation. Does a standard car get any hotter inside?
- Full leather seats. They're ok. I'm not a big fan of the head rest area. Are these seats compatible with harnesses (I know modifications would need to be made) or maybe I would just get Motorsport seats from Lotus....

Hardtop
--------
- Haha...I know I should have ordered this..doh! Is it true that Lotus wants something over $2000 for a new/unpainted one?

Sport Package
------------------
I'm kinda on the fence about this one. The stock wheels have grown on me, but of course, the lower unsprung weight of the LSS wheels are attractive and I wouldn't mind wider wheels in the front as well. In terms of spring rates, you can source off the shelf Eibach Race Springs (I think you can...). As far as dampeners, there have been a few discussions about this and if there was an adjustable (valving and height) solution, I would probably go with that. So is it worth almost $2500? How are the SSR weights compared to the LSS ones? Also, any experience with LSS wheels with big potholes? I have a friend with a E46M3 wtih SSR Competitions and he has bent 10 of them...doh! This is a subject of much debate because others say these are as strong a wheel as they have ever seen, etc. BTW, his size is 18x9.5 or so...I know they have a Comp-H or something like that now.

Starshield
------------
- I like how it wraps around in some places
- I don't like the orange peel
- Prep work could have been better

Color
------
I have Nightfall blue, but after seeing other colors, I think my heart lies elsewhere. Other colors I'm thinking about are Saffron, Storm Titanium, Chrome Orange, Graphite Gray, or Laser Blue.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
re: SSR comps bending: your friend's M3 weighs a lot more and likely has lower profile tires (considering he's running 18's). I think those two factors play a big role in bending rims.

can't comment on the rest... 21 months and counting.. still waiting. :p

·
Registered
409 Posts
ekological said:

Touring Package
---------------------
For $1350, I'm not sure if the Touring Package is worth it.
- The only thing that I really like about it is the electric window.
- The head unit (not sure how the regular one is) is kinda flimsy. You press a button and the whole face moves a bit. The stereo stinks anyway, so it's almost like why bother? I usually don't even have it on.
- The extra carpets...big deal.
- Sound/Thermal insulation. Does a standard car get any hotter inside?
- Full leather seats. They're ok. I'm not a big fan of the head rest area. Are these seats compatible with harnesses (I know modifications would need to be made) or maybe I would just get Motorsport seats from Lotus....

- windows - if it would have saved $500, I wouldn't bother. the car is pretty narrow.
- head unit - I think the upgrade adds MP3. Maybe someone can confirm this.
- extra carpets - there aren't any on the base model, right? Better for barefoot driving :)
- sound / thermal insulation - probably helps cut on noise and temperature on long trips during the winter or very hot summer weather, so I checked this.
- full leather seats - don't need them, but for $1350 they're cheaper than most leather packages.

All in all, I think if I sold the car two years from now to a non-enthusiast, I'd have an easier time and easily earn back the $1350 expenditure.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I don't have my car yet, but I've 'locked in' my order so I am certainly able to second guess. The following is just MY thought process:

LSS Pros: I drove both cars and prefered the LSS suspension. It was important to me that the car be a bit more neutral, and the the wider fronts helped with this. I like the reduction in unsprung weight. I also wanted the more agressive rubber. Asthetically I liked the looks of the LSS wheels.

LSS Cons: The only real negative in my book is cost. I was concerned with the lower ride height, but I drove both around downtown Birmingham, MI. I drove in and out of parking lots and over little speed bumps and was never aware of the reduction in ride height from a 'paranoid about bottoming out' point of view.

Touring Pros: Leather seats. The important part about that to me is that it allows you to choose an interior color. Better stereo. "Better" is relative, but it does play .mp3's, which I like. I think the stereo looks better too. Electric windows, which are a nice convenience feature and supposedly don't rattle (as the manual windows were rumored to). Extra carpet and insulation (see below).

Touring Cons: I didn't want the extra carpet and insulation. I want this car to be lighter, not heavier. I don't perceive the extra insulation to be a real benefit. It's still noisey... Cost. This car is at the very edge of my budget as it stands.

Hardtop Pros: Possibly better reception at track days. A bit of all-season practicality?

Hardtop Cons: Cost. Not trivial to fix and remove. Doesn't store in the car.

Starshield Pros: Stops stone chips (some).

Starshield Cons: Doesn't look really nice. $1000 is a lot to pay for some Saran rap.

In the end I ordered the car with Touring (I really want the Biscuit interior), LSS, and StarShield. I wasn't going to get Starshield, but looking at several cars that had a few miles on them convinced me that it was a good purchase.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Well I don't have mine yet either, my order is CO/HT/LSS. It will be a fair weather daily driver, AX and track car. I didnt want the added weight of touring, I 'll probably replace the seats with lighter ones anyway. After what seemed like a long wait at the time, we managed to get Lotus to supply Chrome Orange as an option, so there is no way I would chose another colour. LSS may not be stiff enough but it was worth it for a starting point and the wheels. I like the look of the hardtop and it will be required to play at some tracks. So I think I chose "wisely". My only regret was not placing multiple orders and actually purchasing 2 cars. When the car is reworked to fully comply with US regulations it will be heavier leaving the current Elise as truly a limited edition.
Well maybe Radical will make a US street legal version one day :cool:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If I had to do it over, I personally would order a plain car plus starshield and nothing else. No touring, No LSS and no hardtop. Carpets, MP3, electric windows couldn't care less.

Regarding the color, I like NFB better every day, I just came from looking at the same time at SY, GG, ST, AR and Magnetic Blue and I still like NFB better than al of those. Magnetic and Starlight black would be other options for me but all of the colors really do look good.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
If I had to do it again, I would have order LSS due solely to getting the Lotus sport wheels. It'll be cheaper for me to convert it to LSS with SSRs, but I'll never have the Lotus sports and I wish I had them.

I'd keep the touring for the quieter ride and windows, and nix the hardtop. But that's easy to say since I haven't used it yet; I may change my mind this winter. The soft top fits and looks much better than I anticipated. And it is leak-free 100%.

Starshield-a keeper. big time keeper. I travel on some gravel roads, and it has save my paint.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Re: Re: Now that you have your car...

rob said:
- head unit - I think the upgrade adds MP3.<...>
- extra carpets - there aren't any on the base model, right? <...>
- sound / thermal insulation - probably helps cut on noise and temperature on long trips during the winter or very hot summer weather, so I checked this.
The Touring Package radio can play MP3 CDs... (and memory cards, but they are way too expensive compared to CDs). I almost always just listen to the radio, so I don't miss this feature.

The base model has carpet/floor mats. The Touring package adds more carpeting on the sides of the frame/sills and possibly under the seats.

As for insulation, I haven't noticed any excessive heat in my base model - the frame/sills remain ambient temperature.

I haven't noticed any rattles from my manual windows.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I would keeep the touring, starshield and hard top. The only thing I might change is color - there are just too many yellows out there!!!:D I did not get LSS but at some point, I plan on changing to lighter wheels - as I understand it the SSRs are not available in the non-LSS front size....

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
the mp3 cd capability is wonderful, glad you guys on the board hooked me up as I had no idea how it worked, getting 6-8 hours music on one disc is great for long trips
Chris

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
What car??

Oh... you mean the one that was supposedly built about 2 months ago and is now pretty much missing in action? :p

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Very happy with the color, Saffron Yellow. Truly though, I think I would have been happy with any color I have seen, specially Chrome Orange or Nightfall Blue. But I was concerned I would maybe not love SY and I do really love it.

If I had to do it again, I would have NOT ordered TOURING. I would have upgraded the stereo to play MP3s. I would install the cargo net, because it's cool. I don't care about the windows. I don't care about the carpet. I don't care about the insulation. I would rather not have the weight. I bought Touring because of the seats, and the production cloth seats ended up looking very good.

I might have bought a hardtop. I have mixed feelings about this, but after having owned the car, I think I would like to try owning it with a top on it.

I am happy with the Starshield. Having now driven 3800 miles, I think it was a good idea.

The difficult call for me is the Sport Package. I like the Sport rims and to buy them afterwards is too expensive. But I am going to replace almost everything else that is considered Sport. Nice to get the car already with the A048s and Sport Rims...and I can sell the Sport shocks to someone looking to upgrade and not as serious a racer. This one is a toss up.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,103 Posts
I woulda/shoulda deleted the Touring Pack. LSS and hardtop were must haves. CO has become so popular (who would have thought?) that I wished I ordered KG (right on MikeAR303!) Oh well, I'm sure I can learn to live with CO...;)

The Sport Pack is a great value simply for the wheels alone.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I ordered touring for the red leather and would have otherwise upgraded the stereo. Having had a chance to examine all of the colors more closely, I probably would have picked graphite over storm titanium and deleted the touring package (not sure how good red looks with it). Besides, if I later get aftermarket seats, the touring package will have gone to waste.

I'm not convinced the added insulation of the touring package does much.

- J

After driving the standard suspension for a bit, I would probably buy some parts off of upgraders like Randy or Robert...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts