The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I already posted that I made and error on a previous post about how to do the headlight adjust...this time I walked thru the whole process from beginning to end (no big deal but I now know that the process works). I could not relate what was in the car manual graphics with what I was seeing in the wheel well until I really began to look...and sure all was there :rolleyes: Here is the process:
-First YES you can remove the front wheel well liner access without removing the front wheels...just turn wheels hard in each direction and with a stubby phillips head screw driver you can remove the three screws holding front access panel and then taking bottom of panel pull out and down and it comes right off.

Now with panel off you will see (look carefully for top one since it is paritially blocked by the wheel well liner that is not removed) three allen head screws...in this pic they are marked with a --> in red...remove these (8 mm allen head)

Once removed (the top one has a washer so make sure that goes back there in the reinstall) the headlight clear cover wiggles right off and exposes this>>>

You will see a couple things...how easy it will be to change bulbs out to Hyper White types and the adjusting screws to adjust headlight aim ... also these lights (low beam) come with shutters that can clip light beam...in this pic it is the straight line directly behind the large focusing lens of the low beam...there is a lever you can move up and down which 'shutters' the light beam...

Well I adjusted the aim and shutters and got a much improve light pattern... in all it took about 30 minutes to do both headlights...

When reinstalling the headlight covers (thus tightening the 3 allen head screws) be gentle...no need to over torque

Anyway...now have shown the correct method of accessing headlights for adjusts and bulb replacement...

·
Registered
970 Posts
So Michael, is there a place to mount the ballast if one was to do a HID retrofit???...box is about 4X4X2(height) inches.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...I really enjoy doing this sort of stuff>>>

and the Elise is a real delight to work on...and oh yes...drive :D And yes there is room for a power pac for the HIDs...in first pic showing wheel well area..see area above oil cooler (there is a loop of the wiring harness for the headlight there)...good spot and it is protected by the front access panel (removed in pic) of the wheel well...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yes this is a great service, thanks for taking the time to post it. It would be great if we had a separate area on the forum where all these types of write ups could be placed so they could be easily found when needed. A kinda technical DIY section with links to all the different writups submitted. Maybe after Randy is finished with Topeka we could ask him :)

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
thanks for your work!

let us know if you get any condensation in your headlights! LOL

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should not be an issue..condensation...

shay2nak said:
thanks for your work!

let us know if you get any condensation in your headlights! LOL
See the large hole at front of headlight site...that relates to a hole in the lens so it is ventilated.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
YELOTUS said:
also these lights (low beam) come with shutters that can clip light beam...in this pic it is the straight line directly behind the large focusing lens of the low beam...there is a lever you can move up and down which 'shutters' the light beam...
Correct. This is used for LHD (european) cars to be used when driving in RHD (eg. UK) countries.

It reoves the 'flare' on the light pattern that would blind oncoming drivers if you were to drive a continental car on the left side of the road.

As the headlights are basically un-modified in the Fed version you still have these.

You'll use these if you were to take your car to Japan or somesuch place where they drive on the left. Otherwise it's not meant to be used.

Edited to say: Of course UK S2 elises have the same for use when driving in europe..

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Allright,

Last night I replaced the headlight bulbs and adjusted them but have a small problem, after I put the cover back on, the RH high beam was lower ( it had nived), I'm thinking the cover is pushing against the high beam housing. any suggestions?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Michael, do ypu have any pics of the adapters that directly attach to low beam bulbs itself???...is it the standard looking one?...just seeing if it will plug into a ballast w/out having to do any modification.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Thanks for the great instructions and pics YELO. I pulled things apart and adjusted my driver's side up today.

I was a little confused about the adjustment screws though. As seen in your pictures, the upper-left (all directions I'm using are when facing the headlight) and lower-right are extended and have a cap-head nut on them, presumably to facilitate adjustment, but the upper-right and lower-left don't extend much past the housing, making it appear that you're not supposed to use the for adjustment. I used the upper-left to bring it up to even with the passenger-side light, but that of course pulled it to the center of the car by quite a bit. So, I used a screwdriver to turn the upper-right to bring it back over to where it originally was. I'm not sure if I understand why they would have designed it like that.

I went out and check them after it got dork this evening and they seem about perfect. I'm honestly surprised at the light output from these lights. My last few cars have had Zenon's, so any time that I drive a car without them it feels like I can't see anything. The Elise's lights seem perfectly fine to me as they are. They aren't a white light, but they are plenty bright and throw the light down the road nicely.

Thanks again,

--Josh

·
Registered
212 Posts
Careful with the center screw...

NtflBlueLiz said:
Allright,

Last night I replaced the headlight bulbs and adjusted them but have a small problem, after I put the cover back on, the RH high beam was lower ( it had nived), I'm thinking the cover is pushing against the high beam housing. any suggestions?
When you reinstall the headlight cover, you must be careful not to over-tighten the screw that is in the middle of the three. If you look, it is the only of the three screws that goes through the metal headlight assembly. When reassembling the cover, turn on the headlights and watch as you tighten the center one. Tighten until the light just dips and then back off until the beam is in the correct position again. If the screw seem too loose, then measure the amount of dip you get when the screw is as tight as you wnat it, and then just align it that much higher than the other in the first place. Then tighten to bring it down on assembly. I had the same problem... took me a bit to figure it out.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Headlight adjustments

Took my car to the dealer (Rothrock) yesterday to have my 1000 mile service done. While I was there I asked if they would adjust my headlights because they were aiming straight into the ground. The Lotus tech that did my 1000 mile service said that "the headlights on these car are not adjustable and there is nothing I can do." "We are telling people to install the driving lights to fix the problem." I told him that they were adjustable and he just argued that they were not. That will be the last time Rothrock ever sees me. I wonder what else they are that ignorant about. I guess I'll just have to adjust those non-adjustable headlights myself. Thank God for these forums. Without all this good info I'd be pretty upset.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
pig said:
The Lotus tech that did my 1000 mile service said that "the headlights on these car are not adjustable and there is nothing I can do." "We are telling people to install the driving lights to fix the problem." I told him that they were adjustable and he just argued that they were not.
No need to argue, just ask to see his Lotus Elise Service Manual.

He does have one, right? Hmm.. maybe not.. You should bring your own to show him Page 21 of MP: "Headlamp Beam Alignment"

Just goes to show, it really does matter where you take your car for service.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
pig said:
Took my car to the dealer (Rothrock) yesterday to have my 1000 mile service done. While I was there I asked if they would adjust my headlights because they were aiming straight into the ground. The Lotus tech that did my 1000 mile service said that "the headlights on these car are not adjustable and there is nothing I can do." "We are telling people to install the driving lights to fix the problem." I told him that they were adjustable and he just argued that they were not. That will be the last time Rothrock ever sees me. I wonder what else they are that ignorant about. I guess I'll just have to adjust those non-adjustable headlights myself. Thank God for these forums. Without all this good info I'd be pretty upset.
Was this the mechanic/tech or the service writer? If the latter, then ask to talk to the service manager. If it was the former, drive away at a very rapid but safe pace. If the manager told you this, then time to call Lotus US and get their service license revoked. Also call your state auto repair bureau, the local cops, and TV stations. They love to air stories of consumer fraud.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts