The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just received my NuKey and I love the overall size, weight, etc. It's definitely smaller and noticeably lighter compared to the BWR key.

Now where I'm on the fence is that I'm not too keen on the plastic finish. (see post #710 The Official Unikey2 - NuKey Group Buy Thread on BritishSpeed - Page 36). The pictures below look worse than the actual NuKey because of the picture size, glare and I used a wide angle lens. Also, the NuKey slightly impacted my range compared to my BWR key. Yes, I have done the antenna extension mod.

Update - Randy just send me the new plastic pieces that look great. See post 8 for a pic. It's my understanding this is how the future keys will be shipped. Many thanks for Randy's excellent service!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
As per the other thread, we are having new plastic parts made because the mold house did not follow the drawings. These will be sent out to any one that wants to replace the plastics. Which is very easy to do.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I liked the one I got, but I realized that you have to buy a transponder to put into it... another ~$100 (ouch!)

I was buying the key so I had a spare key/transponder.

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
I purchased a couple Nukeys and have a couple of the old BWR keys. The casing revision on the Nukey sealed the deal. It's a very nice part now. Randy shipped the revised plastic case for both keys I had purchased earlier without me asking. It's rare that you get a part revision in the mail without asking for it :up:

I really doubt Randy makes much $$ on these and yet they seem like an OEM part with great service to go with. Putting this part on the highly recommended list :up:

Phil

·
Registered
913 Posts
I agree with Phil; Randy does really take care of the customer & does it proactively. His diligence to communicate & work with people is excellent. His key design is well made.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I got my Nukey today and I'm extremely happy with it. My pockets are even happier!

The locksmith down the road charged me $10 to cut the blank, saying that it was a harder metal than the normal keys so would wear their machine. I'm not sure if I got ripped off, or not, but I'm happy if the key is tougher than the generic kind.

What's strange is there are now two in the small town of San Carlos, given that the OP is here too!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Piling on, while the original plastic finish was a bit different, I didn't expect to receive new plastics, unsolicited. The one's are really nice. Kudos to Randy for sending them on his own.

And my local locksmith only charged three bucks FWIW to cut the blank. Homecenter stores couldn't do it, they can't do anything anymore that doesn't fit one of their idiot-proof cartridge systems, and the local hardware store refused to cut a blank that wasn't theirs.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Thanks for the nice words.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've had mine for a few weeks now and it's annoying as hell.... I can't just reach into my pocket and grab two big hunks of plastic and know I have the right keys :wallbang: I actually need to feel for something the size of a regular key to unlock my doors :panic:

For those of you that did not read into the sarcasm, THIS THING IS AWESOME :cool:

:bow: Great product Randy :bow:

·
Registered
719 Posts
My local Ace only charged me 75 cents to machine the blank. Ten bucks? Yikes.

It's an awesome key, and with the new plastic, looks great. Incredibly light, too.

·
Registered
623 Posts
My local Ace only charged me 75 cents to machine the blank. Ten bucks? Yikes.

It's an awesome key, and with the new plastic, looks great. Incredibly light, too.
Ten bucks is better, as now my wallet is lighter too!

:nanner:

·
Registered
719 Posts
You bring your wallet when you drive? Unnecessary weight. Next you'll be telling us you wear shoes, too. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts