The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where might I find - or would anyone know - an estimate or actual number of Elises/Exiges sold in the US to date?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Someones gonna say it, so it might as well be me:

"You can find it by using the SEARCH function"

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
An additional defense:

This # is always changing and perhaps he is wanting a quarterly or monthy total, not just "sold as of jan1, 07"

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
This same question was posted yesterday or the day before by one of the salesmen at Euroclassics and I don't think he got a nice response or a good answer either.

You might try contacting Lotus USA in Atlanta. Contact info can be found at www.lotuscars.com. Just say Lotus when you email or call them, not Loti, as Lotus is the singular and plural all wrapped up in one -- keeps things lighter, which is a very important part of the car. :D. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Number of Loti in US?
Just to pick an additional nit...

There is no such thing as a "Loti" - the plural of Lotus is "Lotus". If that is awkward, then use "Lotus cars" ("Number of Lotus cars in US.)

Now, along with that, believe it or not, there were Lotus prior to the Elise and Exige. For instance Lotus made nearaly 10,000 Elans and nearly that many Europas - probably half of those made it to the US. Then there is the Esprits, M100 Elans, Eclats, Excels, Elites (old and new), etc.

There was probably about 2,400 Elises brought to the US for model year '05, and lesser numbers the subsequent years.

Not Chevy, Ford, or even Miata numbers, but quite a few.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, that was a bit stronger response than I expected. I apologize for wasting some of your time and deeply offending you, but then again you didn't need to compose a snarky response if you really had better things to do.

I did try searching but failed to compose search criteria that weren't too general.

I also specified Elise/Exige in the body of my note, but maybe you were too busy being rude to actually read the message.

Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, the "Loti" was intended as humor. Again, I apologize for that terribly gauche breach of etiquette.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Snarky...I love that word :D

And good luck with your research petroboy. You just have to get used to the keyboard warriors around here...they eat their young.

·
Registered
379 Posts
alil'britdifferent, what is the search criteria you would use to find the answer?

I typed in "lotus sold in the us" ... It searched the word "sold" and excluded all the other words, it came up with 999 matches, most of which having multiple pages of replies. The search feature isn't the greatest so far as I can tell, unless I am not using it to its potential... which also brings up another point, is there a guide out there for the search algorithm or general tips.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Well, that was a bit stronger response than I expected. I apologize for wasting some of your time and deeply offending you, but then again you didn't need to compose a snarky response if you really had better things to do.

I did try searching but failed to compose search criteria that weren't too general.

I also specified Elise/Exige in the body of my note, but maybe you were too busy being rude to actually read the message.

Thanks anyway.
I wasn't trying to be snarky :shrug:. I was trying to be helpful. If you want a real answer, call or email Lotus USA. If you don't, then don't.

Also, the "Loti" was intended as humor. Again, I apologize for that terribly gauche breach of etiquette.
I was also trying to be helpful here as well and I think Tim was also. No terribly gauche breach of etiquette to apologize for IMO. Just know if you use Loti you will be flogged in the future now that you have been warned ;).

Remember as you frequent this or any other internet forum, vocal intonation and inflection, which gives much more meaning than many realize to verbal communication, is absent. Therefore, subtle humor such as "Loti" is often not understood as intended AND not all posts that "read" nasty are meant nasty (as in if you heard the poster say it it may not sound so bad). Now the first response in this thread was just plain nasty. Forums certainly can thicken your skin...

Again, try contacting Lotus USA. If anyone can give you an accurate answer it will be them.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
alil'britdifferent, what is the search criteria you would use to find the answer?

I typed in "lotus sold in the us" ... It searched the word "sold" and excluded all the other words, it came up with 999 matches, most of which having multiple pages of replies. The search feature isn't the greatest so far as I can tell, unless I am not using it to its potential... which also brings up another point, is there a guide out there for the search algorithm or general tips.
The guide for the searching is Ace10 ;). Otherwise it is hit or miss. The search isn't the greatest but it will yield adequate results if used to its fullest. Give up on the little pull down box. Click on the arrow next to "Search," then click "Advanced Search." This gives many more options to narrow your looking. The use of the * will also help in many cases. Words shorter than 3 letters are excluded, such as oil. So in order to search about oil, use oil*. Many words are excluded no matter what, like Lotus. Just brings up too many hits. Also, searching "titles only" instead of "entire posts" will cut back the number of hits you get. I still s*ck at the search function after a year of using it... but then again I still s*ck at most things :D,

·
Registered
256 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hey Petroboy, don't sweat the first reply. I think some of the locals are getting restless since winter is keeping them away from driving. The same thing happens on motorcycle lists at about this time. ;)

Last I heard, there were something like 300 Exige S for MY2007. I believe it was a similar if not smaller number for non-S Exiges for MY2006. Elises? I don't know. Of course, even the published Lotus Corp numbers are the subject of debate. I believe the accountants in Hethel also believe in the "add lightness" mantra, so they don't write everything down. That makes the books lighter. Afterall, it's a well known fact that the Elise was given the model number 111 by the accountants because it takes less ink (e.g. less weight) to write a "1" compared to all of those other numbers with showy and otherwise non-functional curves. I mean have you seen the size of an "8" recently?!? Those things are huge. :D

In all seriousness, if you do get an answer from Lotus or somewhere, please let us know. Welcome to the list, BTW.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You're not a lawyer, are you jeremiah?rotfl

An additional defense:

This # is always changing and perhaps he is wanting a quarterly or monthy total, not just "sold as of jan1, 07"

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I found this using the search function, but I knew adequate search terms because I remembered reading the post and knew it was about the number of registrations. While this doesn't exactly equate to the number manufactured or the number sold, it may be close enough to answer your question.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=904226&postcount=8

1 - 20 of 21 Posts