The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
How about total 2006 Exige in 2006 ;)

I tried the search method also... and google... couldnt find poop.

·
Registered
431 Posts
How about total 2006 Exige in 2006 ;)

I tried the search method also... and google... couldnt find poop.
If I remember correct, LCU brought in about 320-350 N/A '06 Exiges and as far as N/A '08 Elise...well the factory really didn't produce much and if I had to guess, I'd say about 100 or less....I'm thinking less.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
If I remember correct, LCU brought in about 320-350 N/A '06 Exiges and as far as N/A '08 Elise...well the factory really didn't produce much and if I had to guess, I'd say about 100 or less....I'm thinking less.
Indeed. The new Lotus market has almost receded to the Esprit V8 levels, I think.

The hot market now are people trying to get into used Lotus for under $30K. They all advertise that they want an immaculate (paint, interior), low mileage (under 10K), paint virtually perfect, no track days, star shield, hard top, sport, touring for under $30K. Oh yeah...they have specific color options, and want it relatively local.

In other words, they want an 05 that was put in a bubble when purchased, and want it for $28K or so. And they want it (often) in a color that wasn't available in 05, and want it next door.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Less than 300 2006 Exiges were registered for road use in the U.S. (I think it was 295).

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Indeed. The new Lotus market has almost receded to the Esprit V8 levels, I think.

The hot market now are people trying to get into used Lotus for under $30K. They all advertise that they want an immaculate (paint, interior), low mileage (under 10K), paint virtually perfect, no track days, star shield, hard top, sport, touring for under $30K. Oh yeah...they have specific color options, and want it relatively local.

In other words, they want an 05 that was put in a bubble when purchased, and want it for $28K or so. And they want it (often) in a color that wasn't available in 05, and want it next door.
So very true...but lots of people on this very board drive that sort of mentality by advertising exactly what they paid at the dealer and/or saying "you can get that for 10k below such and such". I read something here from one of the dealers who stated it clearly. We are self-defeating when we do that, as it lowers our resale values across the board.

·
Registered
431 Posts

Keep in mind that I'm only talking about the N/A '08 Elise while the S/C Elise and the S240 Exige are doing well for dealers but part of that is due to low production for MY08's.

What someone advertises here on LT is far different from what dealers are selling for. I know most dealers can't wait to get their hands on a pre-owned Lotus and if it's an '05, they're selling for $31K-$34K with no problems however; there are the exceptions that sell below $30K.

And finally, some the blame of expecting to buy cheap for a mint car is everyone like factory, lcu, dealers and owners who really cheapen the brand by either producing too many (factory), giving too much incentives (lcu), advertising price (dealers) and finally, owners cheap selling...like dealers.

I keep on saying it and truly believe that less is more in terms of production for these car and can definitely help stabalize the market and I believe you're seeing this with MY08's and hope that the factory and lcu continue on this road.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could not see Lotus being able to sell more than a few hundred 2008 N/A Elises. Do you think they will drop it in 2009??

·
Registered
252 Posts
The problem is exactly as stated above. Over produced which means if someone desparately wants to sell theirs, they have to sell for a low ball number. The other thing to consider is Lotus really didn't do a very good job identifying which market they wanted to pursue. What I mean is, they took a very well designed track car and tried to add just enough conveniences to attract the American buyer. How many used Elises are now being sold because some middle aged or older buyer bought the car because it looked cool and thought they could deal with the nuances of the car. Then they get to thinking of all the other conveniences that are available on other performance cars which sell for similar amounts and they change their mind. That's how I got mine and I saved a ton of money on a practically new car. Realistically, our cars are track cars that do a fair job of getting to and from the track. That is THE market Lotus should focus on. From a new car sales perspective, the Radical, Noble, and/or Atom to name a few are the competition in my opinion. Our cars will never sell in any significant volume because of what they are. There comes a time when a company needs to look in the mirror and truly understand what they are. If Lotus wants to sell in volume, they probably need to bring in some outside talent from Honda or Toyota or the likes and focus on a volume oriented/one size fits all product. The English cannot survive in the marketplace with a volume car because it costs way too much to produce anything there. That's why a niche vehicle in the first place. Let's all be realistic, look at a Lotus. Yes I love mine to death but there is absolutely nothing that justifies even the reduced price I paid for mine. There is simply not enough to the car to justify the 40K, 50K, 60K price tag. From a value perspective, the Cup car is probably the best bang for the buck because it already has the things to justify a higher price. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
311 Posts
All i know is that when i was looking for an 08 NA elise, i was told there were almost none in the country. To the point where i had to take one that had been special ordered and canceled. I was looking for red blue or black and there was only 1!!! available (Canyon Red). I think that very few if any dealers ordered the NA 08 elise for the lot...

As an aside i finally got to actually see my car in person yesterday!!! Now i just have to wait till Tuesday for them to get the PDI done so i can drive it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts