The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I was attempting to bolt down the shifter assembly better, by adding the bolt and spacer as seen here:

Lotus Elise Gear Shift Frame Brace

But, the nut insert that the 8mm bolt goes into came loose as I was tightening down my new bolt. So now, I have a bolt stuck in the spinning nut insert and no good way of removing it. I plan on drilling off the head, and cutting the bolt close to the floor. Then removing the shift assembly, and drilling out the nut insert. I bought new rivet nuts, and an installation tool.

I found this recent guide here: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/how-repair-loose-diffuser-rivnut-466690/ will the same method work in my application? If so, and the old rivet nut falls through the hole, is it stuck in the floor rattling around or will I be able to recover it? I'm gonna tackle this on Saturday probably.

Thanks, and I appreciate any advice!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yea it will likely rattle around if you let it fall in.

I would try to drill it out from the inside out rather than using one large bit to drill off the "head"
You then may be able to just thin it out enough to hit it with a punch from the sides and fold it and be able to pull it out the top.

Interested to see if anyone has a clever tip

1 - 2 of 2 Posts