The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know its not an important issue such as a broken tranny or a blown head gasket...
Its my driver side front marker lens.
The PO evidently had it removed and reinstalled using the wrong size screws; too large and driven too tight; one side of the marker was cracked and sheared off; the other side I could not remove the screw and had to bust the lens off the screw shank. Now I have an empty socket with a stuck screw. Whatever nut or retaining clip behind the fixture is rotating with the screw and I'm unable to back out (remove) the screw.

What's the best mechanically, cosmetically sound and least destructive procedure for dealing with this?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Damn these looney bins and their lax security. You should file a report with the police. :D

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,684 Posts
OH.... I thought you were talking about me...

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,684 Posts
On a serious note, you might want to try a zipnut or other type screw insert..

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,684 Posts

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Sounds like you are facing a bumper removal at this point. If it just spins in the backend, you're not going to get anywhere with any tool unless you can stop the spinning. Once the bumper is off, it should be easy sailing.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
A Dremel Tool is probably the best alternative. Cut the head off and remove the light and then you should be able to access behind it to grab and remove the nut.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll try to drill it out with a Dremel; I'm sure the backing nut will fall down inside the front where it will live in perpetuity; hopefully never clogging up the works or shorting something out. Wonder how I'm going to attach the lens; The duct tape look is already getting old...

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
I'll try to drill it out with a Dremel; I'm sure the backing nut will fall down inside the front where it will live in perpetuity; hopefully never clogging up the works or shorting something out. Wonder how I'm going to attach the lens; The duct tape look is already getting old...
If the screw is self-tapping, it will be hardened and very difficult to drill out. If It is a machine screw, you might drill it out, but I think it would be difficult and just as likely to result in a hollow screw or a stub still attached to the nut.

I suggest drilling a 1/16" hole a short distance from the edge of the screw. Then insert a 1/16" wire into the hole in an attempt to keep the nut or nut plate from turning. If you think the fastener is a hex nut in the molded plastic, you'll drill pretty close to the screw. If you think it's a nut plate, then the hole will be a little farther away.

Good luck!

Glen

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Look at it this way, you can take the bumper off and use the opportunity to really clean out your radiators. All the other suggestions are bound to screw up something on your Lotus.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Look at it this way, you can take the bumper off and use the opportunity to really clean out your radiators. All the other suggestions are bound to screw up something on your Lotus.
You're rather attached to the idea of removing my bumper -poke- I have to admit the concept is growing on me; and I especially like the idea of the radiator maintenance. So, how hard is it to remove a front bumper? and reattach a front bumper, of course...

found this:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/front-bumper-removal-115170/

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
You're rather attached to the idea of removing my bumper -poke- I have to admit the concept is growing on me; and I especially like the idea of the radiator maintenance. So, how hard is it to remove a front bumper? and reattach a front bumper, of course...

found this:
From what I have seen in the other threads, it's a pain in the *ss like most Esprit operations, but you are in a unique predicament. It's a lot of screws all over the place holding on that bumper.

You know, you may be able to reach the nut perfectly fine after just removing the lower valence and not the entire bumper... That would be a much easier repair.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
From what I have seen in the other threads, it's a pain in the *ss like most Esprit operations, but you are in a unique predicament. It's a lot of screws all over the place holding on that bumper.

You know, you may be able to reach the nut perfectly fine after just removing the lower valence and not the entire bumper... That would be a much easier repair.
At risk of beating this trivial thread to a pulp...

Firstly, thank you all for the ideas and proposed solutions; each and every one are truly worthy. However, after having read the "earthy" description of removing a front bumper (see above link); I've decided try this option:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/left-front-marker-replacement-86218/

If that fails, I'll try accessing via the removed lower valence.

Thanks again.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
That thread is regarding an Elise/Exige, and doesn't apply to the Esprit.

I don't think you'll be able to access it either from underneath either. The bumper is filled with foam and the marker lights are molded into it. To fix it right, you're going to have to remove the bumper.

Jim

·
Registered
576 Posts
That thread talks of removing the SIDE marker, not the turn signal.
Taking off the front valance and bumper is pretty big PIA. And likely you will run into other frozen bolts.
We just pulled the front off a '94 S4, same as your car.
We also removed the lights.
I am out of town so I can't check to see what those screws go into, and I can't remember exactly the setup.
Get a hold of Tom at [email protected]. He did most of the work, and refurbished the lights.

Randy

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
That thread is regarding an Elise/Exige, and doesn't apply to the Esprit.

I don't think you'll be able to access it either from underneath either. The bumper is filled with foam and the marker lights are molded into it. To fix it right, you're going to have to remove the bumper.

Jim
Oh well...:sad:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts