The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Stan,
don't know if you were kidding but as Babak says you need to lower it down and press at the lock mechanism to close it. Dropping it runs the risk of stress cracking the gel coat over time
Chris

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Stan,
don't know if you were kidding but as Babak says you need to lower it down and press at the lock mechanism to close it. Dropping it runs the risk of stress cracking the gel coat over time
Chris
You mean Aty right? ;)

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>don't know if you were kidding but as Babak says you need to lower it down and press at the lock mechanism to close it. Dropping it runs the risk of stress cracking the gel coat over time <<<

No I wasn't kidding, that is what I do all the time. It seems to work just fine. I'll take a careful look at the engine cover tomorrow. It's a pretty popular closing method from what I have seen. And our passenger and driver doors are safe to be closed that way, but I'll give it some thought, thanks.

I think my cover has experienced much more stress from other closing it the wrong way. As in pressing near the rearmost edge.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Most of us in Europe close it by the drop method. Doing it the other way and pushing it down can over time leave a dent in bodywork...

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
To drop or not to drop

I also use the drop method. If it was lighter I probably will push, but since it has enougth weight it seems like the thing to do.

Edit: Back to the topic, I think the review was fair, he pretty much said the car is not for everybody we all know that is true.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
We all know the elise is not for everyone, and we all know that there are compromises involved, and I understand the author is pointing out those compromises.
To his credit he does state the NUMEROUS flaws shrink to near insignificance when driving.

It is more the sharply critical tone he takes regarding those compromises, which goes beyond pointing them out to inform potential buyers:

"ludicrous inconveniences" - is that the cup holder perhaps?
"sloppy assembly" - I invite him to check out mine
"guaranteed to please your chiropractor" - I have driven many cars at least as rough riding as the elise

If you think that is fair and balanced you are watching too much CNN

And my understanding is that the car was crash-tested and passed all safety standards, the exemption applying to the 2.5mph bumpers, not being a safety issue.Whether the crash data is available to the public I don't know....

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Well in this picture the angle is not level, but I wouldn't want to be hit on the side by an F350.

Remember to be very aware of every other vehicle when driving this car and asume they are distracted.

Attachments

21 - 28 of 28 Posts