The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm driving home on the West Side highway around 3:30AM and I see an accident up ahead. Whole roads blocked off by a police car and as I drive by it I notice it's an undercover police yellow cab all decked out with hidden lights, the works.

I don't feel so safe now flying past a taxi in the twisties up near the Cloisters. Or on the west side highway for that matter. So be careful those of you from Manhattan who are brave enough to own a Lotus in the city.

Sorry no picture by the time I saw it I was driving past it without a camera I could get to quickly. Maybe this is nothing new, but I've lived here for 26 years on and off and I've never seen one. :cool:

I'm always on the look out for Impalas, Caprice's, Crown Vics. But never yellow ones.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
They've had those in Boston for a long time as far as I knew. Also here in CO there is a TrailBlazer with a light bar in the ski rack that patrols I-25 north of Castle Rock. :eek: Sneaky bastards... lol

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Yep....the some of the locals have old 80's Camaros with bad paint jobs and 454's in them..... Local Troy Police have this gem...confiscated in a drug raid....they USE it as a marked car.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Sorry Charlie, but if a vehicle that was marked and painted as a taxi pulled up behind me and hit the lights I'd ignore it until a real cop showed up.

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry Charlie, but if a vehicle that was marked and painted as a taxi pulled up behind me and hit the lights I'd ignore it until a real cop showed up.
Given what I know about NYC police officers I don't think that would be in your best interest.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Never seen one of those. Many of the new Chargers are on the highways but never seen an undercover cab.

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V3SXAoBn5ys&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V3SXAoBn5ys&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j-vzQR50zVw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j-vzQR50zVw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Registered
8 Posts
First time I saw one was two or three years ago, also on the west side highway. The taxi was too clean and shiny to be the real deal, and the undercover cop had aviators and a cheesy mustache. He looked like one of the Beastie Boys in that video of their song, Sabotage.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
The police should NEVER use an unmarked car to pull people over.
You are risking your life if you stop for any nutjob with lights.
I use the same light kit for my alarm system.
Anyone can have them.
That's why they have marked cars.
Impersonating police officers and vehicles predates the auto.
You risk carjacking, rape and murder if you stop for unknown cars.
Don't do it.
Call 911 immediately if an unmarked car attempts to stop you.

Ethical police departments don't pull over anyone with an unmarked car.
And the police departments should be the ones telling the public this.
Some do.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Wait till you pull over for a fake police car, then tell us.
There have been several cases recently here resulting in death.
It happens more often than you hear about.
Bounty hunters often impersonate the police too.

I had a bounty hunter show up doing that and looking for someone who had never lived there.
I called the police immediately.
When they showed up, they said they couldn't do anything about him.
They also told the bounty hunter they would just stand there and watch while I shot him.
He decided not to invade my home.

When a car is unmarked, call the police right then.
Go to the nearest police station if possible or crowded place.
I would not speed unless the car becomes aggressive, but I would keep going until a marked car shows up.
This does not always go well.

This is a question that should never come up.
When police use these tactics, they put us all at risk.
Complain about the practice now before you have to make a life and death decision with carjackers behind you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts