The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All you guys that have been having trouble with inspecting our lotus in NYS this year... its because they have all updated the OBD smog inspection computers and there are a few makes of cars that are having trouble connecting with them. One happens to be LOTUS of course! I found a tech support line at the DMV inspections division (518) 474-5282 x 4 ROB he seen on his end of the computer that my lotus didn't go all the way through with a pass sticker so he over rode my vin and my inspection station just had to re run the test to pass. Says they are working on software to recognize the loti and other cars that are problems but for now the inspection station can call him to pass it through...

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
called in, should be all set for this saturday's inspection

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a legit problem that all NY guys should be aware of.. They should sticky this post as the inspection stations don't even know about this ...

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I second this ^

If a mod could sticky this in the northeast region at the least

·
Registered
514 Posts
I ran into this today. Wish I read it 12 hours earlier!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I found a tech support line at the DMV inspections division (518) 474-5282 x 4 ROB
Just called and spoke to Mark who transferred me to Rob. He was great, 2 minutes and he said "ok I'm going to do some tweaking on my end and in 15 minutes you'll be good to go."

I'm going to try and get re-inspected today and will report back.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm going to try and get re-inspected today and will report back.
Worked perfectly. Didn't even need to hook the OBD connector up. Actually it gives an error if it is hooked up. Just scan the registration bar code and the computer automatically passes the car.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I went through this today. Would not work on my Elise. We called the tech number provided by the software company that wrote the app and they made us run through it 3 times. Generate a error report, fax them the error report. Wait 15 minutes and then try again. It worked but I was there for 1.5 hours for something that should have taken 20 minutes.

By the way, the number you have given did not work for me. All I got was a 4 choice menu, none of the choices pertained to my issue and no place to key in a extension number.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have an 08 Exige S passed nys inspection today. The first shop demanded they lift the car I told them to screw off. Hopefully this means whatever firmware update was needed went through.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
any time my car goes to a garage for anything, i tell them and get it in writing not to lift my car. period. or it will fall off

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tony that's weird they may have changed the number with too many people calling.? It will be interesting when I take my Exige in this week...

·
Registered
514 Posts
By the way, the number you have given did not work for me. All I got was a 4 choice menu, none of the choices pertained to my issue and no place to key in a extension number.
You select option 4 in the four-choice menu.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Are people still having issues with this? I have my inspection scheduled for today at 5:30, the DMV office closes at 4. They told me they can't help me until my car issues a failing report, so I will have to get inspected twice.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
You select option 4 in the four-choice menu.
I did choose 4 one of the times. 20 minutes later I was still on hold. By that time the guy doing the inspection called the software company that does the software. They gave him a number that he called. That is where they told him to run the test 3 times, get a report generated and then fax the report to them. Then wait 15 min and try again. It all worked but like I said earlier, a 20 min thing took 1.5 hours. and I have my car to do now. That was my sons car.

A real pain in the arss.

Edit...and since I use a guy that I want to remain on good terms with. I cannot just give the $20 for 1.5 hours of work. So I gave him $50 which in reality is too little anyways. This really sucks.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Rob took care of it for me.

The first time I went to get inspected my car was unable to connect. I called Rob and went back a few days later. I was in and out in less than 5 minutes with a new sticker.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Oh man if only I read this a few weeks ago. It took me 4 trips to three different inspection places over two weeks to get mine done. The first two places figured it was something with my car. Finally I went way out of my way to go to a friends place and he knew what the problem was immediately, except Clean Air NY was closed already for the day so I had to go back the next day. They knew exactly what to do. I felt bad for my buddy who doesn't make any money on the inspection. It only cost me $10! Not even the full $21, for over an hour of his time. Typical New York State, anything the state touches, withers and dies...

1 - 20 of 94 Posts