The Lotus Cars Community banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Scott M
240 Posts
Return trip today = success!
I had written-up those steps for the tech and it was smooth sailing.

Funny thing: I just noticed errant mileage on the print out of the initial, failed attempt: 69,998 instead of ~7,000.
That would have been annoying...

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
One of our LOONYs just tried it again this morning. Still not working right. Same BS. This is 3 years now to get a fix. Obviously they have no intention of fixing it. NOTHING takes 3 years.

·
Registered
335 Posts
One of our LOONYs just tried it again this morning. Still not working right. Same BS. This is 3 years now to get a fix. Obviously they have no intention of fixing it. NOTHING takes 3 years.
That was me. Thanx Tony.

By time I got back to the shop with Tony's info, the tech had found the printout I made for him last year and did the job. Now it's in the car with me.

My suggestion would be to print out the info and contact # and keep it with the car for next year.

Noel

·
Scott M
240 Posts
Just in case anyone is looking for a 2017 update...
According to the clean air/smog guy I spoke to at the number posted earlier in this thread, no Lotus has been moved off the exempt list for this year.

If that process worked for you in NY last year, you should experience the same again in '17.

Paste from the step thread:
Instruct the shop to do these final steps:
a) Complete the inspection as usual up until the point of communicating with the DMV
b) When prompted to connect the communication cable- *DON'T*
c) When prompted by the computer to confirm you connected the cable, "TELL IT YOU DID"
6) The system should then find my car on the exception list and pass it

Requirements:
- Vehicle otherwise passes the NYS Inspection
- No CEL

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 2005 Elise passed NYS inspection a few weeks ago without issue. The guys who did it remembered the procedure from last time, and it was quick and easy.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks for the updates, I am due this month for inspection. Will report back if any issues.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I am taking it to a shop nearby, you guys don't let them put the car on the lift right? Last time I got it inspected I told them not to.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Passed earlier today. I would call the number mentioned above, speak to Mike to verify that your VIN is still on the exception list. Happy inspections, Lotus peeps

·
Registered
21 Posts
Working on getting my car(05elise) inspected in NY and people dont want to help me out. They still have the computer issue in 2019. I did call the number and was explained how the process works. I then called where I failed my inspection and they pretty much told me to shove it. Im calling around to see if anyone will do the process and after 5 places im starting to loose hope. Fingers crossed that the closest lotus dealership will have an open spot this week. Called them today and they're full.

·
Scott M
240 Posts
2019... Depending on what "shove it" means, the process is actually really simple once the smog/verification/whatever 3rd party have your Lotus VIN in their database for NY exempt (which it sounds like you did). Other than the part about the service garage telling the system your OBDII port is connected when it isn't, the garage doesn't need to do anything else special.

Why do you think you are having trouble getting an appointment?

·
Registered
21 Posts
They don't want to spend the time to go through the steps to pass it. The other places are afraid to put the car on the lift which I'm happy they are upfront and don't try to screw me over.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have an appointment with west herr chevy to have it done. The head service manager knows exactly what my problem is because he's had to do the same thing with his car. Looking forward to having this headache disappear

·
Registered
106 Posts
For people still having this issue, this is the number to call (518) 474-2448, his name is Josh. He knows about the issue. BUT, you have to take your car in and have it fail before they can put you in the database, I just tried to do it before an inspection and he can’t do that.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts