The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
All cars '96 and newer sold in the US have to be ODB-II compliant, including the Elise. Additionally, the Elise is purported to support the CAN-Bus in addition to the OBD-II.

OBD-II will be sufficient for trouble diagnostics and determining and clearing the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light, aka CEL - check Engine Light). The CAN-Bus might be more interesting if you want to check into the performance and/or possibly modifying things.

I have an ODB-II scanner from here, and he now has a combo model that has ODB-II and CAN-Bus

·
Registered
120 Posts
tbsmith said:
Thanks, Tim. Do you know if the OBD scan tools like yours will be obsolete with CAN equipped vehicles, or will they still work (without the extra features)?
the ODB scan tools work fine on a CAN equipped car.

The elise is a CAN equipped car, and i can connect my Autoxray 500 scanner to it and it works fine.

I tried it a few days back, i also took the gas cap off and got the check engine light on, the scanner got the code and i cleared it.

Vince

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vince, Did you mean the Autoxray 5000? I can't find the model 500. I went to their website and model 5000 is specifically compatible with CAN. So that still leaves the question whether an OBD-II scanner (or software) will work with the Elise.

·
Registered
120 Posts
tbsmith said:
Vince, Did you mean the Autoxray 5000? I can't find the model 500. I went to their website and model 5000 is specifically compatible with CAN. So that still leaves the question whether an OBD-II scanner (or software) will work with the Elise.
Sorry i meant the Autoxray 5000, yes its CAN compatable. but any cheapo ODB-II scanner will work on the car. Kragen has one for $99 and it will work fine to read the codes, it just doesn't give you live data from the enginee.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have this one...

It works great and is compatible with many of the free OBDII software on the net. The ScanTool.net website also offers free downloadable software and links. I've used it on my MDX and my wifes Town & Country... (No Elise yet, any volunteers in Washington State?)
It's a nice interface, with a clear plexiglass top so you can "relaxen und watchen das blinken lights"

I'm working on a car menu that will run on a Car PC and the idea is to have either a GPS or the OBDII place the MPH in the middle of the Car Menu. What I'm trying to say, is the data stream is workable in the sense that you can pull out data you need for any custom applications (other OBDII units should be the same)

The Scantool.net link...
The DigitalMDX link (no car menu info, but has some other projects)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've seen their web site and it looks good, but the obddiagnostics.com works with any system (except CAN) for only $88. Whereas all the others I've seen cost extra for each version, or are much more expensive. I just don't know if it will work with the Elise.

Tom

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I would expect that the Elise will work with the any standard ODB-II scanner that supports the proper protocol (there's three - some scanners only support one, some two, some (like mine) support all three). The Federal regulations require all '96 and newer cars sold in the US to support ODB-II - there are no real exceptions, and it was probably the main reason that the Toyota engine was installed in our cars instead of the old Rover engine.

The fact that the CAN-Bus is also available from the same plug just adds additional capabilities, but for basic emission control and diagnostics, the Elise has to support ODB-II. The actual ODB-II connector under the dash is a 15 pin connector (if I remember correctly) - the various ODB-II protocols only use a couple of the pins. Some cars use some of the additional pins for ABS system diagnostics, SRS diagnostics (air-bags), and obviously, for the Elise, the CAN-Bus. I'm not sure that the pin-outs for all the additional connections are standardized, but they have to be for the ODB-II standard (and most likely the CAN-Bus).

I'll try to remember to hook up my ODB-II scanner this weekend just to verify.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
TimMullen said:
I would expect that the Elise will work with the any standard ODB-II scanner that supports the proper protocol
Yep.

I think we already had one confirmation that a standard (ISO-9141) OBD-II scantool works fine.

The other formats use different pinouts, so it's not hard to be certain.

The fact that the CAN-Bus is also available from the same plug just adds additional capabilities, but for basic emission control and diagnostics, the Elise has to support ODB-II.
In fact, the Elise may not send basic OBD diagnostics over CANBus at all. They have no specific requirement on the CANBus and can use it for whatever data they like, so long as the OBD requirements are met on the K-Line (ISO OBD-II).

Some cars put the OBD parameters on both, but most I've seen do not.

The actual ODB-II connector under the dash is a 15 pin connector
16, if you're picky. :)

I'm not sure that the pin-outs for all the additional connections are standardized, but they have to be for the ODB-II standard (and most likely the CAN-Bus).
OBD-II, ISO Style, is required to be on pins 4/ground, 5/ground, 7/K, 16/pwr -- Pin 15 (L) is optional.

Some (most?) implementations skip the additional L-Line, but the K-Line (Pin 7) is required and it's the one most scantools use. If you have a metal contact at Pin 7, it's 99% certain you have an ISO-9141 OBD-II port and can use any compatible scantool.

HS CANBus is usually (always?) on 6 & 14 when present. While the bus interface is well-defined, the data on it is open to manufacturer whim and I don't yet know what Lotus is pushing out there. Like I said, it could be Beethoven, or it could be Yankee insults.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
If I got and OBD-II scanner, could I do the full ECU dump like the dealer will do at the 1000 mile checkup? If OBD-II won't do it, how can we? CAN bus? Something else?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
ChrisH said:
If I got and OBD-II scanner, could I do the full ECU dump like the dealer will do at the 1000 mile checkup? If OBD-II won't do it, how can we? CAN bus? Something else?
The OBD-II parameters are a 'basic' set of test results, freezeframe data (for failures), and real-time parameters you can read. They're really just the lowest-common-denominator stuff that is required of a car.

It's almost entirely emissions related -- loose gas cap, faulty O2 sensor, misfires.. The data available is really generic -- a long list of standardized trouble codes.

All the manufacturer-specific stuff is either undocumented extensions to OBD-II via special PID values and so on, or a totally different data bus.

Lotus appears to use the CANBus on the ECU for their extra stuffing. The Lotus Scantool knows the right language to speak and can read all these values out and interpret them correctly.

No other off-the-shelf scanner is able to do the same -- the ECU dump needs to be done by the Lotus tool.

Any OBD-II tool can clear your Check Engine light, though.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
So all we need is for someone to figure out (or leak) the Lotus secret codes and make them available to folks who have a CAN bus scanner. Any volunteers?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
It's a nice interface, with a clear plexiglass top so you can "relaxen und watchen das blinken lights"
For those who don't get the joke:

SIGN ABOVE OFFICE PHOTO COPY MACHINE

ACHTUNG
ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS!

Dies Machine is nicht fur
gerfingerpoken und mitten-
graben. Ist easy schnappen
der springenwerk, blowen-
fusen und poppen corken
mit spitzensparken. Is nicht
fur gerwerken by das dumm-
kopfen. Das rubber necken
sightseerers keepen hands
in das pockets-relaxen, und
watchen das blinken lights.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to close this thread out, I ordered the $88 OBD interface from obddiagnostics.com and tried it out in the Elise and it does work. I haven't explored all the features, but it had no trouble communicating - showed RPM's, O2 sensor output, etc.

I've used Freescan on the Esprit and this is similar, although I liked freescan's opening screen a little better. With obddiagnostics, you have to right click on any parameter you want to monitor. However, this unit does seem to have more features in menus I haven't explored yet, and best of all it will do all of my other cars.

Tom

·
Registered
383 Posts
ECU dump via OBD2 scan tool?

So all we need is for someone to figure out (or leak) the Lotus secret codes and make them available to folks who have a CAN bus scanner. Any volunteers?
Thought I'd revive this old thread to see if anyone has done an ECU dump using one of the available OBD2 scan tools.
Perhaps it's easier on 2008+ cars as those have the CAN bus architecture.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I bought the Kiwi wifi, and its incompatible with the CAN BUS.. causes the dash to reset.
I talked to the kiwi folks, and they told me to just disable pin 14

1 - 20 of 22 Posts