The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I popped into autozone the other day to pickup a few cans of contact cleaner and such to check for vacuum leaks and they had a note on the door saying that california legislation has changed and they are no longer allowed to lend OBD II scanners, for free or rental, only sell, I talked to the guy inside a bit about it, he says they're not even allowed to tell you what the code means anymore.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Depressing...although I bought one awhile back at a HUGE discount (no idea why it was discounted so much) from a Kragen.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I popped into autozone the other day to pickup a few cans of contact cleaner and such to check for vacuum leaks and they had a note on the door saying that california legislation has changed and they are no longer allowed to lend OBD II scanners, for free or rental, only sell, I talked to the guy inside a bit about it, he says they're not even allowed to tell you what the code means anymore.
Well thats a load of crap.. That helped me out a lot in the past... Now I gotta go buy one..

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
From what i hear, all the independent mechanics were complaining about Autozone's free services...

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
This stinks. I just borrowed one last month. I'd love to see the legislation and see how it was justified.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Wow, that's some BS. I picked up a simple onea few years back and I've been satisfied with it. All it does is list codes and came with a booklet with basic decriptions (ie. EGR flow ecessive), but it has been good enough for me. I figure I've used it enough that I've made up the $40 I paid for it by not having to run to Autozone or Advance Auto.

·
Registered
47 Posts
From what i hear, all the independent mechanics were complaining about Autozone's free services...
Thats really frustrating that a free service that only takes a measly 2 minutes now costs the average joe $75+. Hopefully anyone that used the free service will just pickup an obd reader and not get sucked into paying a premium for this service from a local shop AND risk being sucked into buying parts, services, etc...

*sits back and enjoys carputer complete with scantool usb obdii reader*

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
How in the hell would they word such a law? They can now regulate whether people can help others out in CA? Don't loan your neighbor a cup of sugar, or you'll end up in the slammer...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts